Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dntn31

2019 Comp Poll (Updated 10-14-2019)

Recommended Posts

2019 Comp Poll

It's that time of year again. Some familiar faces on top of the preseason comp poll. Anyone know if Jamie is going to release his poll? Sort of hard to call it  a "preseason" poll now that games have already been played.

  • Thanks 5
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

2019 Preseason Comp Poll

It's that time of year again. Some familiar faces on top of the preseason comp poll. Anyone know if Jamie is going to release his poll? Sort of hard to call it  a "preseason" poll now that games have already been played.

I sent Jamie a DM on Twitter two weeks ago and have not got a response back. Also for CP poll your spreadsheet has MC and Longview  wrong. Just need to flip where they are ranked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MC Rockets said:

I sent Jamie a DM on Twitter two weeks ago and have not got a response back. Also for CP poll your spreadsheet has MC and Longview  wrong. Just need to flip where they are ranked. 

Thanks for the QA.

Calpreps is a bit of an outlier because their "preseason" rankings are constantly in flux (especially at the bottom end of the top 25) and it just depends on what date you pull the data from their site. During the season I generally pull the data either Sunday evening or Monday morning after all of the week's games have been played and the algorithm has a chance to settle down.

You can see that the CalPreps ranks that Redzone pulled on 8/9 differ from the CalPreps ranks that are listed on Maxpreps with an "Updated Date" of 8/11

I've double-checked my comp poll and they reflect the ranks listed on Maxpreps with a date of 8/11. Luckily these are preseason ranks so their accuracy isn't all that important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Thanks for the QA.

Calpreps is a bit of an outlier because their "preseason" rankings are constantly in flux (especially at the bottom end of the top 25) and it just depends on what date you pull the data from their site. During the season I generally pull the data either Sunday evening or Monday morning after all of the week's games have been played and the algorithm has a chance to settle down.

You can see that the CalPreps ranks that Redzone pulled on 8/9 differ from the CalPreps ranks that are listed on Maxpreps with an "Updated Date" of 8/11

I've double-checked my comp poll and they reflect the ranks listed on Maxpreps with a date of 8/11. Luckily these are preseason ranks so their accuracy isn't all that important.

You are absolutely correct about CP and their ranking. It's like the damn "stock market" at times. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MaxPreps released their  Preseason "Composite Rankings". Interesting to note that this year they seem to be including SportingNews. This is the first I've heard of these guys putting out a HSFB poll. I'm not sure how to take this poll considered it's currently listed under their "NCAAF" section and says that last year SJB lost to MD in the "Trinity League Championship." 🤦‍♂️

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ECHS05 said:

Narbonne at 10... Are you kidding me...

Oh woops, I had it sorted by CalPreps because I was auditing the data based on the feedback from MC Rockets. It's back to being sorted by Total Points. Narbonne is now at 17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

I'm telling you bro. They are stacked!

They've fooled me before in the Pick 'em with being stacked and all. 

 

Not buying on them yet. Fool me once and all...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:31 PM, dntn31 said:

2019 Preseason Comp Poll

It's that time of year again. Some familiar faces on top of the preseason comp poll. Anyone know if Jamie is going to release his poll? Sort of hard to call it  a "preseason" poll now that games have already been played.

Jamie's poll comes out this Thursday. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 2:24 PM, AztecPadre said:

I'm telling you bro. They are stacked!

They should be really good but who know what’s going to happen with them team after CIF LA is done with them...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

They should be really good but who know what’s going to happen with them team after CIF LA is done with them...

All their transfers have to become eligible as well 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 1:43 PM, dntn31 said:

Thanks for the QA.

Calpreps is a bit of an outlier because their "preseason" rankings are constantly in flux (especially at the bottom end of the top 25) and it just depends on what date you pull the data from their site. During the season I generally pull the data either Sunday evening or Monday morning after all of the week's games have been played and the algorithm has a chance to settle down.

You can see that the CalPreps ranks that Redzone pulled on 8/9 differ from the CalPreps ranks that are listed on Maxpreps with an "Updated Date" of 8/11

I've double-checked my comp poll and they reflect the ranks listed on Maxpreps with a date of 8/11. Luckily these are preseason ranks so their accuracy isn't all that important.

 

On 8/16/2019 at 1:59 PM, MC Rockets said:

You are absolutely correct about CP and their ranking. It's like the damn "stock market" at times. 

