United

rockinl

7 minutes ago, Pops said:

Prediction is that we'll never know

UAL won't settle unless confidential because they believe, and are correct, that they didn't do anything wrong (even if you believe the rules don't justify the physical action, that action is by the cops, not united, and the cops aren't going to settle)

if I was this guy's lawyer, I'd contact united in confidence and try to get something done -- if he goes on a talk show, he's screwing his client by making this public

UAL knows they'd win, or at least have a firm legal position to justify a vigorous defense, but they'd probably write the guy a $1 million check tomorrow to shut up and go away

I was gonna say a quick 1-2 million as well.   I'm pretty sure the amount will come out.  Media doesn't let this stuff slip outta their fingers.   The only event I can think of where something didn't become public that normally would have been was the vid of the Orca going ham on that trainer.  (to be honest I'm very surprised it never did)  Shit always comes out nowadays.  

6 minutes ago, 954gator said:

On second thought I'd push for more,  the media already pulled up all this guys past felony history and put it all out there.   Shit I'd want 15 million.  Airlines in the US provide some of the worst service I've seen in all of my traveling.   Fuk em.   

United could lose more than 1 billion in market share and pay the passenger (s) on that plane 25 million and it still wouldn't be enough. 

They should be required to always keep a few seats open for over booking and ferrying employees as well. Idc what the back of the ticket says... if you sell the seat for that flight, it should belong to the purchaser. Period. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pops said:

Why was that stupid?

if the employees don't get where they're supposed to be, then there's 200 people not getting to where they wanted to go

whats really surprising is that an $800 travel voucher didn't work on a Chicago-Louisville flight.  

To your point of United being in the right in this situation.

They can offer a voucher, but are required to give you cash if you get an involuntary bump.  Believe the amounts are 650 for a 1-2 hour delay and 1300 for anything over.

When I was younger and broker I used to book my Xmas travel to see my folks a day early.   Go to the airport, wait for the inevitable "we're overbooked announcement" and get to work.  

Best I ever made out was 1st class from SFO to Chicago with an 8 hour layover in Vegas.  Plus an $800 voucher.

Not bad for a broke college kid.

xD

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pops said:

I think this is an unfortunate situation that's embarrassed United, although apparently doesn't concern their investors as their stock is up since incident

That said, the airlines were perfectly within their rights and this guy's lack of understanding of those rights created the youtube event

I would have been pissed, but wouldn't have screamed and made them subdue me and drag me down the aisle -- this guy definitely in the wrong, although in our society, will surely sue United and receive a windfall in settlement

however if he wins the suit will he have been in the wrong? 

21 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

It won't get anywhere near a courtroom. UA will offer him a mid 6-figure settlement, and if his lawyer is any good, he'll advise his client to take it and fade away.

I was thinking that at first, but nah he's gotta strive for more.   The whole world knows about his sketchy past and that is something that can significantly affect his professional career.   I mean.....

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-flight-convicted-of-trading-drugs-for-sex/amp/

6 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I was thinking that at first, but nah he's gotta strive for more.   The whole world knows about his sketchy past and that is something that can significantly affect his professional career.   I mean.....

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-flight-convicted-of-trading-drugs-for-sex/amp/

" a history of angry outbursts — and a conviction for trading narcotics prescriptions and cash for gay sex in motels."

just a regular guy, lol

none the less, none of this is relevant 

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

" a history of angry outbursts — and a conviction for trading narcotics prescriptions and cash for gay sex in motels."

just a regular guy, lol

none the less, none of this is relevant 

http://nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-flight-convicted-of-trading-drugs-for-sex/

Minus the humongous fact it is shows a part of his character that doesn't look real good to a jury whatsoever in any court in America. 

"The licensing records also reveal how Dao was “the subject of many complaints” while working at Hardin Memorial Hospital.

The Medical Executive Committee there “took a strong stance in 2002, and put [Dao] on a corrective action plan due to his disruptive behavior” and referred him “for evaluation and anger management,” the papers say.

Worth a read. https://thepilotwifelife.wordpress.com/2017/04/11/i-know-youre-mad-at-united-but-thoughts-from-a-pilot-wife-about-flight-3411/

Pretty much dovetails with what I said earlier. This isn't an uncommon occurrence...the only difference here is that the Crazy Closeted Chinaman elected to melt down and be belligerent about it. He essentially was at fault, and why if he's dumb enough to actually go to court with this, he'll receive a 2nd asskicking.

Yea they are starting to drop a lot of dirt on this guy. I think both parties will want this to end very soon. I don't see it going anywhere near a court room. I know that if Im in this guy's family I am already pissed that the dirt is out.

United screwed up for sure, but this ass clown took it to another level for sure. I have family that works for the airlines and say unfortunately this is a very common occurrence. Most of the time they will just hook up the passenger with a few vouchers and get them on  the next soonest flight available. Even if it is with a different airline.

Bottom line is the airlines has to make sure each service area is fully staffed or thousands of travelers can be inconvenienced not just one.

5 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Funny man, I just watched this over the weekend brought back many high school memories

I just watched it 2 weeks ago with my younger daughter who loves all the 80s classic I love (Fast Times, Ferris Buller, Trading Places, Breakfast Club, Can't Buy Me Love, Say Anything, Stripes etc.Yeah right in my high school years wheelhouse.

• Like 1

Just now, Cossacks said:

I just watched it 2 weeks ago with my younger daughter who loves all the 80s classic I love (Fast Times, Ferris Buller, Trading Places, Breakfast Club, Can't Buy Me Love, Say Anything, Stripes etc.Yeah right in my high school years wheelhouse.

Yep add in Wildcats, Ghost Busters, and Stand By Me. Love them all. Dang Purple Rain as well.

3 hours ago, noonereal said:

however if he wins the suit will he have been in the wrong? 

He won't win a lawsuit

he might shake the company down for some money but he has no case -- especially against United.  He might have an excessive force claim against the cops but that would just be confirmation that our society has turned into one big vagina

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cossacks said:

http://nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-flight-convicted-of-trading-drugs-for-sex/

Minus the humongous fact it is shows a part of his character that doesn't look real good to a jury whatsoever in any court in America. 

"The licensing records also reveal how Dao was “the subject of many complaints” while working at Hardin Memorial Hospital.

The Medical Executive Committee there “took a strong stance in 2002, and put [Dao] on a corrective action plan due to his disruptive behavior” and referred him “for evaluation and anger management,” the papers say.

The more I think about it and especially hear about this guy, I think if I was united, I might take a stand here and not offer one dime in settlement

the guy was absolutely in the wrong per letter of law, and can easily be shown to be cray-cray to jury

a solid "no" from a jury will empower the existing process while a settlement or even whiff of a settlement is only going to encourage every jackwad to do this 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cossacks said:

again, how does any of this make him responsible for the actions of the airline? 

That is what the suit would be about. The action of the airline. It is of no relevance what is in his past only what happened that day.