Texas Teams...

BobbySanchez

1 hour ago, The Colonel said:

Excuses, excuses….LOL. The weather too, I’ll bet 😝 

That’s not an excuse. Traveling to get through Houston during afternoon rush hour is a ridiculous nightmare. 

If you ask some of the other Texans that have had to travel around the cities, for games, you’ll hear the same thing.

Now imagine trying to get multiple busses and semi-trailers through said traffic just to not only get through that traffic but a 2 - 4 hour drive to one of the other cities for a non-district game. 

I love oos games and big Texas matchups but for some of them to happen, It’s just going out of the way a little too much.

1 hour ago, SeaShells21 said:

doubt Aledo would run the tables once through any of their championship years in 6A. 

And everyone agrees with this  take except your blow hard Texas brethren who would post how Aledo should always be be ranked in the top 30-40 and scream about Texas depth 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ararar said:

And everyone agrees with this  take except your blow hard Texas brethren who would post how Aledo should always be be ranked in the top 30-40 and scream about Texas depth 

@The Colonel @Ararar

No way.

My idea of Texas depth is we always have a set list of (1.) ‘Texas state powers’ in their respective classes who have earned their title as such through years and even decades of consistent dominance. 

Katy, Mart, Aledo, Southlake Carroll, Lake Travis, Argyle, Denton Ryan, Allen, West Orange Stark, Richland Springs, Highland Park, etc.

[Once Euless Trinity, Judson, Canadian, Celina, Tyler, La Marque, Dangerfield etc.] 

and there is always an interchanging pool of (3.) ‘Non-powers’ who rise into the rank of (2.) City powers. The City powers are teams who are yearly consistently dangerous and capable of taking down a state power.

Atascocita, DeSoto, Ridge Point, Cedar Hill, Rockwall, Dickinson, Denton Guyer, Heath, Newton, La Vega, Stratford, Stamford, Liberty Hill, Ennis, etc.

[Once Cy-Fair, Cy-Ranch, Pearland, Cibolo Steele, etc.]

What’s even more interesting about this is a Texas City power can play an out of state game; lose:

Skyline (Tx.) 3 - St. Thomas Aquinas 31

then turn around and get destroyed by another Texas city power team, or Texas state power.

Skyline 0 - DeSoto 38

DeSoto 29 - IMG Academy 47

DeSoto 26 - Martin (Tx.) 46

Or the Texas team can beat an OOS opponent just as much as a national power. Go figure.

Carroll 21 - Miami Northwestern 29

Carroll 21 - Abilene 22

Carroll 49 - Rockwall 42

Cypress Bay (Fl.) 6 - Katy 31

Cypress Bay (Fl.) 0 - St. Thomas Aquinas 36

Plant (Fl.) 17 - Abilene (Tx.) 27

Plant (Fl.) 7 - St. Thomas Aquinas 29

Madison (Tx.) 6 - Miami Central 48

Madison (Tx.) 13 - Carthage 42

Booker T.W. (Fl.) 40 - Cedar Hill 21

Allen (Tx.) 37 - Cedar Hill 20

Katy (Tx.) 35 - Cedar Hill 24

IMG Academy 69 - Prestonwood (Tx.) 36

Bishop Dunne (Tx.) 42 - Prestonwood 10

St. Thomas Aquinas 41 - Viera 10

Allen (Tx.) 56 - Viera 20

Buford (Ga.) 42 - Timberview (Tx.) 21

Stephenville (Tx.) 42 - Timberview 21

Everman (Tx.) 56 - Stephenville 3

DeMatha 47 - Eastern C.A. 26

St. Peter’s Prep 41 - Eastern C.A. 14

St. Edward 35 - Eastern C.A. 6

Coppell 42 - Eastern C.A. 2

DeSoto 54 - Eastern C.A. 34

Euless Trinity 41 - Eastern C.A. 32

Colerain (Oh.) 27 - Tyler Lee 12

Euless Trinity (Tx.) 43 - Tyler Lee 14

Colerain was the defending national champion before the year they chose to come to Texas.

