Why these Mater Dei Transfers caught DLS Attn:

Texasfrog

1 minute ago, Pops said:

I believe the Trinity schools and DLS operated very similarly before the advent of the academies

You have good points but DLS has no competition in their area for kids who want to get next level exposure.

The Trinity League schools are all bunched with in a small geographic area.  Similar to the BNU and WCAC.

If DLS had 4 other National Top 100 teams within 30 miles, then it would be fair.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Forcing people to "stick it out" against their will is not only silly but it's coercion.

If you think sticking it out is better for the kid then that's your opinion and that's fine. But you can't legislate good parenting.

I do think sticking it out is usually the best choice, period.

• For the lessons described above
  • To keep priorities in perspective (vs disrupting school, friends, rest of life)
  • the kids that transfer rarely seem to benefit from doing so -- they either already have plenty of attractive offers or it doesn't help them get any.  What do you think the ratio is for kids that improved their prospects vs kids that transferred for athletic reasons?  I think it's way less than 1 in 10 (opinion).

No argument on legislating good parenting.  And, I'm generally in favor of individual liberties, as long as they are doing no harm to anyone else (which can be debatable in this situation).

I've pretty much accepted that it is what it is and DLS may have a Tier 2 ceiling going forward.  The rest is just commentary.

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

You have good points but DLS has no competition in their area for kids who want to get next level exposure.

The Trinity League schools are all bunched with in a small geographic area.  Similar to the BNU and WCAC.

If DLS had 4 other National Top 100 teams within 30 miles, then it would be fair.

I bet the Trinity schools still have more kids/ school than DLS 

By a multiple not a %

The Bay Area has the NorCal version of the Trinity League in the WCAL which are parochial schools that are much more densely located than DLS and DLS probably does enjoy a little more of this sort of advantage vs them.  Bellarmine I believe is the largest private school in state and one of maybe 8 or so parochial between San Jose and SF.  There are a few other parochial that play ball in East Bay (Moreau, Bishop O'Dowd, Salesian), but they are smaller schools without near the notoriety or competition that DLS plays.  All of these schools every year have a kid or two that DLS could use, but they don't compete at same level for the few kids in east bay that actually choose their hs (not their senior year) based partly on football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pops said:

I bet the Trinity schools still have more kids/ school than DLS 

By a multiple not a %

The Bay Area has the NorCal version of the Trinity League in the WCAL which are parochial schools that are much more densely located than DLS and DLS probably does enjoy a little more of this sort of advantage vs them.  Bellarmine I believe is the largest private school in state and one of maybe 8 or so parochial between San Jose and SF.  There are a few other parochial that play ball in East Bay (Moreau, Bishop O'Dowd, Salesian), but they are smaller schools without near the notoriety or competition that DLS plays.  All of these schools every year have a kid or two that DLS could use, but they don't compete at same level for the few kids in east bay that actually choose their hs (not their senior year) based partly on football.

I agree with you completely that the Arms race in the Trinitly league has provided a big advantage to MD and SJB.  I have seen may HS teams over the years but the product being put on the field by SJB and MD are substantially better in every position than the great teams of even 6 years ago.  Even the 2013 SJB team would struggle.

Like I said before, the only way for DLS to compete in the near future is to actively open their arms to (whisper transfers) and to put in an offensive scheme that would attract the kids of today.

DLS won't do that, and as a purist, I am glad that they won't.  I like DLS as they have always been, if they win that way great.  If they don't then at least they did it their way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pops said:

No argument on legislating good parenting.  And, I'm generally in favor of individual liberties, as long as they are doing no harm to anyone else (which can be debatable in this situation).

This is a bastardization of the idea of individual liberties.

Individual liberties should be protected especially in the case where it harms yourself or others. There are consequences to your actions and people shouldn't be protected from them.

The idea that a kid leaving your program causes harm to players is ridiculous.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

DLS won't do that, and as a purist, I am glad that they won't.  I like DLS as they have always been, if they win that way great.  If they don't then at least they did it their way.

