Touchdown or No Touchdown?!? CRAZY ending!

ATLien12x

Damn. I fell asleep at the beginning of the 4th. 

Hillgrove was robbed... Shouldve ended 20-19. I said something about home cooking earlier although it didnt end up mattering at the time. Hillgrove threw a TD and had it called back, not sure what the penalty was, luckily they threw another the very next play.

Hillgrove also missed a 29 yard FG earlier. Had they made that, all they wouldve needed was another FG to win, alas, not to be.

Cant argue that was a TD though. Sucks for Hillgrove.

12 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

This makes it extremely clear that its a TD 

There is no excuse for the ref here. The ball hit the pylon, inside of the pylon at that, and the QB was flying head first so clearly no part of him touched the ground before the ball crossed over. His hand is the only thing questionable and that didnt touch the ground until WELL after almost his entire body was past the pylon. 

Bang bang or no. This call is really suspicious.

• Like 2

This brings up a whole other supposed rule that bothers me... the whole pylon thing in the first place.  Why should the ball have to cross the line in-between the pylons at all?

Explanation:  If a QB is running towards the sideline and throws a pass just before he steps out with an arm angle that takes the ball "out-of-bounds" and a receiver catches it leaning out-of-bounds, that's still a catch

One of the greatest Super Bowl catches ever made was with the ball out-of-bounds.

image.png.1c610baf7f54189ea674bcece698abeb.png

A player is not out-of-bounds until he steps out-of-bounds.  Similarly, a ball should not be out-of-bounds until it lands out-of-bounds.

The only time I think this supposed rule should exist is for punts to keep from having a punter boom one into the stands.

EDIT:  Double-checked the rule.  The issue with the score in this Georgia game is the fact that the player was airborne.  I still see runners move the ball in-bounds as they cross the goal line.  Apparently, that is not actually required.

The only issue for me is the placement of his other hand, which we can't see clearly.  If it doesn't touch the ground, all the ball has to do is touch the pylon (does not even have to cross it).  If his hand was still elevated, this should have been a score.

image.png.ef968e766264ed2d14b9af426a2e5184.png

• Thanks 2