United

rockinl

I think this is an unfortunate situation that's embarrassed United, although apparently doesn't concern their investors as their stock is up since incident

That said, the airlines were perfectly within their rights and this guy's lack of understanding of those rights created the youtube event

I would have been pissed, but wouldn't have screamed and made them subdue me and drag me down the aisle -- this guy definitely in the wrong, although in our society, will surely sue United and receive a windfall in settlement

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pops said:

I think this is an unfortunate situation that's embarrassed United, although apparently doesn't concern their investors as their stock is up since incident

That said, the airlines were perfectly within their rights and this guy's lack of understanding of those rights created the youtube event

I would have been pissed, but wouldn't have screamed and made them subdue me and drag me down the aisle -- this guy definitely in the wrong, although in our society, will surely sue United and receive a windfall in settlement

I just read where their companies value is down by a half billion dollars.

must be some fake news!

anyways they should have offered a few more dollars and someone else would have volunteered 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

I just read where their companies value is down by a half billion dollars.

must be some fake news!

anyways they should have offered a few more dollars and someone else would have volunteered 

BTW, I agree that they should have offered more money, but they were clearly within their rights to do what they did and passengers on an airplane can not be allowed to throw a tantrum like that guy did

Also, UAL was up yesterday (the first day of this news); yes, they are down today, although about half what you said, and they're still up for the week and up about $6 billion in market cap from 3 months earlier.

Satisfied?

29 minutes ago, Pops said:

BTW, I agree that they should have offered more money, but they were clearly within their rights to do what they did and passengers on an airplane can not be allowed to throw a tantrum like that guy did

Also, UAL was up yesterday (the first day of this news); yes, they are down today, although about half what you said, and they're still up for the week and up about $6 billion in market cap from 3 months earlier.

Satisfied?

Read post 7

yeah satisfied!

Just now, hardhit1 said:

Read post 7

yeah satisfied!

Already replied in post #9

-- stock was up first day on news 

-- stock is down 1% today

-- stock is 40% higher stsrt of year

this doesn't begin to approach the threshold of a sell off and is very disimgenuous to position otherwise 

1 minute ago, Pops said:

Already replied in post #9

-- stock was up first day on news 

-- stock is down 1% today

-- stock is 40% higher stsrt of year

this doesn't begin to approach the threshold of a sell off and is very disimgenuous to position otherwise 

I posted when you replied

and I agree there will be no sell off so don't worry?

As soon as the guy started making a fuss and being disruptive, he was in violation of at least two sections of the CoC, and they were at that point perfectly within their rights to drag his ass off the plane. While it's certianly debateable from a "right thing to do" and PR standpoint, they're legally in the clear.

If Dr. Feelgood's lawer is worth a shit, he'll advise his client to accept what I'm sure will be a more than generous offer from UA, and quietly ride off into the sunset.

Handled shitty by airport security (it was not a actual UA employee who drug him down the aisle). Within the rights of the airline to bump him, but made for a bad visual.

This dude does have somewhat of a creepy past. Figure UA settles somewhere out of court with him. They want it to go away and I doubt Dr. Strangelove (or his family) wants his repeated history of dirty laundry put out there on the front page.

3 hours ago, Bormio said:

It was crappy business to the max and they will pay a severe price in the eyes of the flying public.  The guy's reaction was not unreasonable.  Being asked to leave so they could ferry employees was severely stupid.

Why was that stupid?

if the employees don't get where they're supposed to be, then there's 200 people not getting to where they wanted to go

whats really surprising is that an $800 travel voucher didn't work on a Chicago-Louisville flight.  I did that drive the Saturday in May in 1989 and paid for the trip with some smooth prognasticating on Winning Colors -- would have been fairly easy to make a profit on that offer (although I never consider those buyouts)

7 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Ok, let's see some predictions for his settlement amount...What say the board?

Prediction is that we'll never know

UAL won't settle unless confidential because they believe, and are correct, that they didn't do anything wrong (even if you believe the rules don't justify the physical action, that action is by the cops, not united, and the cops aren't going to settle)

if I was this guy's lawyer, I'd contact united in confidence and try to get something done -- if he goes on a talk show, he's screwing his client by making this public

UAL knows they'd win, or at least have a firm legal position to justify a vigorous defense, but they'd probably write the guy a $1 million check tomorrow to shut up and go away