Orange County Forums & Trinity League recruiting

Texasball

3 minutes ago, Texasball said:

MD and the likes stopped carrying about kids

Some of these kids are likely leaving after one semester because (football is over and they truly can't handle the academic side)  All for the Mythical National Championship!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning or excusing this particular  example which I agree is particularly egregious. However, by claiming "MD stopped caring [sic] about the kids", you are making an unfounded assumption that this was primarily driven by the motivations of the school and not by the motivations of the kids (or their parents). Mater Dei did not break any rules in this example, as there was no evidence to suggest that these students were recruited by the school. For all we know, these kids (or their parents) gave every indication to the school that they "belonged there" and were striving to be "MD Kids". Unless you have some evidence to the contrary, you're in no position to make that claim.

48 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning or excusing this particular  example which I agree is particularly egregious. However, by claiming "MD stopped caring [sic] about the kids", you are making an unfounded assumption that this was primarily driven by the motivations of the school and not by the motivations of the kids (or their parents). Mater Dei did not break any rules in this example, as there was no evidence to suggest that these students were recruited by the school. For all we know, these kids (or their parents) gave every indication to the school that they "belonged there" and were striving to be "MD Kids". Unless you have some evidence to the contrary, you're in no position to make that claim.

I do believe there are kids that go to all these schools in questions on their own...They already had good teams before they really seriously made recruiting priority.

Now that the recruiting bus has been started kids and families start figuring out - If I am really good they will give me scholarship/Financial Aide.  It's all part of the recruitment/enticing of players to leave other programs that spent time developing them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texasball said:

This is what get's me the most...This is really my opinion -  MD and the likes stopped carrying about kids!  4 year do it right kids who many would have been solid HS players have been thrown to the curb like trash - For recruited athletes that could give two shits about MD or schools like them. Some of these kids are likely leaving after one semester because (football is over and they truly can't handle the academic side)  All for the Mythical National Championship!   The one dude on Orange County Forums said it best, "They didn't belong here and they are not MD kids."

It's really shame and many of their Alumni just sit back and turn blind eye to it...Yet, we can see in the Orange County Forums some do not.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and being a coach myself I understand what you are saying. The one issue though with this comment is that you are quoting the equivalent of Rab and Block's love child. If you want to take the word of others on that forum so be it, just don't take the words of that poster because you instantly lose creditbility.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 5:51 PM, LT4Spartan06 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and being a coach myself I understand what you are saying. The one issue though with this comment is that you are quoting the equivalent of Rab and Block's love child. If you want to take the word of others on that forum so be it, just don't take the words of that poster because you instantly lose creditbility.

Maybe you can answer few questions?  

Above you say “I understand what you are saying”  can you give us your thoughts on that subject?  

What is your honest opinion concerning recruiting in California? 

Are programs recruiting?

Do you coach at DLS?  I don’t really view DLS as recruited up team.  I actually see well coached kids who many times play above their natural abilities.  Your thoughts on DLS vs schools like SJB and MD —What are the main differences in these 3 programs today?

These dudes from from the California Southern Section trying to defend what everyone around the country clearly see's and knows..    Plus, you can only read about 1,000 articles about it too.

In 2017 the CIF  (California Sports Gov Body) threw in the White Flag and surrendered.  They basically said... "It's open season and go get whatever kids you want because we're tired of fighting law-suits over and over."

Ironically... many of the lawsuits were coming from one school...   You guess it... MATER DEI!!!

So kids in California (especially the extremely populated LA area) are traveling from one end of LA to the other to attend so and so school.

Teams like Mater Dei and St.John's Bosco have taken full advantage of this CIF Policy change from 2017.

Next big question which you never hear the Mater Dei or SJB people wanting to touch with a 100 foot pole?

Are many of those kids on those teams (Especially the big prospects) paying the full Private School tuition from their own family bank account?..... Or is there some financial aid package (School Aid, Alum Sugar Daddy, Ect) so these kids are attend Mater Dei/ SJB without paying the almost $20,000 annual tuition.