 ...also factoring in strength of schedule to pre-drop some teams that will naturally fall in our system over the course of the season given that playing weaker teams drags a team's rating down*

*Please note that teams are now being pre-dropped as explained above

in order to slot them the way we prefer for our official pre-season ratings. 

However, it is important to understand that this "pre-drop" is eliminated once a team's season gets underway.  Once they start playing, their season-to-date SOS is used by our system as opposed to the full-season SOS.  [Note: last season's schedule strength is used as a place-holder to pre-drop teams if we have not yet collected their 2019 schedule.]

 

Looks like a clusterfuck... why not just wait and issue a first ratings look in October along with picks (that they begin in October).

Manipulating an algorithm for preseason ratings... using regular season sos only as a gauge.  I don't even follow Freeman's statement of how playing weak teams drags a rating down (I state this because only the boldfaced games are supposedly the heavy weighting tool for the team's overall rating). 

Did a weak SFA schedule drag their rating down last year?   

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

 

 ...also factoring in strength of schedule to pre-drop some teams that will naturally fall in our system over the course of the season given that playing weaker teams drags a team's rating down*

*Please note that teams are now being pre-dropped as explained above

in order to slot them the way we prefer for our official pre-season ratings. 

However, it is important to understand that this "pre-drop" is eliminated once a team's season gets underway.  Once they start playing, their season-to-date SOS is used by our system as opposed to the full-season SOS.  [Note: last season's schedule strength is used as a place-holder to pre-drop teams if we have not yet collected their 2019 schedule.]

 

Looks like a clusterfuck... why not just wait and issue a first ratings look in October along with picks (that they begin in October).

Manipulating an algorithm for preseason ratings... using regular season sos only as a gauge.  I don't even follow Freeman's statement of how playing weak teams drags a rating down (I state this because only the boldfaced games are supposedly the heavy weighting tool for the team's overall rating). 

Did a weak SFA schedule drag their rating down last year?   

 

 

 

I like the "we prefer" statement. 

 

It ends the way "we prefer" too. They're only admitting to screwing with it now, but, they'll do it whenever they like as "they prefer"

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I like the "we prefer" statement. 

 

It ends the way "we prefer" too. They're only admitting to screwing with it now, but, they'll do it whenever they like as "they prefer"

 

Congrats Hawg!   LMFAO... you gotta love CalPreps.    

image.thumb.png.ea05313eea0caff5952d65218cf98306.png

image.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn... Georgia went from 60 something top 1000 teams to just 26.

And from 11 top 100 teams to 2.

All because of that Colquitt scrimmage? Or what?

Florida has over 100 top 1000 teams now... Lol. The algorithm is a bit screwy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Damn... Georgia went from 60 something top 1000 teams to just 26.

And from 11 top 100 teams to 2.

All because of that Colquitt scrimmage? Or what?

Florida has over 100 top 1000 teams now... Lol. The algorithm is a bit screwy.

It's what they prefer!

 

Read 'em and weep. 

Hahaha.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Damn... Georgia went from 60 something top 1000 teams to just 26.

And from 11 top 100 teams to 2.

All because of that Colquitt scrimmage? Or what?

Florida has over 100 top 1000 teams now... Lol. The algorithm is a bit screwy.

St. Louis beat a team rated over 1000 and dropped from 86.1 to 85.2  (their rating would have dropped a bit more had the mercy rule number been set at 28 vs. 27, because they earned 44.3 points only for the win).   

Colquitty County started at 60.5 and rated #34... Columbia started at 53.1 and rated #74. 

Colquitt takes this non counting and soon to be erased game and earns 67.1 points for the win and moves down from 60.5 to 53.1 

image.jpeg.fdc102b1a07e8b790c7ab2cd6714c5e6.jpeg

Columbia earns 38.1 points in the loss and moves down from 53.1 to 52.1

Looks like Freeman pre-dropped the entire state of GA and didn't update the starting team ratings.  

Animated GIF

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

St. Louis beat a team rated over 1000 and dropped from 86.1 to 85.2  (they're rating would have dropped a bit more had the mercy rule number been set at 28 vs. 27, because they earned 44.3 points only for the win).   

Colquitty County started at 60.5 and rated #34... Columbia started at 53.1 and rated #74. 

