ot: cops draw down on unarmed group of 12 year olds

5 hours ago, Horsefly said:

As young as 12 I was shot at with a .22 by a lunatic cousin, unfortunately I was the target, fortunately it missed.  So please spare me about life lessons.  You know me as Horselfy on a HSFB website, nothing else.

anyways.  My point was if the cops had better relationships in the community the less this would happen. It's not rocket science, the more they know, the better to respond accordingly.

here's my original response: "The stronger the community relationships the less this type of aggressiveness is needed, the weaker the relationship with the community, this type of behavior is the result."

You keep saying if cops had stronger relationships in the community.... 

The community has to be open to that and many or all aren't where there's a high crime rate. 

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Speaking to the video from the OP...

I think the cops were probably warranted to handle the situation with the kids as they did, given the information that they had. While they're probably well within their rights to draw down on the kids like that, maybe that wasn't necessary at all. I mean, they had clean line of site and no kid was holding a gun in hand. Perhaps you get out and stand behind the door just as the officer did, but without drawing straight away. Maybe you have your hand on the gun at ready, in case you see a kid reach or whatever. It's a tough thing. These were kids after all. 12 years old kids playing on the sidewalk and doing kid stuff. 

I personally had more trouble with the cops ordering the person that was standing on their own porch inside when that person was on their own property and not a part of the investigation etc. 

Are we in a police state here in America now?  It seems a lot like as a citizen, we deserve Andy Griffith/Sheriff Andy Taylor types for our cops and all too often we end up with the Terminator or Barney Fife. 

Cops in Sylvester, Ga. last week went to the High School, and basically pulled entire classes of kids out into the hallway and patted them down. No probable cause. I mean if they walk a dog down through and it alerts on a classroom, and they take the kids to the hall, walk the dog through the class and the dog doesn't alert on a bag or desk, then maybe you start asking the kids questions or whatever. Just patting down every student in the school is ridiculous.

http://www.walb.com/story/35168276/worth-co-sheriff-defends-controversial-school-search

Any way, at risk of changing the subject, but staying kind of on topic about police behavior... Does anyone else watch LivePD on A&E Friday and Saturday nights? I find myself impressed most of the time at the police/civilian interactions. Of course, this is being filmed live and there are always cameras rolling on these officers, so I'm pretty sure they act accordingly. 

When I see civilians trying to film the police, the cops often seem to have a problem with it and act totally different than the officers on LivePD. 

This is why I say... FTP. Film The Police. Film them, film them, film them. 

If they had a gun fight and the person on porch was shot you would be saying the cops did a shitty job and should've told them to get off of porch so they wouldn't get hit in crossfire. There's no winning with some. 

4 hours ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

there was also a case of kid supposedly brandishing a gun in the park.. caller even took the time to tell dispatcher that the gun was mroe than likely fake...

in this scenario, the boy didnt dun at all... the cop swiftly pulled up on the kid, immediately pulled out his gun and within 2 seconds, shot this 12 year old dead

http://www.cnn.com/videos/justice/2015/12/28/tamir-rice-shooting-grand-jury-saw-enhanced-video-casarez-sot-nr.cnn/video/playlists/tamir-rice-shooting/

Not as simple as you make it sound. Horrible situation all around. 

4 hours ago, Horsefly said:

and why do you think they hate and distrust police?

Good question given that:

• Police are far more likely to get killed by a black perpetrator than kill an unarmed black man (18.5x per research by Heather McDonald). 
  • Once police backed off due to the national offensive against them sparked by BLM, we saw spikes in murder rates in our inner cities. Cops save lives.

23 minutes ago, concha said:

Good question given that:

• Police are far more likely to get killed by a black perpetrator than kill an unarmed black man (18.5x per research by Heather McDonald). 
  • Once police backed off due to the national offensive against them sparked by BLM, we saw spikes in murder rates in our inner cities. Cops save lives.

I asked why some black people distrust cops and you rattled off irrelevant things.  That distrust is not just in the large inner city, it's any black community, small, urban or rural. 

Its okay to say you don't have a view from that perspective, contrary to the image you try to portray on here, you don't know every damn thing.

• Like 1

Just now, Horsefly said:

I asked why some black people distrust cops and you rattled off irrelevant things.  That distrust is not just in the large inner city, it's any black community, small, urban or rural. 

Its okay to say you don't have a view from that perspective, contrary to the image you try to portray on here, you don't know every damn thing.

And you seem to want to strenuously avoid looking at the situation from a police or even practical viewpoint.

Police go into the inner city and try to help, then they are "an occupying force".

Police back off and the crime rates spike, and then they don't care about black folks.

And how often do you see when a black guy or kid gets shot, the press portrayal is that he's some altar boy? Only for the truth to come out as just the opposite (though this gets ignored or shifted to the back page)? BLM was literally founded on such a case.  The narrative becomes one of innocent young black men being gunned down in industrial quantities by an evil police state.  The reality is that such cases are few in number, cops are more likely to suffer at the hands of these young black men than vice versa, and the ones actually doing nearly all the shooting and killing are other young black men (and moreso when the cops are pressured to back off by the likes of BLM).

Just now, concha said:

And you seem to want to strenuously avoid looking at the situation from a police or even practical viewpoint.

Police go into the inner city and try to help, then they are "an occupying force".

Police back off and the crime rates spike, and then they don't care about black folks.

