Bishop Sycamore=Sketchy? They and Dorian Cause Freedom Bowl Cancellations

HawgGoneIt

Freedom Bowl begins;
two games canceled
Milton defeated Alpharetta 45-0 on Thursday night behind a 201-yard rushing effort from Ahmad Junearick to kick off the second Freedom Bowl, which has six out-of-state teams meeting today and Saturday at Milton. Teams include Brentwood Academy, the Tennessee DII-AAA champion, and Hoover, the No. 1-ranked team in Alabama's Class 7A. Two games had to be canceled. Bishop Sycamore of Columbus, Ohio, was thrown out this week for breach of contract. According to the Daytona Beach News-Journal, the first-year varsity program failed to book accommodations by a deadline and was found to be sketchy. So Mainland High of Daytona, Fla., is out of a game. Mainland coach Scott Wilson, whose team was part of the event last year, was said to be furious but didn't blame the organizers. "In 18 years of coaching, it was one of the most well-run venues I've ever been a part of," Wilson told the News-Journal. "Those guys that run [the event] are great guys." Then on Wednesday, Western High of Miami canceled because of Hurricane Dorian. That left UMS-Wright of Alabama without a game. "Their school system wouldn't let them travel, and I don't blame them," UMS-Wright coach Terry Curtis told AL.com.
Revised schedule:
Today
5 p.m. - Pickerington Central (Ohio) vs. Winter Park (Fla.)
8:30 p.m. - Cocoa (Fla.) vs. Hoover (Ala.)
Saturday
1 p.m. - Clearwater Central Catholic (Fla.) vs. Brentwood Academy

No what happened was Mainland cried to the Freedom Bowl because they didn’t know what type of team they were. They thought they were going to kill some first year private school. Once they realized they were playing an independent team with studs from around the Midwest they complained. That’s when it became an issue. When they seen the roster. 

Other teams are canceling on them because they are not apart of the OHSAA, and their states won’t allow them to play teams not sanctioned. States like New York, New Jersey And Michigan have had these rules before this team existed. 

They are basically a IMG-wannabe for the Midwest and on a much smaller scale. 

Milton begged Alpharetta to not make them play each other and ruin the event. This was supposed to be top 5 Georgia vs top 5 Ohio in a glamorous matchup. 

Milton vs Pick Central. 

Milton even told Alpharetta they could pick their own opponent and time slot. They refused. 

So now you have two cancellations and 4 games that suck ass. 

Pick Central is top 5 in Ohio playing Winter Park who ain’t even top 5 in the Orlando area. 

Hoover has over double the roster than Cocoa. This won’t be a game after halftime 

And Clearwater Central Catholic appears to have a their worst team in at least a decade playing the consensus number 1 team from TN and nationally ranked Brentwood Academy. Waste 

If this event doesn’t make a huge overhaul in how they select teams and matchups, then it will be a laughing stock that needs to go away. 

It needs to be 5-6 powers from GA playing 5-6 powers from the Southeast and maybe a wildcard team from out of the area like a SJR or Pick Cent 

43 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

No what happened was Mainland cried to the Freedom Bowl because they didn’t know what type of team they were. They thought they were going to kill some first year private school. Once they realized they were playing an independent team with studs from around the Midwest they complained. That’s when it became an issue. When they seen the roster. 

Other teams are canceling on them because they are not apart of the OHSAA, and their states won’t allow them to play teams not sanctioned. States like New York, New Jersey And Michigan have had these rules before this team existed. 

BS winning its first game 66-6 started this domino effect imo. 

All I know, is the story says they didn't book their accomodations in time so the organizers thought they were sketchy and may back out leaving one team already booked with a bill and no opponent. Appatently the Mainland coach was upset as he is a game down now. 

That makes sense. 

Idk about this other malarkey. 

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Just had a conf call w them. Going forward I recommended that they move the event to the DMV region, which has better, more relevant teams and because of the proximity of military personnel since its associated w the Wounded Warrior Foundation. 

Agree. But aren’t they committed to have it at Milton High from 2 more years? Or can they break free from that and move on?

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

All I know, is the story says they didn't book their accomodations in time so the organizers thought they were sketchy and may back out leaving one team already booked with a bill and no opponent. Appatently the Mainland coach was upset as he is a game down now. 

That makes sense. 

Idk about this other malarkey. 

How could Mainland cancel the game a week before it’s supposed to played and get a full refund on their hotels they supposedly booked months ago? 

If there was a so called 30 day window to book hotels then why wasn’t this game cancelled then? On the 31st day 

Just now, Nolebull813 said:

How could Mainland cancel the game a week before it’s supposed to played and get a full refund on their hotels they supposedly booked months ago? 

If there was a so called 30 day window to book hotels then why wasn’t this game cancelled then? On the 31st day 

Dude. I read the story. Did you read the story? 

I guess the entire story is a lie. 

Maybe the writer is "selling the sizzle"? 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I can't say why BS was dropped. Apparently they seemed sketchy is what I read. I don't like fucking with sketchy folks either as you all well know.

Mainland didn't cancel. They're pissed about the cancellation is how I take it. 

Just because it’s in a newspaper article doesn’t make it true. 

Mainland is mad because they thought they were playing the 12,000th ranked team. Not IMG-Lite. 

4 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Just don't mention any names of all those stud players.  And don't put out a roster or put them on Hudl or Maxpreps either.  That air of mystery will make college coaches want them even more.  It's not because there's anything sketchy.

Actually, I heard there was a scheduling conflict because too many Bishop Sycamore players were having their high school reunions this weekend.

• Haha 2

Just because there seems to be some "not so" hidden agendas at play in this thread... Here is the linked story that my original quote from the GHSF Daily newsletter worked from.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/20190827/mainlands-trip-to-georgias-freedom-bowl-canceled-after-opponent-drops-ball

Freedom Bowl officials informed Mainland that its game will not be played due to a “breach of contract” by the Bishop Sycamore of Columbus, Ohio.

• Like 2

According to that report from the Freedom Bowl organizers... BS was BSn. They said that BS kept messing around. (Apparently giving them the run around) 

They also said the only reason they tried to let BS into the games was because the "BS Attorney" acted like a salesman and got them in. I think he was selling the sizzle. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Also, has anyone scoured the Vatican archives to determine who the F the illustrious but apparently mysterious member of the esteemed religious, Bishop Sycamore, even was?

Pretty sure these clowns just invented some dude named “Bishop Sycamore” to slap as a name on their “school”.

Something fishy about this school/team. The Freedom Bowl folks figured it out and cut ties. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

Just read that also! Can’t believe GHSF Daily called them sketchy 🤣🤣🤣🤣 

Whoever has them on their schedule, better start trying to find last minute games.  I noticed they have Ensworth, Warren Central and Bishop Sullivan on their schedule and are all OOS games.   

They are an alternative school for at risk kids in the Midwest. They are trying to help kids that were gonna fail at their former high school try and graduate. They offer different trades and are accredited with the Ohio Department of Education. 

So why the hate? They missed the deadline to apply for membership with the OHSAA for athletics so they were forced to be independent. 

Being independent and trying to start football from scratch they got a late jump on everything. They have a complete roster, and already played a game with more to come. 

The shit with the Freedom Bowl is a lie. The 30 day window for hotels was an excuse to get Mainland out of the game. They will be fine.