Week 7 Tiers

Sammyswordsman

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, SFA, IMG, Duncanville*, STA*,

Tier 2 – Katy, DeMatha, DLS, North Shore*, Bishop Gorman, Longview, Southlake Carroll, St. Louis (Hi). Lowndes

Tier 3 - Colquitt, Grayson, Allen, Gonzaga*, Chandler, Northwestern, SJC, North Gwinett, Punahu, OLGC, Marietta*, SJP*, Miami Central, Lakeland*,

Tier 4 -  Catholic -BR*, Valdosta, Cen10, Mission Viejo, Guyer,  Westlake , McEachern, Lake Travis, Servite*, West Monroe*, Lincoln Way East, Hoover, SJR

Tier 5 -  Buford, JSerra, Centennial AZ, East St. Louis, Dutch Fork, Mallard Creek, John Curtis, Narbonne*, Saguaro* , Cathedral Catholic, Helix, Corner Canyon (UT), St. X, Colerain, Elder, St. Eds, Mentor, Iggy, Hoban

Tier 6 - DBP, Trinity (Ky), Aledo, Folsom*, Male, Byrnes, Columbia, Bergen Catholic, SPP,  

*- Indicates teams on probation for their Tier.

*Requests to add your team will be honored.  But must be Tier 6 or above to be placed on a Tier.

Below is an explanation of the Methodolgy used to place the teams on various Tiers.  The Tier concept recognizes that W/L records are a function of quality of opponent, and as such, RELEVANCY of opponent MUST be factored in.  The Tiers recognizes that in some cases, a 10-0 team (ranked in Top 100 by some outlets) could get blown off the field by a 5-5 (unranked) team that played a tougher schedule.  This is why the Tiers was created.

*Not attempting to rank every team, only the ones we discuss on this site.

*Teams are ranked appropriately for that week in the season.  Teams can improve and regress comparatively.

* The Tiers are fluid and subject to extreme fluctuations early in the year, leveling out as the year progresses.

*Tier placements consider a teams entire body of work, however are weighted heaviest on recent games and game weights decrease in significance in reverse order.  In other words, early road OOS losses to relevant teams can be overcome as the season progresses.

*Teams placed on the same Tier can compete with other same Tier teams and possibly win 2+ of 10. 

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from a TD to 3 scores depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team.

*The Tiers will ultimately be made up of (16) teams per Tier that would form competitive playoff brackets.

*Texas teams generally have not played enough OOS games to gauge properly #crapshoot.  There must be a daisy chain OOS connection for a reference point.  Teams with no OOS daisy chain connection may not be placed on a Tier.  (Texas exempt)

*Tiers are based on exhaustive research, Multiple games watched, and good gut feelings.

*This is a crowd sourced rating. All input will be considered and adjustments will be made as appropriate

• Haha 1

The Tiers saw some settling as Tier 1 remained unchanged.  In Tier 2, Lowndes is close to being promoted, but we will wait a few weeks for the game vs Colquitt in week 10 to see how those teams shake out.

Watched some video on the Ohio teams, which looked not quite as athletic as what we are used to seeing.  Hoover got moved up as did Lincoln Way East, as they showed more size and speed on defense and better offenses than the Ohio teams.

McEachern got moved down due to the should have been loss.

The Utah teams are dropping as Lone Peak lost bad, which pulled down Corner Canyon as well.

Texas teams Lake Travis and Westlake looked pretty good on film, and are promotion candidates.

Servite dropped a tier and will get a good vetting vs. JSerra this week in a game that will answer alot of questions nationally, and could be a boon for the BNU were JSerra to roll.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The Tiers saw some settling as Tier 1 remained unchanged.  In Tier 2, Lowndes is close to being promoted, but we will wait a few weeks for the game vs Colquitt in week 10 to see how those teams shake out.

Watched some video on the Ohio teams, which looked not quite as athletic as what we are used to seeing.  Hoover got moved up as did Lincoln Way East, as they showed more size and speed on defense and better offenses than the Ohio teams.

McEachern got moved down due to the should have been loss.

The Utah teams are dropping as Lone Peak lost bad, which pulled down Corner Canyon as well.

Texas teams Lake Travis and Westlake looked pretty good on film, and are promotion candidates.

Servite dropped a tier and will get a good vetting vs. JSerra this week in a game that will answer alot of questions nationally, and could be a boon for the BNU were JSerra to roll.

Ouch! Sammy, your tiers are falling apart. 

I can live with tier 1. All the recruited up schools plus Duncanville. 

McEachern/Hillgrove is a rivalry game that can go either way every year. I wouldn't knock them too harshly for that game.

