USA Today: why is Southern Columbia (enrollment 405) ranked ahead of DeMatha, SJC, etc.?

I understand they are winning games by 70 points-University of Maryland did, too, before they played anybody.  But this school is one of the smallest (405 students noted on a recent link) https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/pennsylvania/districts/southern-columbia-area-sd/southern-columbia-high-school-17346  in the state of Pennsylvania.  Coed, 9th through 12th grade.  But you rank them ahead of DeMatha and a number of other major programs in your 9/30 regional rankings.  Are you serious?  MaxPreps ranks them: 191.

You are ranking this school #6 in the eastern United States.

I have followed you since your first poll when you ranked Moeller #1.  I have posted on various boards about your poll hundreds of times since the late ‘90’s.

I also drive by your building in Tysons almost every day.  I didn’t know Dave Krider and I don’t know your other writers or those who participate in your rankings.

But this is a serious joke.  You must be fighting for credibility with competition from MaxPreps, boards like this and countless other resources.

Whoever you hired to do your rankings is shooting you very badly in the foot. A 405 student 9th through 12th grade school you are ranking ahead of DeMatha, SJC, and a host of other prominent programs is ludicrous.

Do you really think they would beat SJC if they played?

Because they were up 69-0 over South Williamsport at halftime last weekend do you really believe that they would have led Mater Dei at halftime if they played?  (SJC did and are ranked below Southern Columbia).

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

I understand they are winning games by 70 points-University of Maryland did, too, before they played anybody.  But this school is one of the smallest (405 students noted on a recent link) in the state of Pennsylvania.  Coed, 9th through 12th grade.  But you rank them ahead of DeMatha and a number of other major programs in your 9/30 regional rankings.  Are you serious?  MaxPreps ranks them: 191.

I have followed you since your first poll when you ranked Moeller #1.  I have posted on various boards about your poll hundreds of times since the late ‘90’s.

I also drive by your building in Tysons almost every day.  I didn’t know Dave Krider and I don’t know your other writers or those who participate in your rankings.

But this is a serious joke.  You must be fighting for credibility with competition from MaxPreps, boards like this and countless other resources.

Whoever you hired to do your rankings is shooting you very badly in the foot. A 405 student 9th through 12th grade school you are ranking ahead of DeMatha, SJC

What are you talking about?

16 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Big Drop seems agitated. ..that's for sure.

It’s credibility:  whether ourselves or a news source or a blogger we fight to have someone believe our opinions.

I looked at USA Today’s rankings (and the composite rankings on here) and, curious, looked up the school they ranked 6th in the Eastern United States.  I couldn’t believe it’s enrollment.  Then I looked at who else they were playing:  other tiny schools.   Are they in Pennsylvania’s smallest class?  What could USA Today’s writer possibly have thought when they listed Southern Columbia #6 in the east?  I also wondered if Coatesville and Harrisburg had even heard of them?  This was not the second coming of Berwick who played national games.

It’s a tiny small coed Ed school in rural PA running roughshod over other small coed schools in rural PA.

For USA Today it is another matter.

Credibility is fleeting.

• Like 2

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/southern-columbia-area-tigers-(catawissa,pa)/football/schedule.htm

This is Southern Columbia’s schedule which includes the results of the games they have played.  They are a class 2a team (4a is the largest.).  Interestingly, MaxPreps ranks them #4 in the state of PA ahead of Pittsburgh Central Catholic, Pine Richland and a host of other major programs.

Could I be wrong?  Could they legitimately be one of the best in the East?  Does anybody know anything about them?  Does USA Today follow this board?

Could they really beat SJC?

• Thanks 1

I've heard the theory several times that USAToday tends to pick smaller market schools to fill in the lower ranks of their top 25 poll as sort of a guerilla marketing campaign that drums up controversy, or at least keeps them in them in the local/regional consciousness.

DeMatha goes 4-1 (losing to a top 5 team) and goes unranked while Bumpass Virginia goes 5-0 beating teams all ranked over 9,000 and gets slotted in at 25. People in the DMV are now talking about the injustice being carried out and people in Bumpass and the surrounding areas are now talking about the USAToday rankings. Now, flip the script: DeMatha gets ranked 23rd and Bumpass goes unranked. Seems plausible to me...

