Orange County Forums & Trinity League recruiting

Texasball

1 minute ago, Texasball said:

Yes - scheduling nightmare.  When one school schedules another down here that includes all the JV and freshman games and at smaller schools it includes the JR High teams too.

The HFC is responsible to the sub varsity teams the same as he is to the Varsity.

This is really big deal -  Did you know that when Westlake CA traveled to Aledo they brought 3 teams and played games against Aledo 9th grade and Aledo JV.

all 3 games ended in blowouts.  But hay man those kid got to travel across the country.

I suppose those of us in California, or more specifically MD in my case are more used to the varsity team travelling without Frosh/JV. Those teams typically just schedule a different local team. If taking lower levels is a condition for travel in Texas (or other states for that matter) I can see why that would be a non-starter. 

7 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Yes - scheduling nightmare.  When one school schedules another down here that includes all the JV and freshman games and at smaller schools it includes the JR High teams too.

This is among the lamest excuses I've ever heard for dodging OOS games.

Of course, I'm not surprised who it's coming from.

• Thumbs Down 1

7 minutes ago, Texasball said:

The HFC is responsible to the sub varsity teams the same as he is to the Varsity.

So instead of being a lazy schlep who just depends on scheduling local varsity games so he can cascade those down to the sub-varsity teams, the head coach will have to go through the indignity of scheduling one JV and one Frosh game.

Oh, the HORROR!

😱

• Thumbs Down 1

58 minutes ago, Moosington said:

I suppose those of us in California, or more specifically MD in my case are more used to the varsity team travelling without Frosh/JV. Those teams typically just schedule a different local team. If taking lower levels is a condition for travel in Texas (or other states for that matter) I can see why that would be a non-starter. 

I am just giving the facts.  It's not condition and Westlake CA is the only school that I have ever heard of that traveled like that anywhere.

The issue is simply finding games.  The other sub varsity teams in the area will be playing the same school that their varsity is playing.  Nobody wants to travel real far and spend extra money playing sub varsity games.

18 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

As far as the DV/SJC game goes, here’s how it went down:

We have Byron Dawson, the HC at Evangel Christian and PGL client, to thank. When DV hosted ECA in 2018 Coach Dawson mentioned Prep Gridiron Logistics to the DV staff. DV then contacted PGL regarding the 2019 OOS oppty. A few days later, SJC committed. 

For the 2020 oppty, the following three teams have shown the most interest and their intentions have been presented to DV: SFA, SJB and STA. SJC was paid a bit less than fair market value to visit this season. They made it known early on that the experience trumped the stipend amount. 

Will keep everyone posted on my 2020 progress. 

There you go...So which of the 3 are willing to travel for the least amount of money.  That's who will get the game with Duncanville IMO

My guess is we will see SFA in Duncanville.   Even though I would rather it be SJB as my first choice and STA as my 2nd Choice.

41 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

As far as the DV/SJC game goes, here’s how it went down:

We have Byron Dawson, the HC at Evangel Christian and PGL client, to thank. When DV hosted ECA in 2018 Coach Dawson mentioned Prep Gridiron Logistics to the DV staff. DV then contacted PGL regarding the 2019 OOS oppty. A few days later, SJC committed. 

For the 2020 oppty, the following three teams have shown the most interest and their intentions have been presented to DV: SFA, SJB and STA. SJC was paid a bit less than fair market value to visit this season. They made it known early on that the experience trumped the stipend amount. 

Will keep everyone posted on my 2020 progress. 

if SJC liked the experience maybe they can get Desoto next year.  Desoto should be ready to schedule out next year.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Texasball said:

There you go...So which of the 3 are willing to travel for the least amount of money.  That's who will get the game with Duncanville IMO

My guess is we will see SFA in Duncanville.   Even though I would rather it be SJB as my first choice and STA as my 2nd Choice.

This is where corporate sponsors come in handy! In the case of MD vs SJC which was part of the Geico Bowl series, ESPN gave MD $90,000. I have no clue if they offered MD more than other schools. In order to get a good matchup versus DV, I would think that a top team could get something similar from ESPN.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 2:49 PM, Bodysurf said:

This doesn’t apply to only transfers. It is equally applicable to kids starting as freshmen. The best kids in the area want to go to DLS. This is what I meant by success begets success.... kids want to play at a certain school, whether they are currently at a different high school or in the 8th grade.

I hear ya.  Just had to throw that in there.  

3 hours ago, The Guru said:

So instead of being a lazy schlep who just depends on scheduling local varsity games so he can cascade those down to the sub-varsity teams, the head coach will have to go through the indignity of scheduling one JV and one Frosh game.

