ot: cops draw down on unarmed group of 12 year olds

13 minutes ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

I want to take a second to acknowledge and show appreciation for the civility shown on this topic

these type of emotional issues can easily get out of hand

nice to see men listening to each other....and learning 

I agree.  I have never had an issue really with Concha or Rockin L, NorcalRuss or THC and a few other even in disagreement which really we are never that far off but most concentrate on our differences and it escalates.  No one wants innocent cops or people killed and most people want decent neighborhoods. Good topic with adult opinions. The only reason I stuck around once the clown left.  I too appreciated the input.

I will say this when one presents his point it is made to ensure the other recipient take notice.  The adult should be able to respond in kind. See Concha's red responses to my questions.  Only 2 of them I think he was Moronic xD But I knew he tried the best he could.

P.S. Concha could you please call me a MORON one more time.  9_9

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilDog said:

I agree.  I have never had an issue really with Concha or Rockin L or THC even in disagreement which really we are never that far off but most concentrate on our differences and it escalates.  No one wants innocent cops or people killed and most people want decent neighborhoods. Good topic with adult opinions. The only reason I stuck around once the clown left.  I too appreciated the input.

P.S. Concha could you please call me a MORON one more time.  9_9

I'll do you better than that:  You are a colossally stupid fucking moron.

Feel better now? And yes, the average poster IQ and quality of discussion tends to spike upwards when Chip is absent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, concha said:

I'll do you better than that:  You are a colossally stupid fucking moron.

Feel better now? And yes, the average poster IQ and quality of discussion tends to spike upwards when Chip is absent.

You made me spit Red PowerAde all over my computer knucklehead. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

Longview Texas is a very small case study... dont you agree?

according to fbi stats ... even with biased arrests included, whites still outnumber blacks in felony arrest by almost 3 to 1...

two huge problems I have with that: it's not represented in the media or the prison system

---------

on another note... why have shootings by cops increased to all time highs while violence in America has decreased to all time lows??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laurenbrooke-eisen/americas-faulty-perceptio_b_6878520.html

-----------

I grew up in a city where cops had it rough... Dallas averaged well over 300 murders a year during my teens..

but cops weren't on edge... and society didn't consistently make excuses for questionable behavior

Much of society was repulsed when they saw the Rodney King Beating....we're desensitized now that cold blooded murder by cops doesn't even make us flinch

----------------------------------------

I have a theory...

I dont think it's a 'cop' problem per se.. I think it's a generational issue

Far too many people have adopted a me first attitude... from the customer care rep at Verizon... to the cashier at Mcdonalds...Loan Officers at Wells Fargo.. to midwives in delivery rooms (im reminded of a doctor killing a baby during delivery because she was in a rush to get to the club)

sadly, this generation of cops are no different...

Agree, while America is great in many ways, we seem to have forgotten the basic fundamentals of what makes us great. Some may agree with some points I will make  but that's ok. 

First and foremost is the kids, we have got to do a better job raising kids with values and goals. I remember when I was a kid, neighbors would watch me daily as my mom worked 3 jobs to support my sister and I. All us neighborhood kids ate at each other's houses daily and where like family. Everyone helped each other at end of month when money was tight. We would borrow simple food items to help each other get by. Neighbors would beat my ass if I stepped out of line and then my mom would beat it again when she got home. I have 2  teenage kids at home so our house is where lot of kids hangout. Lot of them have little parental supervision. Some have no goals after high school. My wife and I try to talk to them about it without being overbearing and try to motivate them to go after a dream. 

The social media epidemic is ruining our society. We all play with it a little but the youth need to back off. Being on social media all day is more imp to many of our youth than participating in sports or academic programs. 

Parents need to put their kids first. So often nowadays parents put themselfs before the kids. Parents need to be a role model for their kids, go to their sporting-band-school events. Parents need to set an example on how to act in public around others. 

Drugs, how in the hell can a country that is suppose to be so great allow the drug flow like it does. You can get whatever drug you want in every city in America. It's pretty damn sad this is the case as this destroys someone's life in majority of all of American families. We've got to put a stop to it. 

A big issue with all of this is our govt. everything is so fuxked up in govt that majority of issues will never be fixed. To much bs to list here. 

How do you fix these issues?

Well, I would make school priority at a lower age. Have to get to the kids early. Maybe implement a life course that's manadatory every year up thru high school to help influence kids to make good decisions.  Going to take years to see a difference in society at adult age. 

Got to get people jobs where they can earn a good living. Again, this falls in line with having a good work ethic and goals. 

I would also police the hell out of all areas. Make it harder to commit crimes. I know this wouldn't go over well but I could careless if there were cops in every block,  I'm not breaking the law and have nothing to hide. 

A big personal issue I see is a major loss of national pride. Where the hell is the pride at in our country and flag. We can all have difference in opinions and beliefs but without the same belief of country it will never be what it can. 

3 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

Agree, while America is great in many ways, we seem to have forgotten the basic fundamentals of what makes us great. Some may agree with some points I will make  but that's ok. 

First and foremost is the kids, we have got to do a better job raising kids with values and goals. I remember when I was a kid, neighbors would watch me daily as my mom worked 3 jobs to support my sister and I. All us neighborhood kids ate at each other's houses daily and where like family. Everyone helped each other at end of month when money was tight. We would borrow simple food items to help each other get by. Neighbors would beat my ass if I stepped out of line and then my mom would beat it again when she got home. I have 2  teenage kids at home so our house is where lot of kids hangout. Lot of them have little parental supervision. Some have no goals after high school. My wife and I try to talk to them about it without being overbearing and try to motivate them to go after a dream. 

