ot: cops draw down on unarmed group of 12 year olds

1 hour ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

not trying to be judgmental, but was this completely necessary?

right or wrong.... they made enemies for life here

The stronger the community relationships the less this type of aggressiveness is needed, the weaker the relationship with the community, this type of behavior is the result.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rockinl said:

Apparently someone in this thread missed the part where the civilian told the police that a kid in all black "dropped a revolver". 

Kudos to the parents of these kids for apparently teaching them to comply with authority.

It was the wrong group of kids RockinL.  The cops explained that at the end.  They were "at the wrong place at the wrong time."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

They tried for "relationships" in Chicago !!!!!!  Rahm Emmannuel fired the police Chief in a vain attempt to improve "relationships in the "community"..

Please stay on the topic.  What I said still stands, where stronger community relationships exist, the less this type of aggressiveness is required.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

It would be better  for you,with your community concern,to learn police training and proper protocols....Then, you will stop your restorative justice  attitude and "let them shoot me first" before police act mantra..

When a cop says FREEZE, that ain't an open door for negotiation!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

What is the proper protocol?  Please explain when it's appropriate to draw a weapon?

When I was in college, I was stopped once, while I was driving down Route 66 to get some trim! Because I fit the description of a car thief who stole a British racing green '68 Mustang fastback, with a four speed 289, like mine.:) And BOTH cops had their weapon unholstered!

2 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

That worked well in Chicago too...

Works great in our communities in my city.  Police relationships are pretty good, but of course it's a smaller town and cops grew up for the most part with the residents and know them.  Funny how that works.

there are other cities besides Chicago.

There was a case similar to this back in NJ. Cops were called where supposedly a kid was brandishing a gun at a park. Cop comes to the park on the call. Kid winds up running away and gets cornered in an alley on a gray spring day. Kid turns around and cop shoots the kid dead. A whole lot of lives changed in an instant. If that kid would have just not run the rest would never have happened. Real bad situation. 

4 minutes ago, concha said:

It was enough to know there was a group of group of kids, at least one reported with a gun.  Under such circumstances, are they supposed to wait until someone draws down on them?

My whole premise is if they had better relationships in the community, the less this type of action is needed.   nonetheless, they had the wrong group of kids there is no twisting that fact.

Just now, Horsefly said:

My whole premise is if they had better relationships in the community, the less this type of action is needed.   nonetheless, they had the wrong group of kids there is no twisting that fact.

No twisting the fact of the documented report of a gun either.

The cops did it right and everyone went home.

One wonders what would have happened if the cops had not had their weapons out and it was the right group of kids and one of them punched a cop's ticket. What would have been your reaction then? 

• Like 2

Just now, Horsefly said:

It's a situation not unlike someone near and dear to myownself experienced in Vietnam! All things being equal, to determine civilian from foe, you only hadta deduce which ones had WEAPONS!

• Like 2