• Like 4
1 minute ago, dntn31 said:

I've heard the theory several times that USAToday tends to pick smaller market schools to fill in the lower ranks of their top 25 poll as sort of a guerilla marketing campaign that drums up controversy, or at least keeps them in them in the local/regional consciousness.

DeMatha goes 4-1 (losing to a top 5 team) and goes unranked while Bumpass Virginia goes 5-0 beating teams all ranked over 9,000 and gets slotted in at 25. People in the DMV are now talking about the injustice being carried out and people in Bumpass and the surrounding areas are now talking about the USAToday rankings. Now, flip the script: DeMatha gets ranked 23rd and Bumpass goes unranked. Seems plausible to me...

I'd agree that this is a likely theory. 

• Like 1

There’s an analogy here:  I have followed Mount Union, Ohio for perhaps 30 years.  Unbelievably successful program with multiple national championships. 95% winning percentage?

But I never thought of them in the same way as a major Division one school.

Of course it is entirely possible that Mount Union might be able to beat Rutgers this year😁.

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Does anybody know anything about them?

They played on ESPN this year.

Obviously they haven't done anything to deserve being in any national or regional rankings, but they are very good for a school that size--four players committed to Big Ten schools IIRC, including the #1 receiver in the country.

Speaking of suspect teams in the USA Today rankings, when is Highland Springs Rab gonna find his way over here?

https://virginiapreps.forums.rivals.com/search/281850/

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, BigDrop said:

I understand they are winning games by 70 points-University of Maryland did, too, before they played anybody.  But this school is one of the smallest (405 students noted on a recent link) https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/pennsylvania/districts/southern-columbia-area-sd/southern-columbia-high-school-17346  in the state of Pennsylvania.  Coed, 9th through 12th grade.  But you rank them ahead of DeMatha and a number of other major programs in your 9/30 regional rankings.  Are you serious?  MaxPreps ranks them: 191.

You are ranking this school #6 in the eastern United States.

Whoever you hired to do your rankings is shooting you very badly in the foot. A 405 student 9th through 12th grade school you are ranking ahead of DeMatha, SJC, and a host of other prominent programs is ludicrous.

Do you really think they would beat SJC if they played?

Because they were up 69-0 over South Williamsport at halftime last weekend do you really believe that they would have led Mater Dei at halftime if they played?  (SJC did and are ranked below Southern Columbia).

Remember how the Washington Post would rank Wise or Quince Orchard over Good Counsel, SJC, Gonzaga, or DM? Newspapers have taken a beating over the last two decades and they have to pander to a broad range. USAT is no different and you shouldn’t hold them to any standard. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BigDrop said:

There’s an analogy here:  I have followed Mount Union, Ohio for perhaps 30 years.  Unbelievably successful program with multiple national championships. 95% winning percentage?

But I never thought of them in the same way as a major Division one school.

Of course it is entirely possible that Mount Union might be able to beat Rutgers this year😁.

A reminder that MUs D3 success only started after Dayton upgraded to FCS ;) 

15 hours ago, BigDrop said:

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/southern-columbia-area-tigers-(catawissa,pa)/football/schedule.htm

This is Southern Columbia’s schedule which includes the results of the games they have played.  They are a class 2a team (4a is the largest.).  Interestingly, MaxPreps ranks them #4 in the state of PA ahead of Pittsburgh Central Catholic, Pine Richland and a host of other major programs.

Could I be wrong?  Could they legitimately be one of the best in the East?  Does anybody know anything about them?  Does USA Today follow this board?

PA has six classes w/ 6A being the largest.  

SCA overrated on national scale, would get killed playing big schools due to depth.  Their starting 11 are tough but after that its a big drop. 

USA Today that says it all.  SCA close to Berwick and close enough for those sports writers.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, BigDrop said:

maybe the best small school in the east this season but not overall all teams.  Overall ranking would be somewhere above 40 and that's being nice b/c I'm from PA.  They have talent but would get kill at higher levels on a regular basis.  

SJB 80  SCA 10  if you shut down their stud reciever they really dont have a second go-to guy.

18 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Another reason to point to for why The Tiers was created.  What you described above is just LAZY polls doin their thang

• Haha 1