Florida is Mired in Mediocrity

181pl

The state is living on reputation alone. Outside of St Thomas and IMG and maybe Lakeland, Florida does not really even have one legitimate top 100 team right now.

Looks like Edgewater, Columbia and a couple others are also having decent years, but I'm not sold on them as top 100 teams in the country. Dade appears to be way, way, way down. They are getting their asses handed to them in every big game.

The Tampa area is terrible. We have two or 3 legitimate teams. Armwood and Tampa Bay Tech. Maybe Lakewood. Tech and Lakewood have never proven it in the playoffs however. If they get to the third round it's a miracle. The rest of our area is pure garbage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

The state is living on reputation alone. Outside of St Thomas and IMG and maybe Lakeland, Florida does not really even have one legitimate top 100 team right now.

Looks like Edgewater, Columbia and a couple others are also having decent years, but I'm not sold on them as top 100 teams in the country. Dade appears to be way, way, way down. They are getting their asses handed to them in every big game.

The Tampa area is terrible. We have two or 3 legitimate teams. Armwood and Tampa Bay Tech. Maybe Lakewood. Tech and Lakewood have never proven it in the playoffs however. If they get to the third round it's a miracle. The rest of our area is pure garbage. 

7A #3 Edgewater plays Marietta GA the 1st week of October. Should be interesting.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

How do you feel about Clear Water?  I watched them and Elder get into a shootout.  They have no depth at all but their skill guys are better than solid and they can score.

Honestly, I don't know much about these pop-up academies like Clearwater Academy and American Collegiate. I think they play Atlantic coming up so I should get to see that one at some point.

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

7A #3 Edgewater plays Marietta GA the 1st week of October. Should be interesting.

Big Loser W/nothing's Uncle is the HC of 7A #3 Edgewater.

He's a volunteer....sells tires in his real job.

I think a couple guys from the Fire Department and a guy from Walmart help him out when they can.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

I just looked at their schedule and it looks like they can't play in the Florida playoffs.  I didn't even realize that it was what it is until you mentioned it.  That said they got some players.  Their line plays both ways which got them in trouble against Elder.

Yeah, it's not Clearwater High. It's Clearwater Academy. It looks like they're clearly the better of the two academies, though.

Clearwater Academy was playing 8 man football about three years ago. 

They are not part of the FHSAA so they don’t have to answer to anyone in regards to recruiting and eligibility. 

They have a lot of international players on their team. Just look at their roster and you will barely be able to pronounce some of their names. They don’t seem to have many Tampa Bay Area transfers. 

CAI also plays the current number 1 team in TN in a few weeks too. 

4 hours ago, 181pl said:

A lot of generally strong FL programs are going through a transition year

May not be strongest FL year on a national level but it's still a top 3 state 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2