Ohio Week 4 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

St. Ignatius (2-1) @ DeMatha MD (2-1) - DeMatha 28 Iggy 17

Iggy won a big game against Hoban 42-41. Iggy started off the game with a TD on their opening drive, but then fell behind to Hoban 35-10 thanks to Hoban's Hamm and Trayanum, and some big defensive plays. Iggy made a 2nd half comeback, using their size, and rotating defenders against smaller, less experienced Hoban Lines. Iggy QB Hanna played great and connected with star WR Cmiel late in the 4th to take the lead 42-35. On the subsuquent kickoff, Hoban returned the kickoff for a TD. On the XP attempt, Iggy was flagged for hurdling to block the kick. Hoban decided to go for 2 for the win, and attempted a QB draw, which resulted in a pile at the Goalline and a delayed response from the refs, but ultimately came up short.

DeMatha comes in at 2-1. After a 35-7 loss to SJB, some of our DeMatha fans were pushing for their Freshman QB Edge to get a chance. DeMatha's QB Anthony is very skilled and has done better recently, but I don't know how much of a passing threat he provides. I'm not sure what the current consensus is among DeMatha fans. DeMatha has a great RB in Lloyd, and a very solid OLine. On the other side of the ball, DeMatha has great front 7 on D led by Izzard at DT. They may be a little vulnerable in the secondary. Since losing to SJB, they've dominated Imhotep and Avalon.

This has potential to be a great game. I could defintely see it being lopsided in favor of DeMatha if Iggy can't deal with the speed of Lloyd. Iggy has struggled with speed and mobile QB's in the past. Iggy has faced some good QB/RB combo's the past 2 weeks. I think Iggy may struggle to score at times, but I think will hit some big plays to Cmiel. A big X factor could be Iggy's kicker, whom nailed 53 & 56 yd FG's last week. I give DeMatha the edge at home.  

St. Edward (2-1) vs Elder (3-0) - Ed's 38 Elder 35

Ed's beat Erie Cathedral Prep 21-14. This was a game dictated by weather, as some nasty storms moved in the area, and there were 25-30 mph winds. Neither team tried or had much success throwing the ball. OMalley and Formani had good games running the ball. Pietrowski had some big second half sacks. Eds had a little trouble at first with Cathedrals ground attack, but adapted and shut them out in the 2nd half.

Elder was pushed to the brink by Clearwater Academy FL, winning a shootout 60-54. Elder's defense is definitely their achilles heel and has been since ~2005. They seriously struggle with speed. On the other side of the ball, Elder has been stellar. They have a good dual threat QB in Luebbe, a good group of WR's, a solid RB, and most importantly a dominant OLine. Elder has three 3-Star guys on the OLine, including OL Kandra, OL James, and TE Royer. Royer is a real talent. Their OLine was getting a 2-3 yd push every snap against Clearwater.

Elder has won their last 2 games against Cathedral IN, and Clearwater Academy FL, both of which went down to the wire. Elder has been able to score against everybody, but haven't been able stop the better offenses. Elder's coach Ramsey is one of the best Offensive coaches around, and should call a good game. Lombardo for Eds will also have his guys prepared. I see a shootout happening. The Home team usually does better in this matchup, so I will give this one to Eds by the slightest edge.

St. Xavier (3-0) vs. Cathedral IN (3-1) - X 28 Cathedral 17

X dominated Penn without Star TE Marshall Lang, winning 37-7. X has 2 great recieving threats and a pretty good QB who can get them the ball. X''s ground game has been lacking and that may be an area of concern. X's Defense has played very good so far. X's special teams have been phenomenal, and X has only had one turnover so far. 

Cathedral has looked very solid so far this year. They have beat Bishop Chatard, Noblesville, Moeller, and lost to Elder in OT. Cathedral usually plays solid defense. They have good size on the OLine.

This is a series that X has dominated, and for that reason, I'm going with X. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what to expect. Cathedral has been tough so far. A good test for X.

Colerain (2-1) @ Princeton (2-1) - Colerain 20 Princeton 7

Colerain beat Oak Hills 45-14, and played their starters very sparingly. Most of the starters were out of the game mid 2nd qtr. I thought it was a little early to start subbing, but obviously the starters weren't needed. Oak Hills was completely awful and ran an outdated single wing offense terribly. It was truly baffling to watch. Colerain's offense gained some confindence and looked a little more fluid. Colerain has some young pretty good RB's whom are getting better with experience. If Colerain really makes a lot of improvement on blocking schemes, they have the skill to be pretty dangerous. On Defense, Colerain has been dominant. The secondary has been the weak spot, but they've been looking better each week. No team has had any success running the ball on Colerain so far this year, with Wayne and X almost completely abandoning the run. 