Corner Canyon is miles ahead of everyone else in Utah. There is a 6-8 team cluster below them that you could almost rank in any order you want. I think you're being naive again and daisy chaining there. 

You talk about Lake Travis and Westlake, but fail to mention Martin or Rockwall. Hell, what about DeSoto, Guyer, Lone Star, CHill, Highland Park? 

Lakeland tier 3 and SJR tier 4???  Come on, man! 

• Like 2

Couple of upsets that may have been missed by some... 

Miami Edison beat Carol City 7-6.  Uncle Luke with a big W.  Not sure what’s the deal with CC, but that’s not a good look.  They’ve got South Dade next.  

O’Dea soundly beat Eastside Catholic 28-6. O’Dea is a WA power, but EC had a top 25 national ranking.  The score differential in this one was as much of a surprise to me as Edison beating Carol City.  

44 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Nobody excuses or ignores close games more than that clown.

He thinks sammy's tiers are "falling apart" but he can "live" with one of the most questionable decisions: leaving Duncanville at tier 1.

The fact that you don’t see Duncanville as a power makes you the clown. I’m not surprised, though. 

• Like 1

Sammy...I will have a blistering commentary later this evening.  But right now...I'm in recovery mode from yesterday.  Coach Boom and his Banty Roosters put a solid hurting on us...and it ain't directly washing off.

I spoke to Lewis Grizzard last night...and even he is "sorely ashamed".  It all goes back to what "Doc" told me a long time ago....

"Rufus, never trust anybody from South Carolina".

NEVER !!!!!

Rufus>>

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tier 2 – Katy, DeMatha, DLS, North Shore*, Bishop Gorman, Longview, Southlake Carroll, St. Louis (Hi). Lowndes

Tier 3 - Colquitt, Grayson, Allen, Gonzaga*, Chandler, Northwestern, SJC, North Gwinett, Punahu, OLGC, Marietta*, SJP*, Miami Central, Lakeland*,

Tier 4 -  Catholic -BR*, Valdosta, Cen10, Mission Viejo, Guyer,  Westlake , McEachern, Lake Travis, Servite*, West Monroe*, Lincoln Way East, Hoover, SJR

Tier 5 -  Buford, JSerra, Centennial AZ, East St. Louis, Dutch Fork, Mallard Creek, John Curtis, Narbonne*, Saguaro* , Cathedral Catholic, Helix, Corner Canyon (UT), St. X, Colerain, Elder, St. Eds, Mentor, Iggy, Hoban

Tier 6 - DBP, Trinity (Ky), Aledo, Folsom*, Male, Byrnes, Columbia, Bergen Catholic, SPP,  

*Requests to add your team will be honored.  But must be Tier 6 or above to be placed on a Tier.

Please enlighten the board how in the world is Longview and Bishop Gorman are Tier 2 teams lmao 

8 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Below is an explanation of the Methodolgy used to place the teams on various Tiers.  The Tier concept recognizes that W/L records are a function of quality of opponent, and as such, RELEVANCY of opponent MUST be factored in.  The Tiers recognizes that in some cases, a 10-0 team (ranked in Top 100 by some outlets) could get blown off the field by a 5-5 (unranked) team that played a tougher schedule.  This is why the Tiers was created.

*Not attempting to rank every team, only the ones we discuss on this site.

*Teams are ranked appropriately for that week in the season.  Teams can improve and regress comparatively.

* The Tiers are fluid and subject to extreme fluctuations early in the year, leveling out as the year progresses.

*Tier placements consider a teams entire body of work, however are weighted heaviest on recent games and game weights decrease in significance in reverse order.  In other words, early road OOS losses to relevant teams can be overcome as the season progresses.

*Teams placed on the same Tier can compete with other same Tier teams and possibly win 2+ of 10. 

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from a TD to 3 scores depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team.

*The Tiers will ultimately be made up of (16) teams per Tier that would form competitive playoff brackets.

*Texas teams generally have not played enough OOS games to gauge properly #crapshoot.  There must be a daisy chain OOS connection for a reference point.  Teams with no OOS daisy chain connection may not be placed on a Tier.  (Texas exempt)

*Tiers are based on exhaustive research, Multiple games watched, and good gut feelings.

*This is a crowd sourced rating. All input will be considered and adjustments will be made as appropriate

Not only is it lazy to push Allen in the 3rd Tier it’s irresponsible.  

Exhaustive research you claim makes you liar 🤥 as well.

8 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Ouch! Sammy, your tiers are falling apart. 

I can live with tier 1. All the recruited up schools plus Duncanville. 