Financial Aid =  Athletic Scholarship = Recruiting .... TOO!

6 hours ago, Ararar said:

When this particular poster says this he is talking about the color of their skin and nothing to do with transferring 

You are exactly right. Domingo is an embarrassment and doesn’t speak for the MD program, fans, or alumni. In DC a couple weeks I had some very enlightening conversations with the parents of these ‘recruited’ kids that people like to label here and the ones that Domingo despises. He is clueless as are some of the uniformed posters here in this thread.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 9:08 PM, Texasball said:

Maybe you can answer few questions?  

Above you say “I understand what you are saying”  can you give us your thoughts on that subject?  

What is your honest opinion concerning recruiting in California? 

Are programs recruiting?

Do you coach at DLS?  I don’t really view DLS as recruited up team.  I actually see well coached kids who many times play above their natural abilities.  Your thoughts on DLS vs schools like SJB and MD —What are the main differences in these 3 programs today?

1. I understand what you are saying when you mentioned how it is unfair to the 4 year kids that have been told to stay and work in the system and one day their opportunity will come. I also understand a parent's right to send their kids to whatever school they feel will give their child the best chance to shine brightest. There is no black and white to this situation, we are stuck in between two different valid desires: the desire to have your child succeed, and the desire to ingrain certain moral characteristics such as commitment and the determination to overcome obstacles.

2. I can agree with the people who believe that transfers have gotten out of hand, but the divide for me is the word "recruiting" . I lean more towards the side that feels kids are attracted to winning programs. Does that make it right to transfer, maybe not however i just cannot come around to the idea that coaches are sitting at pop warner/junior high games or rival high school games handpicking future talent. Call me naive but i just do not see it. Now, have certain programs cultivated a culture of winning at all costs more than others? Perhaps, but again the word recruiting is not something I can get behind. Does it look weird that certain teams have found a way to replace needed positions with transfers... yes it does. Is this due to recruiting, no. This is most likely due to the culture set up by some schools that have promoted the idea of if you are good enough we will take you. Any player with half a brain does not need to be recruited to these schools. They know who is graduating, they know who is next in line, so if you play QB and you know the area team that is always on TV and winning games will welcome you with open arms, then there is no need to "recruit". 

Again, I can be completely wrong but I like to think that there is still a line that coaches and schools do not cross. I also believe that some of these schools can do a lot better at living up to their own standards. For example the 2 that transferred from their school after the season last year. Do I think the coaches concocted this plan from the start, no I do not. I do believe their complacency and lack of due diligence implicitly allowed for it to happen however. 

I graduated from DLS in 2006. I am not a Football coach, I actually coach water polo at Pittsburg High School. I actually find myself having these conversations regarding "recruiting" with some of my players because they know I went to De La. It is mind blowing the mental prison some of my players lock themselves in regarding social status due to where they go to school. It is a humbling experience growing up on winning teams all the way through College, and now coaching at a school that up until last year did not even know what water polo was. I find myself more aware of the built in advantages private schools and schools with open enrollment have when it comes to athletics. 

I enjoy these conversations on this forum, even the silly back and forth with some posters. We just need to keep everything in perspective and understand that everyone is just trying to do their best. We will all have differing opinions and it does not make one side right or wrong. Hope this answered your questions.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

You are exactly right. Domingo is an embarrassment and doesn’t speak for the MD program, fans, or alumni. In DC a couple weeks I had some very enlightening conversations with the parents of these ‘recruited’ kids that people like to label here and the ones that Domingo despises. He is clueless as are some of the uniformed posters here in this thread.

I have been a registered member there since 2007, this poster is the reason nobody post on that site anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LT4Spartan06 said:

1. I understand what you are saying when you mentioned how it is unfair to the 4 year kids that have been told to stay and work in the system and one day their opportunity will come. I also understand a parent's right to send their kids to whatever school they feel will give their child the best chance to shine brightest. There is no black and white to this situation, we are stuck in between two different valid desires: the desire to have your child succeed, and the desire to ingrain certain moral characteristics such as commitment and the determination to overcome obstacles.