Colquitt takes this non counting and soon to be erased game and earns 67.1 points for the win and moves down from 60.5 to 53.1 

image.jpeg.fdc102b1a07e8b790c7ab2cd6714c5e6.jpeg

Columbia earns 38.1 points in the loss and moves down from 53.1 to 52.1

Looks like Freeman pre-dropped the entire state of GA and didn't update the starting team ratings.  

Animated GIF

 

That is utterly nuts , im going to have to look at this closer when I get off.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

St. Louis beat a team rated over 1000 and dropped from 86.1 to 85.2  (their rating would have dropped a bit more had the mercy rule number been set at 28 vs. 27, because they earned 44.3 points only for the win).   

Colquitty County started at 60.5 and rated #34... Columbia started at 53.1 and rated #74. 

Colquitt takes this non counting and soon to be erased game and earns 67.1 points for the win and moves down from 60.5 to 53.1 

image.jpeg.fdc102b1a07e8b790c7ab2cd6714c5e6.jpeg

Columbia earns 38.1 points in the loss and moves down from 53.1 to 52.1

Looks like Freeman pre-dropped the entire state of GA and didn't update the starting team ratings.  

Animated GIF

 

 

46 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

That is utterly nuts , im going to have to look at this closer when I get off.

Colquitt started at 34. 

Not sure of Columbia's starting rating, knew it was top 100. 

Saturday morning when doing my armchair coach's review of the game, Colquitt was #50 and Columbia #56. 

 

giphy.gif.a581b51b531d6811b36167c8b47ce675.gif

 

Today, both back to the 70s as CalPeps prefers.

Yes, intentionally left the R out. Not a typo.

Looks like it's that 70s show for Colquitt and Columbia. xD

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanna know who keeps saying Columbia’s a top 50 school 

 

theres 15 teams in Texas better than them 15 from Cali 1 from NV 9 From FL 2 Canada 10 From DMV 4 From Pennsylvania 8 From Jersey 8 From Geaorgia 2 From Hawaii 1 from Illinois 1 from Indiana 5 from Ohio 3 from Missouri 1 from NYC, 2 From Michigan 2 from Louisiana 2 from Alabama 2 from Colorado 1 from Arizona 1 from Washington 4 from the Carolinas 2 from Tennessee 3 Oklahoma 2 Kansas Utah 2 Arkansas 2 Iowa 2

We’re at like 121-131 right now

im not even halfway thru my list to get to where Columbia falls ... I still gotta list all the public schools now 😜

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

 

 ...also factoring in strength of schedule to pre-drop some teams that will naturally fall in our system over the course of the season given that playing weaker teams drags a team's rating down*

*Please note that teams are now being pre-dropped as explained above

in order to slot them the way we prefer for our official pre-season ratings. 

However, it is important to understand that this "pre-drop" is eliminated once a team's season gets underway.  Once they start playing, their season-to-date SOS is used by our system as opposed to the full-season SOS.  [Note: last season's schedule strength is used as a place-holder to pre-drop teams if we have not yet collected their 2019 schedule.]

 

Looks like a clusterfuck... why not just wait and issue a first ratings look in October along with picks (that they begin in October).

Manipulating an algorithm for preseason ratings... using regular season sos only as a gauge.  I don't even follow Freeman's statement of how playing weak teams drags a rating down (I state this because only the boldfaced games are supposedly the heavy weighting tool for the team's overall rating). 

Did a weak SFA schedule drag their rating down last year?   

 

 

 

In the case of HSFBA rankings last year, I'm sure SFA's weak schedule played a part in them being ranked #52 in their final algorithm poll. I just think computer polls are dumb! Punch in a couple of numbers and let the computer do the work as if the computer watched the game, saw if the key man got hurt which could have changed the tone of the game, etc. Just lazy, but this is the world we live in now.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MC Rockets said:

In the case of HSFBA rankings last year, I'm sure SFA's weak schedule played a part in them being ranked #52 in their final algorithm poll. I just think computer polls are dumb! Punch in a couple of numbers and let the computer do the work as if the computer watched the game, saw if the key man got hurt which could have changed the tone of the game, etc. Just lazy, but this is the world we live in now.  

The craziest thing about the computer polls is, at this point in hsfb history, it appears that the human polls allow the computers to take the lead as they use them for reference instead of applying a human sourced power rating to a state and then doing a good deal of their own homework. 

The only outlier in that is USAT as they appear to always have some oddballs in theirs. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...