St. Edward, St. Peter’s Prep and DeMatha were all ranked number #1 in their states; St. Edward and St. Peter’s prep won state titles in their states and St. Edward was ranked number #3 in the nation.

Coppell (Tx.) was 6-5 and Euless Trinity and DeSoto both lost in playoffs to Kyler Murray and his Allen.

Buford was an undefeated state champion ranked #2 in their state. Stephenville lost to Aledo, Guyer, a team named Everman (2x) 56 - 3, and 27 - 24 before Everman lost in their state championship game to Sulphur Springs 47 - 34.

I think you get it:

St Thomas Aquinas was an undefeated state champion and ranked #3 in Florida in 2015. 

Allen lost in their semifinal to Westlake, who lost in the 6A D1 state championship to North Shore.

Booker T Washington was ranked number #2 in Florida and number #15 in the nation. 

Cedar Hill lost to Allen and Katy who won 5A D1 and 5A D2 that year. Katy faced Cedar Hill in their championship.

Miami Central was a 1-loss state champion the year they faced Madison (Tx).  Before Carthage ran the tables and won state while knocking Madison out of the playoffs; they were blown out twice in Texas.

Nacogdoches 41 - Carthage 20

Chapel Hill 46 - Carthage 14

The final three involving number #1 state ranked St. Thomas Aquinas and #2 state ranked Miami Northwestern involve Florida state champions being matched by Texas teams who did not win state.

Southlake Carroll lost in round 3 to Abilene while a 6-5 Rockwall lost in the first round in 2007.

Katy lost during their 5A D2 state championship game to Abilene 28 - 17 in 2009

and Southlake Carroll got revenge on Abilene in 2010 by taking them down in the third round.

I know this is an oh so long post;

but I just believed this was a fun and interesting way to allow you to wonder; does Texas really have anything to prove, to anyone, anywhere?

When it seems our powers; whatever tier they may be in [(1.), (2.), or (3.)] can match or outmatch the untouchable powers of the nation?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

@SeaShells21never too long with HSFB fans :)   Nice work.  Not a quick project.  

This is a quality post.  Statement with backup   That’s what this forum needs more of.  Good HSFB banter.  

TX vs USA results and in-state TX results lends itself to show that there is serious ammo visiting TX and within TX, there’s a powerhouse that can duplicate the OOS effort… 

…but not always I’m guessing and remember it’s a one game OOS per year setup and the rest of the year a TX school may very well match and/or exceed.  It’s also later in the season. but that’s not a mention that I’ll bat for lol.  To me, you schedule it you play it… to win.  Aug or Dec.  You play to win the game.  

Would be interesting to see how the other power states compare with regards to taking a hit in OOS and an in-state impressive W with similar scores.  @Nolebull813and @Columbiafanif Interested can compare FL and so on with others interested to compare perhaps OH and GA.  

Imo, TX and CA are the two top states in terms of upper tier schools in a hypothetical 1 vs 1 thru 20 vs 20 or 25 vs 25,  GA and FL dare I say a tier below imho with OH within striking range, but top 20-25 I think places them 5th.  

OOS games are vital for rankings nationally and for connect the dot algorithms crunching data to try and determine who is the top state and who are the top states in proper power strength order…and provide as best a product to rate teams nationally.  Freeman rates each state.  CA and TX have shared I believe the 1-2 spot for many years.   GA passed FL per Freeman, but this last year seemed like a downer for GA imho.   

Not all schools dig OOS and they don’t have to.  I’m pretty sure a power state, state champ with an in-state schedule only will rank very high nationally.   Norcross 2012 for example.  

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

@SeaShells21never too long with HSFB fans :)   Nice work.  Not a quick project.  

This is a quality post.  Statement with backup   That’s what this forum needs more of.  Good HSFB banter.  

TX vs USA results and in-state TX results lends itself to show that there is serious ammo visiting TX and within TX, there’s a powerhouse that can duplicate the OOS effort… 

…but not always I’m guessing and remember it’s a one game OOS per year setup and the rest of the year a TX school may very well match and/or exceed.  It’s also later in the season. but that’s not a mention that I’ll bat for lol.  To me, you schedule it you play it… to win.  Aug or Dec.  You play to win the game.  

