Why Lazy polls get it wrong

Sammyswordsman

In replying to another thread, I succinctly described why the advent of Super teams has wrecked the traditional model of ranking of teams as has been done for 50 + years.

old timer pollsters like @whiteshoes and @Omaha Vol have problems understanding the increasing massive differentiations on skill levels among high school teams. 

They see a linear progression up or down, when in reality there are giant gaps between teams,
Another way to look at it is most pollsters put teams on stair steps from step 1 to step 100 with an equal  distance between steps

In 2013 + A more accurate model would be putting 5 teams on different steps of a ladder on the first floor of a sky scraper, then Taking the elevator up to the second floor, where there is another ladder to put a few teams on, then taking the elevator up to the third floor etc. 

I am coming to the conclusion that @Omaha Vol and @whiteshoes are not lazy, they are just ignorant of the present landscape, and are unwitting prisoners of an obsolete ranking model.

• Haha 1

It’s not cut and dry as you see it...

It’s good theory...However, it is also lazy to automatically believe that there is abundant of super teams - In this case you are personally talking about what I call recruited private schools...Right?

The problem is there is only few of them this year  that should be considered exceptional.  

8 minutes ago, Texasball said:

It’s not cut and dry as you see it...

It’s good theory...However, it is also lazy to automatically believe that there is abundant of super teams - In this case you are personally talking about what I call recruited private schools...Right?

The problem is there is only few of them this year  that should be considered exceptional.  

The Super team phenomena also forces teams (say team b) that want to compete with the Super teams, to do "things" to get better as well. 

While these "things" may not make (team b) into Super teams, these "things" will expand the gap between (Team b) and teams (C and D) which don't interact with Super teams.

24 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The Super team phenomena also forces teams (say team b) that want to compete with the Super teams, to do "things" to get better as well. 

While these "things" may not make (team b) into Super teams, these "things" will expand the gap between (Team b) and teams (C and D) which don't interact with Super teams.

That just smells of theory that has not been proven.

My eyes tell me that it has not helped anyone not named MD or SJB in California 

Regardless of rankings IMG is not better this year.

nothing that special coming from the East -  SFA is the best

Just now, Texasball said:

That just smells of theory that has not been proven.

My eyes tell me that it has not helped anyone not named MD or SJB in California 

Regardless of rankings IMG is not better this year.

nothing that special coming from the East -  SFA is the best

I think Texas also benefits from the Super team phenomena.  Probably going back further than 2013, as the pressure to do well in the very High profile sport of Texas HS Football. 

The same pressure for teams now competing with Super teams, is what polished Texas football over the years to become the #1 state with the most depth in HS Football.

Alot of teams that compete with the Super teams have got better since 2013.  You won't see the results when they play Super teams, but you will see the results when they play OOS teams that don't swim in the same pool as Super teams.  Good example is DeMatha and Iggy.  or JSerra vs. Milton. 

Agree that IMG was better last year.

9 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I think Texas also benefits from the Super team phenomena.  Probably going back further than 2013, as the pressure to do well in the very High profile sport of Texas HS Football. 

The same pressure for teams now competing with Super teams, is what polished Texas football over the years to become the #1 state with the most depth in HS Football.

Alot of teams that compete with the Super teams have got better since 2013.  You won't see the results when they play Super teams, but you will see the results when they play OOS teams that don't swim in the same pool as Super teams.  Good example is DeMatha and Iggy.  or JSerra vs. Milton. 

Agree that IMG was better last year.

Texas has had great depth through out history.

2 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Never said that.   I said Texas had great depth through out history.

Still doesn't make sense. 

I would agree that over the years, Texas societies tremendous emphasis on HS football incubated an accelerated development among their HS programs that produced great depth  throughout the state.  Much more so than any other state. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Still doesn't make sense. 

I would agree that over the years, Texas societies tremendous emphasis on HS football incubated an accelerated development among their HS programs that produced great depth  throughout the state.  Much more so than any other state. 

It’s simple statement.  Texas has had quality depth for long time.

5 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Watching Servite and JSerra  last night they don’t look any better than they have ever been.  In fact I believe Servite has had better teams.  Prior to MD being like they have been the last few years.

its pretty obvious that SJB played down to the level of Servite last week

Thoughts on Servite?

Last year Servite rehired their State Championship coach from 2005-2012.  He brought in an outstanding freshman class last year.

Now those kids are sophs playing varsity.  Servite is an ascending program.

What you watched was a sophomore laden Servite team playing the #1 team in the Country. 

My takeaway is that despite being out manned and  outgunned, Servite never quit, and refused to "bend the knee".

Without predicting who would actually win these games.

I think the true Texas Top Ten could battle competitive against the nation top 10

This why Texas and others have true disconnect...In our eyes you guys choose not to see this or even consider this...You Guys believe we are delusional .

In my opinion there is no sure wins for anyone in this regard if all teams are playing at full strength.

1 minute ago, Texasball said:

Without predicting who would actually win these games.

I think the true Texas Top Ten could battle competitive against the nation top 10

This why Texas and others have true disconnect...In our eyes you guys choose not to see this or even consider this...You Guys believe we are delusional .

In my opinion there is no sure wins for anyone in this regard if all teams are playing at full strength.

No doubt the (4) 6a Semi finalists can compete successfully vs. the National Top 10.  I had both Duncanville and Northshore in Tier 1 easily last year, and preseason this year.

It would be great to see more games involving the Top Texas teams and Top National teams.   I agree that Texas will hold their own, as evidenced by this years SJC game and DLS game of yore.

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Last year Servite rehired their State Championship coach from 2005-2012.  He brought in an outstanding freshman class last year.

Now those kids are sophs playing varsity.  Servite is an ascending program.

What you watched was a sophomore laden Servite team playing the #1 team in the Country. 

My takeaway is that despite being out manned and  outgunned, Servite never quit, and refused to "bend the knee".

Side note...I honestly believe DV for one would have success against MD defense.  They are not playing well rounded offensive teams.

DV has it all...RB run game,  RB/QB run game, QB run game - there is difference in the three!

Passing game that executes in all areas with athletes who can flat run.

1 minute ago, Texasball said:

Side note...I honestly believe DV for one would have success against MD defense.  They are not playing well rounded offensive teams.

DV has it all...RB run game,  RB/QB run game, QB run game - there is difference in the three!

Passing game that executes in all areas with athletes who can flat run.

Agree to a point.  DV could prolly put up 28 points on MD.

MD would put up 40+ on DV though.

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

DV defense is no where as talented as SFA’s though.  

At least according to the recruiting services

Individual talent doesn’t always equate to immediate success. Although, combine a talented coaching squad with a disciplined group who has bought in and you have a dangerous team on your hands. Mater Dei is a perfect example but so is this current Duncanville team.

1 minute ago, SeaShells21 said:

Individual talent doesn’t always equate to immediate success. Although, combine a talented coaching squad with a disciplined group who has bought in and you have a dangerous team on your hands. Mater Dei is a perfect example but so is this current Duncanville team.

I get it.  The gutty little DV team overcomes by coaching