Who Wins? DLS or STA? (A: STA)

181pl

Who Wins? DLS or STA?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins? DLS or STA?

• De La Salle
    • Saint Thomas Aquinas

On 7/14/2019 at 10:56 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

This is a coherent post.   I agree with most of it.  It’s frustrating for everyone not to be able to vett Lakeland appropriately due to the tomorrow cans on the schedule.

Very similar to the devil.  Could be uberly talented and well coached but need that signature win to get up to the higher Tiers.

This is a great point.  I am half sick to death of these poseur teams playing tomorrow cans!

Who do they think they are!

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2019 at 6:49 PM, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I'm going with teamwork, execution and discipline over a team of great athletes led by a coach who lacks discipline in post game decorum.

24-21 Dela.

BGW

I like the sentiment, but I don't know the story about STA's coach.

What happened? 

2 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

What happened? 

Harriot wouldn't shake the Venice coach hand after playoff game this past year

I would go into more detail but if i say more that jackass Los will show up because anytime anything is said not kissing STA ass and saying how great they are the dweeb boy returns to whine and bitch 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

What happened? 

Postgame, it was posted this season past, didn't shake with the opponent coach.

Newspaper article...https://www.snntv.com/story/39577667/st-thomas-aquinas-coach-refuses-post-game-handshake-of-venice

A video no less, I'll look for it.

BGW

Still think any predictions at this point are pretty meaningless. But, I will say a couple things stand out:

1) It's a good bet DLS has the better coaching staff

2) DLS is settled at QB with a player they like. STA is not settled at the position.

3) The game is a home game for DLS.

Those factors make it hard to pick against them.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, badrouter said:

Still think any predictions at this point are pretty meaningless. But, I will say a couple things stand out:

1) It's a good bet DLS has the better coaching staff

2) DLS is settled at QB with a player they like. STA is not settled at the position.

3) The game is a home game for DLS.

Those factors make it hard to pick against them.

Yep. Totally at this point. But we'll predict anyways because WE are all knowing here on this board. Remember?🤣😎

The STA kids have to fly to west. And this is an ESPN game as well. The game will be 3 hours instead of 2. It'll be a late night for the STA kids. DLS should be able to be able to keep their studs on the field a bit more due to the TV timeouts. This will hopefully mitigate a part of the talent gap that favors STA.

That said, and keeping it real, STA's talent gap advantage is pretty significant on paper. I feel like if/when STA settles in at the QB position, and they execute a gameplan that takes advantage of their superior talent, they will be very tough to beat just by the very makeup of their team. Even with all of the advantages for DLS, it will be tough to overcome...but can be done. Thankfully, many of the key players for DLS have played MD a few times, BG, etc to get used to what they're going to be playing against. But many of DLS's kids coming up to varsity have STA in their first varsity game😲🤣

This is a very intriguing matchup for sure.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Yep. Totally at this point. But we'll predict anyways because WE are all knowing here on this board. Remember?🤣😎

The STA kids have to fly to west. And this is an ESPN game as well. The game will be 3 hours instead of 2. It'll be a late night for the STA kids. DLS should be able to be able to keep their studs on the field a bit more due to the TV timeouts. This will hopefully mitigate a part of the talent gap that favors STA.

That said, and keeping it real, STA's talent gap advantage is pretty significant on paper. I feel like if/when STA settles in at the QB position, and they execute a gameplan that takes advantage of their superior talent, they will be very tough to beat just by the very makeup of their team. Even with all of the advantages for DLS, it will be tough to overcome...but can be done. Thankfully, many of the key players for DLS have played MD a few times, BG, etc to get used to what they're going to be playing against. But many of DLS's kids coming up to varsity have STA in their first varsity game😲🤣

This is a very intriguing matchup for sure.

Good points Blueliner. And speaking of intriguing matchups don't forget about M. Dumervil. At 6-6 305 the kid is a beast. After watching highlights of him it's going to take 2 of those upcoming varsity DLS players to try and stop him. And what does Dumervil share in common with DLS players? He plays both ways. Yikes. The DLS coaches may want to think about running some plays on the opposite side of where he lines up. 🤔 I do agree having played against other elite teams like MD & BG does help the veteran players. Hale will be the leader on offense, hopefully Garrett will take charge of the leadership role on defense. They will need veterans to make sure those guys playing their first varsity game don't get caught flat footed looking like a "deer in headlights". 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

Good points Blueliner. And speaking of intriguing matchups don't forget about M. Dumervil. At 6-6 305 the kid is a beast. After watching highlights of him it's going to take 2 of those upcoming varsity DLS players to try and stop him. And what does Dumervil share in common with DLS players? He plays both ways. Yikes. The DLS coaches may want to think about running some plays on the opposite side of where he lines up. 🤔 I do agree having played against other elite teams like MD & BG does help the veteran players. Hale will be the leader on offense, hopefully Garrett will take charge of the leadership role on defense. They will need veterans to make sure those guys playing their first varsity game don't get caught flat footed looking like a "deer in headlights". 

He's ok. He might make a few plays🤣. Dude's an absolute beast. Do ya double Dumervil and run right at him? Or do ya run away from him? But does he have the speed to pursuit? It's probably a pick your poison type deal. DLS coaches have their work cut out for them on both sides of the ball.

Hale is the leader on that offense for sure. There is no question. DLS will go as he does in this game. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a Captain as only a junior. Not too many underclassmen have done that. The last one was Sweeney in '14. Garrett is the unquestioned leader on the defensive side. Ben Roe (DT) is right there too. Watch out for that kid. Total beast. Squats 600 lbs. Benches 450. Champion wrestler at 285#. Is going to be tough to block. 

But those kids coming up are gonna be like 😲. As you said, it's up to those Captains/leaders to keep them calm, focused, and not intimidated. 

5 hours ago, 181pl said:

Back to the Spartans v. the Raiders. 

I've seen DLS with excellent but smallish lines and then sometimes big lines as well. Does the current DLS squad have D1 size on the line?  Because you know STA will.

They'll likely be 240, 285, 240, 275, 250 down the OL. This will be a tough, agile OL. Will it be enough against 300 pounders pretty much across STA's DL remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

They'll likely be 240, 285, 240, 275, 250 down the OL. This will be a tough, agile OL. Will it be enough against 300 pounders pretty much across STA's DL remains to be seen. 

But what kind of shape will those 300 DL be in the 4th q?  In the good ole days DBP would be smaller then most and whip their asses for 4 quarters!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

But what kind of shape will those 300 DL be in the 4th q?  In the good ole days DBP would be smaller then most and whip their asses for 4 quarters!

I’m pretty sure DLS will be looking to do the same. They did it to SJC. But you know STA will be well-conditioned themselves. Sparty better pack a lunch. It’s gonna be a long day. 

4 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Don't think STA will be 300 across the D line.   They do have a 330+ nose tackle type, but then going to be pretty lean and fast.  

• Like 1