Would be interesting to see how the other power states compare with regards to taking a hit in OOS and an in-state impressive W with similar scores.  @Nolebull813and @Columbiafanif Interested can compare FL and so on with others interested to compare perhaps OH and GA.  

Imo, TX and CA are the two top states in terms of upper tier schools in a hypothetical 1 vs 1 thru 20 vs 20 or 25 vs 25,  GA and FL dare I say a tier below imho with OH within striking range, but top 20-25 I think places them 5th.  

OOS games are vital for rankings nationally and for connect the dot algorithms crunching data to try and determine who is the top state and who are the top states in proper power strength order…and provide as best a product to rate teams nationally.  Freeman rates each state.  CA and TX have shared I believe the 1-2 spot for many years.   GA passed FL per Freeman, but this last year seemed like a downer for GA imho.   

Not all schools dig OOS and they don’t have to.  I’m pretty sure a power state, state champ with an in-state schedule only will rank very high nationally.   Norcross 2012 for example.  

Thank you very much;

I did add multiple examples of the games being played one week apart though 😁 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

Thank you very much;

I did add multiple examples of the games being played one week apart though 😁 

Touché  :)  

I really dug the HC interview yesterday.  He referred to the excitement the kids had/have in traveling OOS and that’s the highlight when they come back to say hi and chat about the glory days with the coach and staff.   I’m sure they bring up key victories in-state with rivals, playoff wins and team/individual accolades as well.

Coach has powers 10 miles away.  If scheduling OOS trips can retain talent and even attract talent, great for him, his team and the fans.   His business plan is quite different than many public schools in GA and TX.  :)    

On 2/26/2022 at 6:39 PM, SeaShells21 said:

@The Colonel @Ararar

Southlake Carroll lost in round 3 to Abilene while a 6-5 Rockwall lost in the first round in 2007.

They also lost their QB up 14-0(2 drives two easy tds) Abilene was on their way to getting blown out and then the Riley injury happened.  Without Riley SLC's offense was mediocre. 

The Rockwall game was a week after SLC lost their first game in 4 years and were physically pummeled by Northwestern

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, steeler01 said:

They also lost their QB up 14-0(2 drives two easy tds) Abilene was on their way to getting blown out and then the Riley injury happened.  Without Riley SLC's offense was mediocre. 

The Rockwall game was a week after SLC lost their first game in 4 years and were physically pummeled by Northwestern

I think that is literally what happened to Westlake when they played Liberty, Nv.

On 2/26/2022 at 11:13 AM, The Colonel said:

Texas teams rarely leave their own county, let alone the state. LOL. But major props to Nolan Catholic who came to CA play the 4th best Trinity League team last year…and got whacked. 

Nolan Catholic could have saved that Airline Fare.  Because 4A Power Argyle next door in Denton County had already whacked them 45 - 29.  Entering the 4th Argyle was leading 45 - 13 and Santa Margarita was up 31 - 0.  Seems like Argyle would have a been a much stiffer option.  The #1 Team in TAPPS beat them 63 - 35 and was leading 49 - 14 entering the 4th.  That TAPPS team lost to the 4ADI runner up Austin LBJ 44 - 42.   4A champ Stephenville beat up LBJ.   All of this to say.  4A Beat the hell out of Nolan Catholic as did top TAPPS Parish Episcopal.  I don't think the 4th place Trinity League team is no better than the Top TAPPs or 4A.  They all beat an avg team that lost 5 games.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Everyone forgets that this game was 21 - 21 at the half and Tre Newton fumbled on the 5 yd line with 12 secs left.  They damn sure were not physically pummeled.  What's funny The Coach at MNW said that was the strongest team they had ever faced.  That game was 21 - 21 late in the 2nd and only one other TD was scored over the next 2 quarters.  If you are pummeled that doesn't happen and for the record.  I was pulling for the Sneaky blondes to lose. 

Here is why I was rooting against them: 

Southlake: Welcome to Perfect City, U.S.A. - D Magazine

SLC had 5 turnovers that is what caused them to lose including 2 picks by Riley who was dealing in the 1st half.

