NFL draft hypothetical

Adam Kurkjian

1 hour ago, Texasfrog said:

That's funny.. because I say the exact same thing about Mater Dei's QB (Bryce Young).

Has all day to throw...  has a lot of elite 5-Star and 4-Star WR level talent around him...  makes him look 10X better than what he really is.

My prediction with Bryce Young.. He'll spend one year on Bama's campus and learn that all these other highly regarded QB's on the roster are just better than him.

Do you just sit there and think about Mater Dei football all day?? 

Very odd 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, legendsofthefall said:

That's overkill. At some point you need to be able to draft players, not just keep trading to accumulate more picks. Not sure if they'll take Tua with the #1 but they should still stay at the 1 and take a franchise changer whomever that may be. Then support that pick with the other 2 first rounders in the form of line help. Then in the 2nd round they can still take more O/D linemen or CB or skill guy.

2021  - rinse and repeat. 

There's never overkill when it comes to linemen.  

4 hours ago, Texasfrog said:

That's funny.. because I say the exact same thing about Mater Dei's QB (Bryce Young).

Has all day to throw...  has a lot of elite 5-Star and 4-Star WR level talent around him...  makes him look 10X better than what he really is.

My prediction with Bryce Young.. He'll spend one year on Bama's campus and learn that all these other highly regarded QB's on the roster are just better than him.

He's played teams that can match his team's talent and not let him sit back there

IMG

SJB

I'd pay more attention to those games than the rest of his film.  Also, his cathedral film

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 4:05 PM, steeler01 said:

Tua has all day to throw. There is no presnap reads with him. 

You’re way off the reservation on this one. There are plenty of video clips circulating around the web demonstrating Tua’s ability to evade pass rushers and throw on the run — one of his better qualities BTW. You really need to deep dive and do some better home work on him.

Also, this flawed notion about Tua having too much talent surrounding him is beyond ridiculous. 

Was Joe Montana not a great NFL QB because he played with Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott,  and many other Pro Bowl and Hall of Fame caliber players? Does that somehow discredit him??? What about Tom Brady, who also has played with numerous Pro Bowlers and HOF talent, not to mention possibly the greatest coach of all time?

Pretty much every QB of a power 5 program, specifically the marquee programs, is surrounded by a ton of talent. You’re really grasping at straws and drawing on a weak hand using that as one of the pillars of your argument.

Deshaun Watson also played QB for a program that had an embarrassment of riches surrounding him. He seems to be doing quite well in the NFL,  doesn’t he?

Lastly, how come none of the QB’s preceding Tua Tagovailoa at Alabama who also played on Nat’l title winning teams and also had elite talent surrounding them never produced at the same level nor were ever touted as top picks in their respective drafts? A couple of them even played in the NFL.

Jalen Hurts wasn’t able to look like much of a proficient passer until transferring to the overly QB friendly system at Oklahoma. While at Alabama, he was never as dynamic as Tua despite playing with the same talent. That’s why he was ultimately benched in a Nat’l title game and lost the job the following season. Great runner, but mediocre slinger of the football.

It’s clearly not as simple as you are trying to make it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

You’re way off the reservation on this one. There are plenty of video clips circulating around the web demonstrating Tua’s ability to evade pass rushers and throw on the run — one of his better qualities BTW. You really need to deep dive and do some better home work on him.

There's only been so many games for Tua where he's played against teams that can match the talent he has on his team

Those teams

LSU-2018 

UGA-2018

Clemson-2018

MSU-2018

2017-UGA

He didn't perform very well against those teams either. Throwing interceptions against all of them. That's no a coincidence

Also, this flawed notion about Tua having too much talent surrounding him is beyond ridiculous. 

Was Joe Montana not a great NFL QB because he played with Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott,  and many other Pro Bowl and Hall of Fame caliber players? Does that somehow discredit him??? What about Tom Brady, who also has played with numerous Pro Bowlers and HOF talent, not to mention possibly the greatest coach of all time?