McEachern/Hillgrove is a rivalry game that can go either way every year. I wouldn't knock them too harshly for that game.

Corner Canyon is miles ahead of everyone else in Utah. There is a 6-8 team cluster below them that you could almost rank in any order you want. I think you're being naive again and daisy chaining there. 

You talk about Lake Travis and Westlake, but fail to mention Martin or Rockwall. Hell, what about DeSoto, Guyer, Lone Star, CHill, Highland Park? 

Lakeland tier 3 and SJR tier 4???  Come on, man! 

Speaking of Desoto...Again very lazy research not to have this team well into the tiers by now.

Proving again that this tier ranking system is 100% bogus - Trash!

54 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Please enlighten the board how in the world is Longview and Bishop Gorman are Tier 2 teams lmao 

Good points.  Will look closer at these two this week.  There is an argument for moving The Bishop to Tier 3.

Longview will get a close look this week.   We will see what the Texas guys thing about them 

9 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Speaking of Desoto...Again very lazy research not to have this team well into the tiers by now.

Proving again that this tier ranking system is 100% bogus - Trash!

The Tiers do not attempt to place “every team”.  Only the teams that guys request or we discuss on the site.  If you would like to see Desoto placed on The Tiers just make the request 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The Tiers do not attempt to place “every team”.  Only the teams that guys request it we discuss on the site.  If you would like to see Desoto placed on The Tiers just make the request 

That’s stupid concept in itself-  this is even more bogus than I thought!

like half of these bogus teams have even been discussed 🤷‍♂️

Lakeland certainly deserves probation after the lifeless performance Friday. The team that took the field and played as they did Friday is not a nationally elite team. (Of course, the team that took the field Friday didn't have Demarkcus Bowman, two starting linebackers, and played several other starters sparingly. And the opponent did not play to win, only to run the clock and not turn the ball over. Mix in 3-4 TDs called back and meh). The offense had more rhythm earlier in the season with Mason Martin at QB. Garnett has more physical tools. But, if they don't put it all together (and keep Martin on the bench) they won't beat Armwood in the 3rd round. If they do put it all together, the possibility still exists that this will be their best ever team. I will concede the schedule, with all of these lame opponents, has gotten really old. Probably to the players as much as to me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Lakeland certainly deserves probation after the lifeless performance Friday. The team that took the field and played as they did Friday is not a nationally elite team. (Of course, the team that took the field Friday didn't have Demarkcus Bowman, two starting linebackers, and played several other starters sparingly. And the opponent did not play to win, only to run the clock and not turn the ball over. Mix in 3-4 TDs called back and meh). The offense had more rhythm earlier in the season with Mason Martin at QB. Garnett has more physical tools. But, if they don't put it all together (and keep Martin on the bench) they won't beat Armwood in the 3rd round. If they do put it all together, the possibility still exists that this will be their best ever team. I will concede the schedule, with all of these lame opponents, has gotten really old. Probably to the players as much as to me.

Yep.  I watched film on that game and Lakeland was not executing like we have seen other Top National teams.  The schedule probably is a bore for the players, and makes for lack luster practice weeks, which get reflected in games.  Lakeland did not look crisp like a Top team should at this time of the year. 

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Couple of upsets that may have been missed by some... 

Miami Edison beat Carol City 7-6.  Uncle Luke with a big W.  Not sure what’s the deal with CC, but that’s not a good look.  They’ve got South Dade next.  

O’Dea soundly beat Eastside Catholic 28-6. O’Dea is a WA power, but EC had a top 25 national ranking.  The score differential in this one was as much of a surprise to me as Edison beating Carol City.  

Carol City can't beat anyone this year.  Their continued losses are a drag on the supposedly good teams that beat them.

O'Dea win was a good one.  We don't have any Washington in The Tiers because no one cares about them, and they don't play relevant OOS this year.

3 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

.....but blew out the same team that beat Lone Peak 56-22 (Skyridge). 

Corner Canyon is good for their pool of opponents.  They would win Ohio I think, but play too slow to be considered for Tier 3.  They would get rolled by those teams.  Tier 4 is in flux, so maybe they get moved up to Tier 4.  Utah seems to have alot of Parity, and the top4 or so teams may be on the level of the BNU.

17 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Yep.  I watched film on that game and Lakeland was not executing like we have seen other Top National teams.  The schedule probably is a bore for the players, and makes for lack luster practice weeks, which get reflected in games.  Lakeland did not look crisp like a Top team should at this time of the year. 

Very ugly, lifeless game. I wish there wasn't tape available on that one! 

They've had ugly games like that every single season, though. I'm not reading a ton into yet.

• Like 1