"Hyper Team" Missmatches... Are They Worth It?

Gospeeder

Last year I did a post after attending the MD  IMG game of which made a great case for changing my mind about the value of super recruited teams.  Last night I attended the MD  Villa Park game which gives pause to rethink that position. It was the first time in decades of watching HS football that I found the experience truly repugnant.

I usually attend most MD home games that I feel may be relevant such as the season opener with CC. This game I thought could be interesting as VP has been steadily improving their efforts each season. While I did not expect them to be within 4td's of MD, I had hoped they would show a few spurts that would justify my thoughts about their progress. I could not have been more wrong.

The evening started out well enough. The weather could not have been better and the stands on both sides, while not anywhere near full... had enough spectators to make one feel it was well attended.

VP started OK and after the MD turnover it looked like this could be more interesting as VP was not far from the end zone. It soon became clear this was men against boys.

Obviously the score is a sign ( MD had three before anyone had time to blow their nose ) but the real indicator of how bad a mismatch will be is when the fans of the team on the short end intensely react and applaud... even jumping out of their seats, as the VP fans did every time they had an offensive play that netted even one yard. This game quickly regressed to being that bad. As I talked with some of the parents sitting around me, the discussion turned to the fact that CC was blown out and that was a barometer to rate their team. I explained to them that CC's QB issue was its problem but stopped short of letting them know that CC, unlike VP, actually belonged on the field and could compete.

When watching a game, I usually like to assess the sets and strategies that could be utilized by each team. This was the first game where that was not possible. The differences in talent and mismatches were that bad. VP has a few big kids but they literally looked like the JV against MD.

VP had one highlight ( and it should go down as one of the most impressive in all of HS football this year ) where one of their ball carriers hurdled a defender and gained positive yardage. It was like he was launched out of a cannon and his vertical lift as he sailed over the defender, brought gasps throughout the stadium. It was so spectacular that it drew a penalty ( I guess it's not legal in the CIF ). It was the only thing that made me glad I did not leave midway through the 2nd quarter, which if the weather had not been so good and the VP fans so enjoyable to be around, I would have. Hopefully there will be a video.

VP will go on to have another nice season against opponents they should be playing. The same can be said about Simeon... but... the imprint left with them about each of these games will... imo... for the most part, not be positive.

I cannot think of one reason this game should have been played...or any others like it... even as a filler game. Beating Servite and playing MV strong as VP did last year is one thing. Playing one of these "hyper teams" is quite another.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

Last year I did a post after attending the MD  IMG game of which made a great case for changing my mind about the value of super recruited teams.  Last night I attended the MD  Villa Park game which gives pause to rethink that position. It was the first time in decades of watching HS football that I found the experience truly repugnant.

I usually attend most MD home games that I feel may be relevant such as the season opener with CC. This game I thought could be interesting as VP has been steadily improving their efforts each season. While I did not expect them to be within 4td's of MD, I had hoped they would show a few spurts that would justify my thoughts about their progress. I could not have been more wrong.

The evening started out well enough. The weather could not have been better and the stands on both sides, while not anywhere near full... had enough spectators to make one feel it was well attended.

VP started OK and after the MD turnover it looked like this could be more interesting as VP was not far from the end zone. It soon became clear this was men against boys.

Obviously the score is a sign ( MD had three before anyone had time to blow their nose ) but the real indicator of how bad a mismatch will be is when the fans of the team on the short end intensely react and applaud... even jumping out of their seats, as the VP fans did every time they had an offensive play that netted even one yard. This game quickly regressed to being that bad. As I talked with some of the parents sitting around me, the discussion turned to the fact that CC was blown out and that was a barometer to rate their team. I explained to them that CC's QB issue was its problem but stopped short of letting them know that CC, unlike VP, actually belonged on the field and could compete.

When watching a game, I usually like to assess the sets and strategies that could be utilized by each team. This was the first game where that was not possible. The differences in talent and mismatches were that bad. VP has a few big kids but they literally looked like the JV against MD.

