Our Commander in Chief just said the US dollar was getting 'too strong'

7 minutes ago, Pops said:

You are being crushed

its apparent that you are oblivious at every level

what trump said is actually helpful and you are presenting it as the daily outrage because you don't understand 

Nailed it

You're not outraged because you haven't been given the cue from the right people and like everything else, you don't even understand what's going on

if Obama made this same statement you'd be all over the place because Fox would tell you to

This isn't from MSNBC...or CNN ... this is from me, I think for myself

but since you're so knowledgeable please enlighten me on exactly what I'm being crushed on... like most Trumptards, your reading comprehension is lacking

7 minutes ago, concha said:

Irony defined.

Yeah, I guess.

By David Lawder | WASHINGTON

President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that his administration will not label China a currency manipulator, backing away from a campaign promise, even as he said the U.S. dollar was "getting too strong" and would eventually hurt the economy.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Trump also said he would like to see U.S. interest rates stay low, another comment at odds with what he had often said during the election campaign.

A U.S. Treasury spokesman confirmed that the Treasury Department's semi-annual report on currency practices of major trading partners, due out later this week, will not name China a currency manipulator.

2 minutes ago, TheRealCAJ said:

Yeah, I guess.

By David Lawder | WASHINGTON

President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that his administration will not label China a currency manipulator, backing away from a campaign promise, even as he said the U.S. dollar was "getting too strong" and would eventually hurt the economy.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Trump also said he would like to see U.S. interest rates stay low, another comment at odds with what he had often said during the election campaign.

A U.S. Treasury spokesman confirmed that the Treasury Department's semi-annual report on currency practices of major trading partners, due out later this week, will not name China a currency manipulator.

The dollar just suffered a sharp drop after Trump's statement.... 

lets pray thats the end of that 'helpfulness' Pops spoke of...smh

I am old.  In 1985 the Swiss Franc was 2.83 to the US dollar.  Today it is on par.  The French franc was 13 to 1.  Deutschmark was 3.55, Italian lira was 2300.  The strongest the dollar has been since the Euro was introduced (@ 1.16) was about .86.  The weakest was about 1.60.  These are huge differences.  A number of European manufacturers in my industry (amusement) virtually lost the North American market because equipment became so expensive.  I sold a ride called the Looping Starship for $450,000 in '84 that was $850,000 several years later.  

Having said this I left the Swiss company in '86 and went to work for a company in Wichita which sold almost exclusively in North America.  The Wichita company did about $4 million in business in '86 (prior to this taking a huge hit from European manufacturers) and by '89 I had sold over $4 million personally to about one fourth of their market.  One hundred employees approached three hundred.  About this time the Swiss company which had shrunk in size because of the  difficulty of American sales after '86 went through a reorginization.  

Over time much of the currency fluctuations were offset by manufacturing offshore, also importing materials from other countries which might have cost a fraction of what they would in one's home country.  

Trump's comment is interesting:  American manufacturers can remain competitive offfshore if they are able to outsource materials and operate factories offshore.  These help compensate for the strong dollar.  

But if the American manufacturer uses American materials and builds or assembles in the U. S. the strong dollar will virtually kill sales outside of the U. S.

Trump knows this.

But not many Americans know exactly how the dollar can effect us, especially if materials and labor are almost exclusively American.

The reverse of this is what Wal Mart and Costco and almost everyone else will have to charge for the American supplied and built product.  Several months ago a study noted that the $800 iPhone manufactured in China would cost more than $1,300 if made in the U. S.  Years ago I bought shirts AT the Hathaway factory in Waterville, Maine, at Troy Guild in Glens Falls, NY, suits at Hickey Freeman in Rochester and luggage at Hartman in Lebanon, TN.  The first two have closed and, retired, I can't imagine buying a Hickey suit today-nor can I imagine what it must cost.  Hartman's luggage has lasted me for more than 30 years it was made so well.  We bought our furntiure at Henredon in Morganton and Spruce Pines, NC.  I believe today that much of it is manufactured in the Phillippines and China.  Orvis-which I wear a lot of in retirement-is primarily manufactured offshore.  I believe LL Bean, too.  But they have their Vermont and Maine images which help support them.  Should I mention the number of furniture factories in High Point and Hickory, NC that have closed or are operating at a fraction of their size?  

