NFL draft hypothetical

Adam Kurkjian

Just now, steeler01 said:

Tua isn't an NFL QB

😂😂😂 But let me guess Herbert that lost to a true freshman at a neutral site is an nfl qb? Better yet answer this, the baker mayfield that lost to true freshman Jake Fromm is? Are you the guy that thinks jalen hurts is more pro ready than tua? haha Funny stuff here. Tua’s progressions are much improved from last year as is his accuracy and if the best quarterback in the sec isn’t nfl caliber than nobody is. Joe burrow more of an nfl fit than tua? 😭😂

13 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Tua isn't an NFL QB

Just like Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Jackson weren’t? NFL dogma is that a QB needs to fit a certain mold. Russell Wilson doesn’t fit that mold. Sometimes you just have to ask if a player can ‘ball’ and go with what your eyes have seen for the past 3 years. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

😂😂😂 But let me guess Herbert that lost to a true freshman at a neutral site is an nfl qb? Better yet answer this, the baker mayfield that lost to true freshman Jake Fromm is? Are you the guy that thinks jalen hurts is more pro ready than tua? haha Funny stuff here. Tua’s progressions are much improved from last year as is his accuracy and if the best quarterback in the sec isn’t nfl caliber than nobody is. Joe burrow more of an nfl fit than tua? 😭😂

Tua has all day to throw. There is no presnap reads with him. 

Herbert unlike Tua has to lead a team without all day to throw and without better talent at every position than the opposition has to offer weekly

P.S. I said the same thing about Mayfield. My last pick as a top QB was Watson and he's done just fine

1 minute ago, Bodysurf said:

Just like Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Jackson weren’t? NFL dogma is that a QB needs to fit a certain mold. Russell Wilson doesn’t fit that mold. Sometimes you just have to ask if a player can ‘ball’ and go with what your eyes have seen for the past 3 years. 

Lamar Jackson is limited in what he can do.

I think you meant Watson.  See my earlier post

40 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Let me guess,  you had Matt Leinart as a big time NFL quarterback to,  because the media sold you that huh?

Leinart went through a ton of progressions but he also never was touched because of that offensive line he had.

I'd rather have a QB that's lost college games(One player doesn't win or lose games either. Another blunder people make),  but has to think quickly than sit back there and pick a defense apart with all day to throw

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

I'd actually trade the top pick if I was Miami. Get more picks and get offensive and defensive lineman

I think some teams are trying to build around QB’s these days instead of building a good line, then getting the skills guys.  Does anyone really think Derek Carr is that much better than David Carr who spent way too many plays looking up at the sky?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, On2whls said:

I think some teams are trying to build around QB’s these days instead of building a good line, then getting the skills guys.  Does anyone really think Derek Carr is that much better than David Carr who spent way too many plays looking up at the sky?

I think the Carr situation can be used in lots of situations in college football that lead to these guys being drafted highly.

How many college QBs can you insert at Bama right now that'll look great?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

For 2020.

Say the first three teams are: 1. Miami; 2. Cincinnati; 3. Washington.

Who do you pick for each team?

Washington needs too much to stay at #3. Trade down to a team that needs a QB. Grab an OT in the middle 1st round. Get a WR and DB in round 2. They need a more reliable RB than Guice and the TE’s are aging. Address that in the middle rounds. 

11 hours ago, steeler01 said:

I'd actually trade the top pick if I was Miami. Get more picks and get offensive and defensive lineman

No way should they trade the potential top pick. They already have stockpiled a surplus of top picks in the next two drafts including 3 first rounders and 2 seconds in 2020. They also have multiple first rounders in 2021. That's more than enough to rebuild both lines and still keep the #1 pick. If Miami's front office has half a clue they could seriously revamp this roster in short order. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, legendsofthefall said:

No way should they trade the potential top pick. They already have stockpiled a surplus of top picks in the next two drafts including 3 first rounders and 2 seconds in 2020. They also have multiple first rounders in 2021. That's more than enough to rebuild both lines and still keep the #1 pick. If Miami's front office has half a clue they could seriously revamp this roster in short order. 

Please don't say Tua is worthy of a number 1 pick.

They have

3 1st rounder

2  2nd rounders

2 1st rounders

2 2nd rounders

That's barely enough to rebuild both lines that stink.  They are last against the run. They got Christian Wilkins last year, pair him with somebody to clog up the middle in the 1st round and get WR's and HB's in the 2nd round. 

If you trade the top pick for another 1st rounder plus another one next year.  I'd go after Bridgewater in the offseason, instead of getting Tua and hoping he's great. He's not going to be on the most talented team like he was at Bama. That will take a huge adjustment for him. Bridgewater isn't some difference maker, but he's good enough to win if the pieces around him are there(Look at how he's doing in New Orleans currently). The NFL has proven, you put a good team around a solid QB, and that team will win.

Flacco

Kapernick

Foles

Trubisky(Bears will right the boat, but their division is uber tough)

Broncos(With Manning his last year)

1st round

OG

DE (3-4 DE or if they go 4-3 a DT)

OT

OT

2nd round

CB

ILB

1st round

DE

OL(Center)

WR/CB

2nd round

SS

OLB

7 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

steeler makes a really great point. Really with any position, playing with elite surrounding talent can sometimes hide your flaws.

That's funny.. because I say the exact same thing about Mater Dei's QB (Bryce Young).

Has all day to throw...  has a lot of elite 5-Star and 4-Star WR level talent around him...  makes him look 10X better than what he really is.

My prediction with Bryce Young.. He'll spend one year on Bama's campus and learn that all these other highly regarded QB's on the roster are just better than him.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Please don't say Tua is worthy of a number 1 pick.

They have

3 1st rounder

2  2nd rounders

2 1st rounders

2 2nd rounders

That's barely enough to rebuild both lines that stink.  They are last against the run. They got Christian Wilkins last year, pair him with somebody to clog up the middle in the 1st round and get WR's and HB's in the 2nd round. 

If you trade the top pick for another 1st rounder plus another one next year.  I'd go after Bridgewater in the offseason, instead of getting Tua and hoping he's great. He's not going to be on the most talented team like he was at Bama. That will take a huge adjustment for him. Bridgewater isn't some difference maker, but he's good enough to win if the pieces around him are there(Look at how he's doing in New Orleans currently). The NFL has proven, you put a good team around a solid QB, and that team will win.

Flacco

Kapernick

Foles

Trubisky(Bears will right the boat, but their division is uber tough)

Broncos(With Manning his last year)

1st round

OG

DE (3-4 DE or if they go 4-3 a DT)

OT

OT

2nd round

CB

ILB

1st round

DE

OL(Center)

WR/CB

2nd round

SS

OLB

That's overkill. At some point you need to be able to draft players, not just keep trading to accumulate more picks. Not sure if they'll take Tua with the #1 but they should still stay at the 1 and take a franchise changer whomever that may be. Then support that pick with the other 2 first rounders in the form of line help. Then in the 2nd round they can still take more O/D linemen or CB or skill guy.

2021  - rinse and repeat.