2. I can agree with the people who believe that transfers have gotten out of hand, but the divide for me is the word "recruiting" . I lean more towards the side that feels kids are attracted to winning programs. Does that make it right to transfer, maybe not however i just cannot come around to the idea that coaches are sitting at pop warner/junior high games or rival high school games handpicking future talent. Call me naive but i just do not see it. Now, have certain programs cultivated a culture of winning at all costs more than others? Perhaps, but again the word recruiting is not something I can get behind. Does it look weird that certain teams have found a way to replace needed positions with transfers... yes it does. Is this due to recruiting, no. This is most likely due to the culture set up by some schools that have promoted the idea of if you are good enough we will take you. Any player with half a brain does not need to be recruited to these schools. They know who is graduating, they know who is next in line, so if you play QB and you know the area team that is always on TV and winning games will welcome you with open arms, then there is no need to "recruit". 

Again, I can be completely wrong but I like to think that there is still a line that coaches and schools do not cross. I also believe that some of these schools can do a lot better at living up to their own standards. For example the 2 that transferred from their school after the season last year. Do I think the coaches concocted this plan from the start, no I do not. I do believe their complacency and lack of due diligence implicitly allowed for it to happen however. 

I graduated from DLS in 2006. I am not a Football coach, I actually coach water polo at Pittsburg High School. I actually find myself having these conversations regarding "recruiting" with some of my players because they know I went to De La. It is mind blowing the mental prison some of my players lock themselves in regarding social status due to where they go to school. It is a humbling experience growing up on winning teams all the way through College, and now coaching at a school that up until last year did not even know what water polo was. I find myself more aware of the built in advantages private schools and schools with open enrollment have when it comes to athletics. 

I enjoy these conversations on this forum, even the silly back and forth with some posters. We just need to keep everything in perspective and understand that everyone is just trying to do their best. We will all have differing opinions and it does not make one side right or wrong. Hope this answered your questions.

LB-DJ Williams didn't pay the full-tuition out of his families personal bank-account to attend DLS.  He came from a poor family.

Somebody at DLS (Alum,  DLS Sugar Daddy, or some other financial Aid) was put to use to get DJ Williams at DLS.

Financial Aid = Athletic Scholarship= Recruiting.

45 minutes ago, Texasfrog said:

LB-DJ Williams didn't pay the full-tuition out of his families personal bank-account to attend DLS.  He came from a poor family.

Somebody at DLS (Alum,  DLS Sugar Daddy, or some other financial Aid) was put to use to get DJ Williams at DLS.

Financial Aid is done through a double blind process at DLS and I am sure it is done the same way at many other Parochials across the country. When I attended, 02-06, more than half the student body was on some type of financial aid. No one at the school, not administrators and definitely not coaches have any say in who receives aid. Also, if you are granted financial aid it is not "free" money. Students on financial aid are required to complete extra school sanctioned community service hours and they had to work on campus at lunch whether that be the cafeteria, maintenance or in the library.

Before you call me naive, understand I am simply stating the facts as it pertains to financial aid at DLS. Whether you choose to move on or continue talking about something you don't understand is up to you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LT4Spartan06 said:

58 minutes ago, Texasfrog said:

Also, your math is a little off...

1 hour ago, LT4Spartan06 said:

Also, your math is a little off...

Everything he says is off. At MD my classmates that played no sports and did zero extracurricular’s still received financial aid because their family could not afford to send their kid to school. Many kids worked in the cafeteria or were required to put in hours to benefit the school, like yearbook or whatever else. Very few pay full price regardless if you play sports or not. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LT4Spartan06 said:

I appreciate your honest opinion.  

Please expand on "I find myself more aware of the built in advantages private schools and schools with open enrollment have when it comes to athletics."

Open enrollment in Texas can help teams...However, it doesn't mean kid can transfer and automatically play.   We had 3 cases like that this year at Dallas Skyline who is open enrollment school.