A lot of verbiage but it all means that it's not just bringing jobs back to the U. S.  What we build here must be affordable.  Trump really hasn't started talking about that...yet.  And, then, there is what he has in mind for the U. S. factory to pay in labor and what many who voted for him believe they should expect.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

The dollar just suffered a sharp drop after Trump's statement.... 

lets pray thats the end of that 'helpfulness' Pops spoke of...smh

What sharp drop? You mean the 0.7% movement? Which put the dollar right back where it was a little over a week ago and still well higher than two weeks ago?

Snowflake?

10 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

When the $ is too strong, our manufacturing companies struggle to sell products over seas, and tourism to USA declines also keeping $$ out of US companies.  

as we all know

and certainly balance is best in all of life, in every way

economics too

that said, it's a good problem to have as were low oil prices

In other news China abstains from the UN vote on Syria. Hmmm wonder why? Maybe just maybe President Trump made a deal. Ill say this you do this type of thing. You know grown up shit.

Oh China also sent back coal ships to NK Just more grown up shit.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjd9r7AyKHTAhVC-mMKHaf2ADAQqOcBCCUwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reuters.com%2Farticle%2Fus-china-northkorea-coal-exclusive-idUSKBN17D0D8&usg=AFQjCNHrf8GsN2cSyIvTZb22CnH2gS-JHw

• Like 1

5 hours ago, concha said:

What sharp drop? You mean the 0.7% movement? Which put the dollar right back where it was a little over a week ago and still well higher than two weeks ago?

Snowflake?

within a matter of a few hours, that's considered a very sharp drop ....

google could be your friend , snowflake

29 minutes ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

within a matter of a few hours, that's considered a very sharp drop ....

google could be your friend , snowflake

Look at the euro to USD exchange rate over the last year or two or 5 or 10.  "Sharp" yet still at a historically high level.

It would be nice if you had some knowledge and perspective to counteract your butthurt, Frosty.

42 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Lets hope you are all right so you will all feel much better. Here is hoping he fails and to the end of the world. Then just maybe you friggin Libs will be happy

no one wants him to fail

I'm not really that excited by his comment... the emoticons i placed below the link indicate confusion... i dont do fake outrage

I do find the comment peculiar coming from the President...this is not the same as thing as Kudlow saying it on an open panel...you see that in the sharp drop within hours after his comment

this signals to me that Trump may not yet understand the brevity of his position

I was hoping to have a discussion on that, before the Trumptards swarmed in to defend what they though was an attack on their saviour... knowing damn well they'd throw a fit if Obama made the same comment

44 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!  The comments on any fox story is pure comedic entertainment. LOL.  99% of the posters could not have possibly gone any further than middle school.  BTW, what was the story behind Chik fil a and some racism that went on?  I missed when it first came out and never got the details behind it. 

1 minute ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

no one wants him to fail

I'm not really that excited by his comment... the emoticons i placed below the link indicate confusion... i dont do fake outrage

I do find the comment peculiar coming from the President...this is not the same as thing as Kudlow saying it on an open panel...you see that in the sharp drop within hours after his comment

this signals to me that Trump may not yet understand the brevity of his position

I was hoping to have a discussion on that, before the Trumptards swarmed in to defend what they though was an attack on their saviour... knowing damn well they'd throw a fit if Obama made the same comment

Understood. I just think as I stated it was a deal he made with China. Ill say this you do this. To me it was a good deal. The dollar will be fine. China didn't vote on Syria and sent the Coal ships back to NK. Win/Win. I could be wrong, just my take. I also think President Trump is taking back the referee job of the world. He is serving notice we are no longer going to be a passive country. I do not believe we are any where close to the brink of world war as others have stated.   

Just now, AztecPadre said:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!  The comments on any fox story is pure comedic entertainment. LOL.  99% of the posters could not have possibly gone any further than middle school.  BTW, what was the story behind Chik fil a and some racism that went on?  I missed when it first came out and never got the details behind it. 

Dude they are a Mormon owned business take it from there.