Oh, the HORROR!

😱

If talking 6A/5A teams you are talking about multiple teams at each level.  Just more proof you don’t know come here from sic’em about Texas.

1 hour ago, Bodysurf said:

This is where corporate sponsors come in handy! In the case of MD vs SJC which was part of the Geico Bowl series, ESPN gave MD $90,000. I have no clue if they offered MD more than other schools. In order to get a good matchup versus DV, I would think that a top team could get something similar from ESPN.

I hope that works out and we get SJB.

8 minutes ago, Texasball said:

If talking 6A/5A teams you are talking about multiple teams at each level.  Just more proof you don’t know come here from sic’em about Texas.

Who gives a shit? Anybody who makes this argument is lame. Period.

I've seen a bigger bunch of pansies blaming JV and Frosh scheduling for avoiding OOS games.

• Thumbs Down 1

10 hours ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

I went to MD and live in Texas and have been to a few games out here and Honestly feel Texas’s best (6a quarter/semi-finals) is comparable to the Trinity league as a whole, but it’s regional and that’s not the same thing. I also believe playing in an Uber tough league (let alone playoffs) as well as scheduling multiple, tough OOS opponents hardens a team and also proves something. I can’t really comment on the ‘recruiting’ points except to say I think it happens at a lot of the top schools (perhaps here in TX too), but it’s a fair point that it is prevalent in the Trinity League. 

That said, here’s what I don’t understand and am hoping you (TX) can perhaps shed a little light:

1. What exactly is the rule prohibiting OOS travel and why was it created?

2. Why not accept “Home’ challenges from Top OOS CA schools? I’ve heard MD/Bosco both tried to schedule NS/DV and they declined

...Because, to the outside Homer and someone who actually went to MD and lives in Texas, the Whole TX > CA and especially at the mythica-natty-level, it just feels a little lacking in proof. And I’m not talking about Trinity/etc. in years past..I’m talking about here and now. 

id love to hear a solid argument how any of Texas’s top teams would beat MD/Bosco and the outcome wouldn’t be similar to what happened to the other recent top teams Nationally with long streaks which included a robust OOS sample size. 

1.  No rule that prevents Texas teams from traveling OOS.  Texas teams travel OOS all the time.  Just it's Louisiana, Oklahoma and States like that mostly.     It's the cost that is prohibiting because Texas is mostly a "Public School" State that is supported by local Tax payers via Property Tax mostly.    99.99% of Texas tax payers could give one sizzzch about playing OOS teams and the vast majority of them couldn't even tell you who Mater Dei, SJB, STA, DBP or anyone like that is and most don't care.

2. I don't know anything about "home and home" challenges but we hear those rumors all the time.  Again, it's been explained by a few people.  Texas Public Schools coaches have to consider many things when agreeing to things like OOS games (JV and Freshman Teams, Cost, etc).

3.  I haven't seen anyone saying that Duncanville, North Shore, Katy, SLC, Allen or whoever in Texas would beat Mater Dei or SJB.   But I think a lot of us look at these teams and see the level of athletes (Skill, speed, O-line, D-line, Lb, DB, special teams) and can see that it would be pretty decent games from year to year.

The biggest difference is Texas is Public Schools and works with the kids in their school zone.  Is there a kid here and there that is living with Aunt Sussy or Grandma.."Probably." ..But the Texas UIL keeps pretty tight control on athletes that suddenly show-up to other schools and there is many examples of that.  But it's nothing like what goes on out in California with Private School teams like Mater Dei and SJB.  It's a complete and utter joke that the CIF has completely caved-in and basically declared "Open Season" on transfers or Free-Agents and teams like Mater Dei and SJB take full advantage of it.

I know some on here will say.. Not sure if they recruit and I'll say it's a 100% certainty that they Recruit.    Do those kids (Football transfers) all pay the full-tuition at Mater Dei or SJB out of their families bank-account?     I'm willing to bet that right now there is 25 kids on Mater Dei football roster that don't pay hardly squat to attend that Private School.  They are on what people call... "ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP" and that's RECRUITING.

If the State of Texas UIL allowed the things that the CIF allows in California.   We would have 15 Private School teams around the State of Texas that would be loaded with FBS (power-5) prospects all over it's 2-Deep Roster each year and they would be beyond stupid good!

Look..  Teams like Mater Dei and St.Johns Bosco should be good!!   They are well coached  recruited up "Mercenary Teams" with some of the best talent around Southern California (Millions of people).   They should be GOOD!!