VP had one highlight ( and it should go down as one of the most impressive in all of HS football this year ) where one of their ball carriers hurdled a defender and gained positive yardage. It was like he was launched out of a cannon and his vertical lift as he sailed over the defender, brought gasps throughout the stadium. It was so spectacular that it drew a penalty ( I guess it's not legal in the CIF ). It was the only thing that made me glad I did not leave midway through the 2nd quarter, which if the weather had not been so good and the VP fans so enjoyable to be around, I would have. Hopefully there will be a video.

VP will go on to have another nice season against opponents they should be playing. The same can be said about Simeon... but... the imprint left with them about each of these games will... imo... for the most part, not be positive.

I cannot think of one reason this game should have been played...or any others like it... even as a filler game. Beating Servite and playing MV strong as VP did last year is one thing. Playing one of these "hyper teams" is quite another.

Now you understand the concept of "Tiers" of HS football teams.

Villa Park is the Folsom of their area, but not in the same Universe as a team from multiple Tiers above them

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

The problem is there are not enough good teams around to fill MD, SJB, or even Dela's schedule  up north.  Any game is better than a practice because you can suit up, have referees, and can work on a few things for even a qtr and a half. The second and third teams also get to see a lot playing time. As for VP, they will benefit when they go back to playing teams in their own sphere. Of course the games are decided before they even begin, but their is still a benefit for both teams to play the game, rather than not have a game at all. 

• Thanks 1

The most sickening part watching the highlights... Is how MD still had starters in up 42-0 in the 2nd Q still passing trying to blow them out... 

AND the way those kids from MD celebrated up so much after each little play. Id be embarrassed knowing how unfair that is.

Id score & run back to the sideline.

Its like a 35 year old man beating up a 10 year, then standing over him talking shit like hes a bad ass.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

The problem is there are not enough good teams around to fill MD, SJB, or even Dela's schedule  up north.  Any game is better than a practice because you can suit up, have referees, and can work on a few things for even a qtr and a half. The second and third teams also get to see a lot playing time. As for VP, they will benefit when they go back to playing teams in their own sphere. Of course the games are decided before they even begin, but their is still a benefit for both teams to play the game, rather than not have a game at all. 

Much of what you point out is true but in this case it quickly became where the logic will not apply. Had MD gotten deep into the depth chart midway through the 2nd... as I would had done if I were coaching, everything you pointed out is dead on. Everybody would have walked out a winner. While only a suspicion on my part, it seemed as if MD was trying to make a statement, relative to the ratings race with SJB and SFA after their blowout wins. Unlike the MD MV game you and I attended last year where MV at least looked credible, this affair, the way MD played it out, was a total disaster.

2 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

The most sickening part watching the highlights... Is how MD still had starters in up 42-0 in the 2nd Q still passing trying to blow them out... 

Winning isn’t everything, totally embarrassing you’re opponent is.

AND the way those kids from MD celebrated up so much after each little play. Id be embarrassed knowing how unfair that is.

Just watch the U13 and U14 travel teams and how this practice is advocated.

Id score & run back to the sideline.

Tight ends do this and they’re a dying breed.

Its like a 35 year old man beating up a 10 year, then standing over him talking shit like hes a bad ass.

Society, especially sports society tends to reward the badass.

10 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Now you understand the concept of "Tiers" of HS football teams.

Villa Park is the Folsom of their area, but not in the same Universe as a team from multiple Tiers above them

So where does that put Servite? 

This is ridiculous... 

When your best public team looks like they got skull bashed I get Cen10 has a QB problem but that's ridiculous and you know it... 

There comes a point where the "get good"excuse is  pathetic... 

The CIF had a chance to do something to equalize the playing field but instead we get a half assed excuse letter "these schools know blah blah blah not to damage the integrity of the sport". 

Your state association is a bunch of filthy pansies...