Rutgers suing Ruston HS (LA) over logo

HSFBfan

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

Just NOT much you can really do with a damn R though.......Ruston has been Ruston forever,

Florida State is pretty tight with that "spear"......they busted some Florida school a few years back for using it.

Union's (OK) logo is very similar to Miami's....no problems that  I know of.

665a706769048270029aa02b69948214.jpg

miami_hurricanes_white_7050.jpg

Rummel uses a block R.  Why aren’t they getting sued?

20 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

Rummel uses a block R.  Why aren’t they getting sued?

That was actually the first thing I thought when I saw this thread, but I really didn't want to talk about it too much. Some petty folks around here...Rummel even played in NJ, go figure.

AND, Rummel plays Ruston Week 4 this year. I'm sure we will be next.

Koy-Moore-2018-663-663x280.jpg

39 minutes ago, RedZone said:

That was actually the first thing I thought when I saw this thread, but I really didn't want to talk about it too much. Some petty folks around here...Rummel even played in NJ, go figure.

AND, Rummel plays Ruston Week 4 this year. I'm sure we will be next.

Koy-Moore-2018-663-663x280.jpg

That's what I was on about before. 

The more coverage and notariety a team gets, the greater the likelihood of some petty lawsuit. Especially as teams and others are making money from their recognition in various ways. Getting used on gatorade commercials and etc. Those type things. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 4:54 PM, Horsefly said:

So let me get this straight.  Rutgers is upset over the font style of a letter being used, neither of which they developed or created.   

Isn’t the longhorns doing the same thing????

https://www.google.com/amp/s/usatodayhss.com/2019/payson-high-school-cease-and-desist-letter-texas-logo/amp

14 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Like I said before how can a letter font be trademarked?  It’s used widely. 

The longhorn symbol and color are unique, specifically created by UT 

On 7/21/2019 at 11:59 AM, RedZone said:

Just NOT much you can really do with a damn R though.......Ruston has been Ruston forever,

Florida State is pretty tight with that "spear"......they busted some Florida school a few years back for using it.

Union's (OK) logo is very similar to Miami's....no problems that  I know of.

665a706769048270029aa02b69948214.jpg

miami_hurricanes_white_7050.jpg

At least Union Parish (LA) was smart enough to make theirs just different enough...

unionp.jpg

• Like 1

The problem with the Ivy League schools is that they have so many lawyers to protect their brand. I understand why Rutgers had to do this, but they could still let Ruston use the logo if they paid a license fee or something. I heard Ruston kids were buying stuff from the Rutgers online stores, so it actually helps their university. Lawyers don't think that way, and I guess that's why other colleges also went after high schools that used their logo. I heard there was a high school that used the LSU tiger for their mascot and they had to stop. I mean how can you copyright a tiger?