And how often do you see when a black guy or kid gets shot, the press portrayal is that he's some altar boy? Only for the truth to come out as just the opposite (though this gets ignored or shifted to the back page)? BLM was literally founded on such a case.  The narrative becomes one of innocent young black men being gunned down in industrial quantities by an evil police state.  The reality is that such cases are few in number, cops are more likely to suffer at the hands of these young black men than vice versa, and the ones actually doing nearly all the shooting and killing are other young black men (and moreso when the cops are pressured to back off by the likes of BLM).

It's one question, and it was my question.   Why do some blacks distrust cops?  Nothing you've given even comes close to answering that question because it's a question from one perspective, that of black people.

nvm, you can keep talking about cops and BLM and murder rates, etc. That was not the question and I don't think you care to listen and learn, you got it all figured out.

"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen Covey

10 hours ago, concha said:

Are You Democrat Or Republican?

Are you a Democrat or a Republican? Here's a little test to help you decide:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock .40 cal, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family.

What do you do?

Democrat's Answer

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor? Or oppressed? Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids?

Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation? Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?

Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me? If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me? Should I call 9-1-1? Why is this street so deserted?

We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior.

This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for few days and try to come to a consensus.

Republican's Answer

BANG! BANG!

Extra Credit: Southern Republican's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click.....(sounds of reloading).

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click

Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silvertips or Federal Hydra-Shoks?"

Get some help quickly.

honest

39 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Why do cops have to spend so much time in black communities? I can promise you the majority of calls to the LPD are from the law abiding citizens in South Longview. Lot of good elderly folks down there that wont come out after dark because of gangs and dope dealers. Why is that?

Why are their dope dealers on the corners in South Longview every night, and not on my street? Why is the murder rate in predominately black South Longview one of the highest in Texas? Why were 80 of all violent crimes committed in Longview Texas in 2015, committed by black males between the ages of 15 and 45? Why is a 12 year old black male walking the streets with a revolver?

Why were there 15 homicides in Longview in 2015 (highest in TEXAS for its size), and 0 in Allen? Is it because the police have a better relationship with the Allen community? Or was it that Allen doesnt have a minority gang problem?

Why dont you ask me who I overwhelmingly had the most problems with in my 13 years as a P.O. and a school resource officer?

Start by answering those questions professor. Point the finger at the root of the problems. This is no way a "black vs white" post. This is reality vs. fiction.

You know nothing about real world policing.

• Like 3

Part of the problem is down to historical feelings of racism, which to some degree may not have disappeared.

That said, even Jesse Jackson recognized that there is a huge crime problem amongst predominantly black and male inner city youth. And this is even in cities and states where the local governments and police forces are run by blacks and for decades have been run by Democrats (who the African-American community continues to vote for almost unanimously).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

It's one question, and it was my question.   Why do some blacks distrust cops?  Nothing you've given even comes close to answering that question because it's a question from one perspective, that of black people.

nvm, you can keep talking about cops and BLM and murder rates, etc. That was not the question and I don't think you care to listen and learn, you got it all figured out.

"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen Covey

You are much better off sir reading this. Gather a perspective of ones thoughts and develop a sense of that persons mindset and use it as a barometer to really not engage that person in any meaningful dialogue.  There is a history of Cops beating the hell out of Black people since the inception of this country.  Especially in the South they were born from The paddy Wagon Crews of which elder Black people still call whites.  They will have no concept of that but every black person will grab the word from my sentence and know which word elder blacks often refer to them by.  Peonage, sundown laws, and other heinous activities have developed this mistrust among the A..A community.  You can never get another man to understand your side because he never wants to see what you see and vice versa.  St. Louis P.D. is one that shoots more unarmed black men than any department causing black officers to form their own union.  The mistrust is real and it didn't start because black people were these runaway thugs. It was because of runaways but not of the thug variety.  Most cops are good as are most African Americans.  The President of the St. Louis Black Police Association asked why does black cops never shoot unarmed white men in confrontations?  It's easy to stigmatize a group of people blacks as well as Cops.  One of my closest Friends stopped our friendship over a post I made about the shooting of innocent cops here in Dallas by a angry black guy.  He has such a distrust of them in South Carolina that he felt I had turned my back and was Cooning by saying that All lives matter and he felt I trivialized the Past and Present state of situations that happen to black men while in confrontation with cops.  Meanwhile THIS IS WHY THERE IS DISTRUST>  Video's have exposed a lot of things that in the past were swept under the carpet.  You should have asked why you have anxiety when a cop stops you for no other reason than the color of your skin and let Concha give you the stats on why you shouldn't feel that way?   

"Let no man's perception ever trump your reality"

Now I shall go back to reading response from all these guys who are so much more intelligent than I am.  It provides more entertainment and a unique opportunity to not have too address clear nonsense. 9_9 By the way Native Americans are shot more than any group. Those savage thugs no doubt.  Interesting the people that were originally abused and their land stolen, and the people stolen to work the land after it was takeN are killed the most by cops. Yeah no history to this B.S.   I AM PRO COP. 

http://countercurrentnews.com/2016/10/current-statistics-of-us-police-show-natives-killed-at-a-higher-rate-than-blacks/

I shall exit this before one of you superior people get upset with my being uppity and put me in my place with a racial epithet.

However, though African-Americans are undeniably dying at an unjustifiably higher rate than most other ethnic groups, Native Americans make up three of the top five ethnic/age-groups most likely to be killed by law enforcement. Both Native Americans and Blacks have been twice as likely to be killed by police this year than Whites. This is actually down from last year, when Blacks were killed by police at 3 times the rate of Whites. However, the incidence of Native American police violence has shown no such decrease. Though Native Americans represent only 0.8% of the US population, they now account for nearly 2% of all fatal police shootings

• Like 1