The social media epidemic is ruining our society. We all play with it a little but the youth need to back off. Being on social media all day is more imp to many of our youth than participating in sports or academic programs. 

Parents need to put their kids first. So often nowadays parents put themselfs before the kids. Parents need to be a role model for their kids, go to their sporting-band-school events. Parents need to set an example on how to act in public around others. 

Drugs, how in the hell can a country that is suppose to be so great allow the drug flow like it does. You can get whatever drug you want in every city in America. It's pretty damn sad this is the case as this destroys someone's life in majority of all of American families. We've got to put a stop to it. 

A big issue with all of this is our govt. everything is so fuxked up in govt that majority of issues will never be fixed. To much bs to list here. 

How do you fix these issues?

Well, I would make school priority at a lower age. Have to get to the kids early. Maybe implement a life course that's manadatory every year up thru high school to help influence kids to make good decisions.  Going to take years to see a difference in society at adult age. 

Got to get people jobs where they can earn a good living. Again, this falls in line with having a good work ethic and goals. 

I would also police the hell out of all areas. Make it harder to commit crimes. I know this wouldn't go over well but I could careless if there were cops in every block,  I'm not breaking the law and have nothing to hide. 

A big personal issue I see is a major loss of national pride. Where the hell is the pride at in our country and flag. We can all have difference in opinions and beliefs but without the same belief of country it will never be what it can. 

Tough when babies are the ones having babies.

Again tough when schools are not safe or lack funding to teach.

People don't want to work now a days.

We are not a police state

3 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Tough when babies are the ones having babies.

Again tough when schools are not safe or lack funding to teach.

People don't want to work now a days.

We are not a police state

I agree but things need to change. Single parent and dual working parent households make it rough for kids to grow up with good values, work ethic,instincts and good decision making ability. It all starts at home. 

Just now, NorCalRuss said:

I agree but things need to change. Single parent and dual working parent households make it rough for kids to grow up with good values, work ethic,instincts and good decision making ability. It all starts at home. 

I agree, I am a single parent. However my sons mother was very involved as were others. I agree it all starts at home for sure but accountability is key. People have to hold themselves accountable. For every action there will be a reaction think things thru don't react.

Devil Dog and others,

A little background about the Gwinnett officers and their behavior is in order. 

First, Gwinnett has gone from a 90% white county in 1990 to a majority minority county with whites somewhere between 38-41% depending on who is saying.  There are large black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian, and middle Eastern populations within the county.  We go from areas of abject poverty to million dollar plus homes.  Our school system is also majority minority and has 178,000+ students.  10% of the State of Georgia K-12 students are in a Gwinnett School.  A majority of those students receive reduced cost or free breakfast/lunches.  There are gangs active at various levels in the community.  These encompass all ethnicities.  This is all said just as background.  The instance of the two officers is deplorable.  It now seems as though there was previous history between the officers and the suspect and that perhaps the first officer recognized him and acted based on that.  The DA is looking at charges now.  I've been pretty busy and haven't kept up but it is being taken very seriously and I won't be surprised if the two officers don't wind up in jail because of their actions.  I will say this type of behavior does not appear to be widespread in the police or sheriff's departments nor in the local city forces.  Many of the cities and the two county wide departments go to a lot of effort to be more approachable to their citizens.

I firmly believe we are better because of our diversity.  I do want people to be here legally and I believe assimilating into the American culture is important and can be done without abandoning your heritage.  I support law enforcement and believe they should be held accountable for their actions.  I also believe there are times when an officer has to make a split second decision or face being killed.  I had a discussion with one of the city officers where one of my business locations is located.  He said that they have training where an officer is holding a weapon ready on a suspect (training weapon, not live loads) and in 90%+ of time, the suspect is able to draw and shoot before the officer with the weapon drawn is able to process and fire.  This is in training situations where the officer is expecting the suspect to fire and STILL can't react fast enough.  Any time an officer fires his/her weapon is a bad day with no good outcome.  I agree that community activities an go a long way towards helping with respect but until parents instill that respect in their kids we won't see a ton of progress.

I also agree this discussion has been remarkably civilized.  At-a-boys to all!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Fred said:

For what it's worth, the two officers have now been charged with misdemeanor battery and felony abuse of office and have until Thursday at 5 to turn themselves in.

Where are you seeing this. Everything I read on it said the police dept and Chief said officers followed dept protocol and said officers did nothing wrong. 

4 hours ago, Fred said:

For what it's worth, the two officers have now been charged with misdemeanor battery and felony abuse of office and have until Thursday at 5 to turn themselves in.

Have not seen that. If so where is the video and claims to support that. Another incident?  Because the BWC footage shows nothing to support those claims?

1 hour ago, NorCalRuss said:

Where are you seeing this. Everything I read on it said the police dept and Chief said officers followed dept protocol and said officers did nothing wrong. 

NorcalRuss I believe Fred is talking about the 2 Ga Officer's on the video I posted and not the officer involved with the kids who were unarmed here. 

• Like 1

I thought they upped the one officer's charge to felony aggravated assault after a cell phone video surfaced of a gun in his hand when he was approaching the victim.

Anyway, we should all be pretty ecstatic over the officers being charged at all I guess. Usually we see "the officers in question are on paid administrative leave". Then the thing eventually disappears from the news after some new cockamamie tweet from the president or some Obama sighting.