Princeton lost a heartbreaker to Sycamore last week 16-13. It quieted the hype around them. Princeton had tons of preseason hype surrounding them this year, because of how much top end talent they had. After gaining some transfers from the private schools, Princeton now has 3 of the top 4 recruits in Ohio, including the highest rated OLinemen in the country, 5-star Paris Johnson, 4-star DT Darrion Henry, 4-star LB Thomas, and 2 other 3-star Defenders. The thing thing that has held Princeton back has been coaching, and discipline. Also, despite their size, Princeton's offense isn't very impressive. Their offense was very unimaginative, and didn't have much of a passing threat. Princeton's Defense, however, has been lights out.

Princeton's Defense is very strong, and is very big on the DLine, but they do lack some speed up front due to their sheer size. A smaller, faster Colerain offense may be able to take advantage of this with the right play calls. However, I expect Princeton to be in the backfield quite a bit and blow some plays up. The big question will be if Freddie Johnson can make the right reads under the intense pressure.....On the other side of the ball, I don't see Princeton being able to move the ball much, unless they make a personnel change or have been completely hiding their offense. Sycamore was breaking through the line quite a bit and making some good tackles for losses or no gain. Colerain's DLine is much better than Sycamore's and should be able to stuff the run and get pressure on Princeton's QB Horton, whom isn't a very accurate passer, especially under pressure. Overall I see a closer game dominated by both defenses, with Colerain pulling away late.

Hilliard Davidson (3-0) vs. Olentangy Liberty (3-0) Liberty 21 HD 17

Ill keep this one brief, because there is always so little info out there regarding the Columbus area teams. So apparently HD lost a good amount of talent from last season. They have a nice start beating rivals Hilliard Darby and Hilliard Bradley...........Liberty has a nice start also, beating Pick North, Wayne, and Glenville. However, those teams only have 1 win between them. Liberty has emerged as a program, having made it to the semifinals representing Region 2 the last 3 years. Toss up game.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Good slate of games this week, both out of state and in. I think Coletrain's prediction could be spot on for the Ed's/Elder game. The Elder faithful are really liking their team this year and don't think any team can keep them under 30 (partly because no one has yet). They have good reason to like their offense this year with a couple D1 prospects on the o-line and a big time TE in Royer who can block and catch. I haven't seen the new QB Luebbe yet, but hearing good things. And of course, Ramsey's play-calling on offense is as good as any. Ed's got out of the Pit last year by outscoring Elder 22-2 in the second half en route to a 36-30 victory. Historically, Elder has not fared well in their trips to NEO against the Eagles, with their last victory coming in 2009. That is also the last time they've scored over 20 points on the road against the Eagles.  Is this Elder offense better than the Mentor one that Ed's held under 30? We shall see I guess. Having three weeks under their belt will certainly help.  Big task for a defense-focused Eagle team. Elder gives so many different looks, and I don't think there is anyone that can really matchup well with Royer. Just have to eliminate the big plays and have help over the top. On the flipside, Elder's defense does not appear to match their offensive prowess. An athletic Clearwater Academy team had their way with them.  While Ed's may not have the overall D1 athletes that they had, there are plenty of guys who can burn them. Still haven't heard anything on Wainwright's return, but Foster is a guy who could really hurt an Elder defense that has been lacking in speed and athletes. 

Ignatius-Dematha is the big OOS game. I was heavily favoring Dematha coming into the season, but last weeks result against Hoban has me thinking Ignatius can pull off the upset. Hanna looks more comfortable in the no-huddle hurry-up offense that they ran during the second half comeback. I'd expect to see more of that.  McNamara had a big game in his return to action, and the LB corp will be much better equipped to try and deal with Lloyd when he's in there. I'd also expect to see Daugstrup used at DE more. He gives them more athleticism up front and helps to keep their rotation fresh. The long road trip will be the big challenge, and as was mentioned, Ignatius has not fared well on these east-coast trips in the past decade or so. 

Other big R1 games:

Euclid @ Medina - this has the makings for a high-scoring shootout where the team with possession last will win. Euclid has a bevy of talented athletes on offense and has put up 112 points in the past two weeks. Medina is throwing the ball between 50 and 60 times a game in their 5 wide look.  Both teams come in at 3-0 and the winner will look be be the biggest threat to an undefeated regular season for Mentor. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

Moeller having a historically bad year? 

Yes new coach. Don't know how much of the old staff is gone. 

Same with Wayne. Waynes longtime coach was run out of the program, and now Wayne is 0-3 and getting whooped 28-0 at half. 

It's still a long season, but I feel thankful at Colerain that after a Coaching change, Colerain still looks like Colerain.