The thing that's always lost in the self-aggrandizing done by Pops is that it wouldn't matter all that much if DLS got more transfers or had more talent.

They aren't going to get any better running the veer and no talented QBs or WRs will want to play in that offense. The only place where they would benefit would be up front on defense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Guru said:

Because you have no talent and likely had kids with no talent.

So sticking it out for the experience and lessons was probably the right move.

Why be an ass?

not that it matters, but fwiw, I’m pretty sure I played at a higher level than you and and am certain either of my boys could force a tap out in seconds 

We’re not debating a parents rights — what % of transfers (motivated for football reasons for sake of discussion) get a scholarship where one wasn’t or wouldn’t have been otherwise available?

STA a bit of a different animal because of their connections but even there..... not normally the case 

Athletically motivated transferring is about as wide if a decision as investing in the lotto 

They aren't going to get any better running the veer and no talented QBs or WRs will want to play in that offense. The only place where they would benefit would be up front on defense.

Joe Mixon and Najee Harris both lived closer to DLS than we did 

just to name a couple of exceptions to your over-generalization 

and DLS is snack in the middle of one of the richest QB areas in country — if they decided to go the academy route, they might consider changing their offense, but then again, they’ve had 6 QBs go D1 in last 20 years running the veer — Ken dorsey, Kyle Wright and Gino Toretta (3 Miami QBs) both also lived closer to DLS and toretta reputedly got turned down by admissions 

they wouldn’t have the same cupboard to choose from as a single school or two that could get their choice if socal, DFw, or Dade/ Broward, MD/ DC, but they could put together as good or better of roster than anyone else if they chose that route 

An opinion based on nothing at all.

I could have been like everyone else including you and just stated an opinion as fact — I acknowledged for transparency

that said, not based on nothing at all whatsoever 

— I see lots of kids with schollies tranfer and I see lots of kids without schollies transfer and not get them 

— I don’t noticenir recall any kids that didn’t have a scholarship and transferred to a school where they got a scholarship (and would not likely have at their old school)

— I wasn’t citing published data because there isn’t any (nor would I care to chase)

The idea that a kid leaving your program causes harm to players is ridiculous.

It causes harm to the kid that started at that school and worked with his teammates that he replaced 

acting like this idea of helicopter parents chasing dreams for their star children exists in a vacuum is ridiculous 

3 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I agree with you completely that the Arms race in the Trinitly league has provided a big advantage to MD and SJB.  I have seen may HS teams over the years but the product being put on the field by SJB and MD are substantially better in every position than the great teams of even 6 years ago.  Even the 2013 SJB team would struggle.

Like I said before, the only way for DLS to compete in the near future is to actively open their arms to (whisper transfers) and to put in an offensive scheme that would attract the kids of today.

I also hope that don’t and agree these current teams are just on a different level than the even the best historical teams 

I do think that when DLS has a bit of a team, that they’ll still be able to compete with these guys and maybe steal one occasionally — they haven’t had that team since 2015 — I think ‘19 is beat since then but I also think it’s socal’s Best so not sure they’ve closed gap 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Interesting. ..

3 hours ago, Pops said:

and DLS is snack in the middle of one of the richest QB areas in country — if they decided to go the academy route, they might consider changing their offense, but then again, they’ve had 6 QBs go D1 in last 20 years running the veer — Ken dorsey, Kyle Wright and Gino Toretta (3 Miami QBs) both also lived closer to DLS and toretta reputedly got turned down by admissions

I knew that you'd mention Gino Torretta, Kyle Wright and Ken Dorsey. That's because you always do. It's still meaningless.

Those players would never go to DLS and would never benefit athletically from being there. Their talent would have been wasted.

3 hours ago, Pops said:

It causes harm to the kid that started at that school and worked with his teammates that he replaced 

acting like this idea of helicopter parents chasing dreams for their star children exists in a vacuum is ridiculous

The kid who worked hard and was "replaced" wasn't good enough and/or got beat out by a fellow student fair and square.

What's true is that those kids who lose the job and transfer rarely amount to anything.The first question that they're likely to get from a recruiter is why did you leave school X.They don't have a good answer.