Powerful documentary about St.Frances (#2 team in the Nation) Poverty, Struggle, Gangs

BobbySanchez

The Soviet Union would still be around if they had a propaganda arm as good as Saint Biff's.

Lets talk about the local kids that could have gone to Saint Frances that now lost their spots to rich kids from out of state/out of the country. I'm sure Dana Holgersen's kid (who pretty much took one look at the place and left) was living on the street while his dad made millions per year. Or the fact that for the first time in history a school investing in their football program has actually LOWERED the percentage of minorities that go to a school. SFA was 100% African-American before Biff needed his white kickers, linemen and quarterbacks.

After the Baltimore Sun got rid of their HS football reporter/Biff's personal PR woman I'm happy to say there has been zero local coverage of Saint Frances in months. Their last feature article in the Sun was on October 19th. The only Baltimore Metro sports-focused website has written one article about them since the Geico Bowl.

I'm just glad they're out of the other private schools' hair. They can stop pretending they weren't doing anything the other MIAA A schools were doing and can go chase IMG. I only worry about what happens to the school when Biff and his money leave. Saint Frances (founded 1828) is the oldest Catholic school originally established for African-Americans in the United States, operating for 35 years in a slave state before the abolition of slavery. They are also pretty much broke. When Biff took his ball (and his money) and went home at Gilman, they had a $100 million endowment and literally dozens of millionaire alumni to fall back on. Saint Frances has the #1 overall pick in the 2009 WNBA draft and not a whole lot else.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 6:42 PM, eaglesinsider said:

The Soviet Union would still be around if they had a propaganda arm as good as Saint Biff's.

Lets talk about the local kids that could have gone to Saint Frances that now lost their spots to rich kids from out of state/out of the country. I'm sure Dana Holgersen's kid (who pretty much took one look at the place and left) was living on the street while his dad made millions per year. Or the fact that for the first time in history a school investing in their football program has actually LOWERED the percentage of minorities that go to a school. SFA was 100% African-American before Biff needed his white kickers, linemen and quarterbacks.

After the Baltimore Sun got rid of their HS football reporter/Biff's personal PR woman I'm happy to say there has been zero local coverage of Saint Frances in months. Their last feature article in the Sun was on October 19th. The only Baltimore Metro sports-focused website has written one article about them since the Geico Bowl.

I'm just glad they're out of the other private schools' hair. They can stop pretending they weren't doing anything the other MIAA A schools were doing and can go chase IMG. I only worry about what happens to the school when Biff and his money leave. Saint Frances (founded 1828) is the oldest Catholic school originally established for African-Americans in the United States, operating for 35 years in a slave state before the abolition of slavery. They are also pretty much broke. When Biff took his ball (and his money) and went home at Gilman, they had a $100 million endowment and literally dozens of millionaire alumni to fall back on. Saint Frances has the #1 overall pick in the 2009 WNBA draft and not a whole lot else.

If Biff leaves, he cant take back the $$ he has already spent. So the school has improved with his help and would be the same or better if he left today. But dont let facts get in your way...hate on.

Unfortunately, local coverage is about to pick up again...because...you know...it is almost football season.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Popzilla said:

If Biff leaves, he cant take back the $$ he has already spent. So the school has improved with his help and would be the same or better if he left today. But dont let facts get in your way...hate on.

Unfortunately, local coverage is about to pick up again...because...you know...it is almost football season.

You guys have really been slacking with the propaganda over the summer. Are you all only 10 month employees at Biff's firm? When Biff leaves. We all know he'll jump ship at the first good opportunity or will get out if he ever finally wins that elusive mythical national championship he's wasted his adult life and millions of dollars of his wife's money chasing.

What has he improved at Saint Frances that actually impacts any of the kids not on the football program? What lasting legacy has he left? Will he continue to pay the salaries for the coaches that work in the school when he walks away? The school is still based in a run down building next to a jail. They are still lagging far behind the other private schools in terms of infrastructure, test results and college placement.  They still don't have a practice field and still play their games in a park they rent from the city. All his money has gone into bringing in players, getting them nice uniforms and putting the out of state kids into nice apartments. Even if one of the mercenaries he brings in makes it to the NFL and sticks long enough to make real money, do you really think they'd give back to SFA? There has been little to no investment in anything that does not directly benefit him in the short term. So no, Saint Frances is no better than if he had never showed up. Without his seed money they wouldn't have had football (and the expense of football) in the first place so they might actually be better off financially. 

If he hadn't almost destroyed the MIAA (twice), I would almost feel bad for Biff. He's spent so much money and burned so many bridges, including at his alma mater, all in the pursuit of something that doesn't even really exist and that only a tiny fraction of the population cares about. And the worst part is that he's convinced himself and those that follow him that he's a modern day saint for doing so.

As far as media coverage, the Sun didn't do a single feature article on Saint Frances after Kathy Dunn got bought out. Their article on the Geico Bowl was part of a blurb that also provided updates on local college teams and the Major Arena Soccer League. Unless Biff bought the Sun or will pay to rehire his personal propaganda team, I expect local coverage will be at about that level.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high-school/bs-sp-digest-1215-20181214-story.html

On 7/28/2019 at 10:17 PM, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

To be perfectly honest, I don’t know anything about SFA until I joined this forum 02/2018. 

I see the ranked athletes and the discussion here but very little media wise (ESPN, et al).

The ensuing drama and the exit from MIAA is poor optics at this point.

It bears watching. 

BGW

Seems like something shady going on. 

If I was just watching coverage from the GEICO bowl and reading a few news stories over the last year, I'd really think Biff Poggi was a great guy and a saint. 

However, I read on here, and have seen some of the banter from detractors and also seen what type some of the guys talking him up on here are first hand. 

History will certainly tell the tale on what they're up to. 

I guess really I'm all for getting kids scholies and off the streets. As long as they're doing that, I guess, who cares if they're playing "king me"? 

• Like 1