2nd Qtr.  Watch it till the end.   Hardly pummeled they lost because MNW had speed at the WR.  SLC held their own at the LOS in this game.  And was equally as physical

5 mins in the 3rd only TD in the whole 2nd half/ SLC Dominating the early part of the 3rd.  Riley Dodge gets his nose busted while drving around the 8 min Mark.  The backup threw a crucial Pick in the endzone.  Some Pummeling. His injury here has no bearing but against Abilene it was everything.  Incredible.   He was nicked up a few times in this game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

Everyone forgets that this game was 21 - 21 at the half and Tre Newton fumbled on the 5 yd line with 12 secs left.  They damn sure were not physically pummeled.  What's funny The Coach at MNW said that was the strongest team they had ever faced.  That game was 21 - 21 late in the 2nd and only one other TD was scored over the next 2 quarters.  If you are pummeled that doesn't happen and for the record.  I was pulling fo.

SLC also got a call that was considered a catch when the WR was out. Instead of them punting (3rd down play)They  scored their 2nd offensive TD of the game

MNW almost lost in Florida.  They needed a last minute TD against Deerfield Beach a couple of weeks later

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

5 mins in the 3rd only TD in the whole 2nd half/ SLC Dominating the early part of the 3rd.  Riley Dodge gets his nose busted while drving around the 8 min Mark.  The backup threw a crucial Pick in the endzone.  Some Pummeling. His injury here has no bearing but against Abilene it was everything.  Incredible.   He was nicked up a few times in this game. 

SLC Dominating early in the 3rd? They never scored. They had gotten a stop and were in 3rd and 4 after Dodge carried the ball for a 2 yard loss.

Dodge got his nose busted at their own 45. 3rd and 4 Padron comes in and fires a 1st down.  Dodge played the entire game vs MNW and the offense mustered up 2TD drives. He played two possessions against Abilene and the offense put up 2 Tds. Apples to apples huh

2:10 into the video

5 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

SLC also got a call that was considered a catch when the WR was out. Instead of them punting (3rd down play)They  scored their 2nd offensive TD of the game

MNW almost lost in Florida.  They needed a last minute TD against Deerfield Beach a couple of weeks later

Did you have a better view than the ref?

Don't forget didn't Southlake miss a FG too.

The truth is that's the kind of game we live for I think it would turned out better if elder Dodge wasn't absent.

There was no dominance over either those two teams.

A close game like that could've gone either way.

And after whichever one wins thousands of posters attack like it was some kind of blow out.

I think some people were shocked when SLC stuck one right in their ass on a pass down the right side towards the beginning of the of the game.

I think most people realized that these TX publics can play with the best assembled recruited teams.

Don't get me wrong they'll be a lot of haters that never want to believe it🙃

Kinda like some people pretending we got leadership right now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Butterbean said:

Did you have a better view than the ref?

It's on replay

7 minutes ago, Butterbean said:

I think most people realized that these TX publics can play with the best assembled recruited 

Most of your brethren had Carroll winning by 20+ before the game. Including yourself Lamar

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

It's on replay

Most of your brethren had Carroll winning by 20+ before the game. Including yourself Lamar

I don't know I don't think anybody really knew but they were excited to see it.

Somebody with some authority from Florida was saying it wasn't even going to be close remember?

He knew the the talent of what was assembled on that MNW team.

Some of them are probably still playing in the pros.

2 minutes ago, Butterbean said:

I don't know I don't think anybody really knew but they were excited to see it.

Somebody with some authority from Florida was saying it wasn't even going to be close remember?

He knew the the talent of what was assembled on that MNW team.

Some of them are probably still playing in the pros.

No,  nobody from Florida thought it would be a blowout(Other than a MNW fanboy).  It was Tball, and several Texas folk with the exception of Pied predicting a blow out.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 12:45 AM, steeler01 said:

It's on replay

I never thought that I knew Caroll was going up against the one of the best record at teams money can buy.

It still ended up being closed even with all careless mistakes I don't think that would have happened if the big dodge would have been there.

I heard people from Florida saying it what day is going to be close.

And it could have easily went the other way.

just be glad we got to see a good game