There's a huge discrepancy in College football talent to that of NFL talent. The NFL is much closer in talent between teams than College football. The worst NFL team can upset the best NFL team. That's not happening in College football. UNLV, UTEP, UMASS, UConn etc.... aren't beating Clemson, Bama, LSU.

Pretty much every QB of a power 5 program, specifically the marquee programs, is surrounded by a ton of talent. You’re really grasping at straws and drawing on a weak hand using that as one of the pillars of your argument.

Surrounded by talent, not the talent that Tua has. There's a reason that Bama is in national championship games annually.

Deshaun Watson also played QB for a program that had an embarrassment of riches surrounding him. He seems to be doing quite well in the NFL,  doesn’t he?

DeShaun Watson was big time in games in College football against teams that could match his talent. He shredded Bama twice. Some of the best defenses in college football history. Has Tua done that?

Lastly, how come none of the QB’s preceding Tua Tagovailoa at Alabama who also played on Nat’l title winning teams and also had elite talent surrounding them never produced at the same level nor were ever touted as top picks in their respective drafts? A couple of them even played in the NFL.

SImple, Bama has changed to a spread offense.

@steeler01

I’ll conclude my side of the discussion with these points.

If you do enough research, you’re gonna find a lot more scouts, evaluators, experts, pundits — whatever you choose to call them — that disagree with you regarding Tua’s pro potential. Doesn’t mean you’ll be wrong, but you are in the minority.

Secondly, you point to the subpar games he’s had as proof. But I’m telling you it doesn’t mean what you think it must mean. Peyton Manning was subpar in big games against the likes of Florida and others too. How’d his NFL career fare? Tom Brady couldn’t even beat out Drew Henson and played some poor games against top talent too. Dude has developed into one of the recognized greats. There are countless other examples too.

Tua also threw a laser beam to win a National title game and has some good performances against top talent under his belt too, including the 2nd half of that game against Georgia.

It comes down to his skill set and leadership qualities, which the majority of evaluators seem to believe he has in abundance. 

Evaluating and predicting future talent has always been an inexact science. Nobody knows for sure whether Tua or any other prospect will sink or swim. I surely don’t. I just have my belief that will be proven right or wrong over time.

The main point I was trying to bring to light is that the reasons you’ve come up with to discredit Tua are not absolute or positive indicators. Some of them aren’t even true. That is all.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:05 PM, steeler01 said:

Tua has all day to throw. There is no presnap reads with him. 

Herbert unlike Tua has to lead a team without all day to throw and without better talent at every position than the opposition has to offer weekly

P.S. I said the same thing about Mayfield. My last pick as a top QB was Watson and he's done just fine

It seems 9 times out of 10 Tua back foot plants and he throws immediately to wide open receivers.  The only team that I have personally seen force him to go 2nd and 3rd option was Clemson and the out come was not good.  Correct me if I am wrong he has long delivery throwing motion too.

NFL talent yes - Just not 1st round.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 7:41 AM, legendsofthefall said:

No way should they trade the potential top pick. They already have stockpiled a surplus of top picks in the next two drafts including 3 first rounders and 2 seconds in 2020. They also have multiple first rounders in 2021. That's more than enough to rebuild both lines and still keep the #1 pick. If Miami's front office has half a clue they could seriously revamp this roster in short order. 

That's the problem... they don't have a clue. 😄

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Defenses eventually adjust.  QBs in the NFL have to learn to play from the pocket. Lamar hasn't been adjusted to yet.

The chargers last year are the only team that game planned for him differently

Unless NFL defenders get slower and weaker they will catch up with Lamar and we’ll see if his body will hold up. Let’s revisit this in 2 or 3 years and see where he’s at, RG 3 and Cam Newton are two that come to mind.

1 minute ago, Norcalnut said:

Unless NFL defenders get slower and weaker they will catch up with Lamar and we’ll see if his body will hold up. Let’s revisit this in 2 or 3 years and see where he’s at, RG 3 and Cam Newton are two that come to mind.

Defenses adjust to these guys because of their inability to play from the pocket

15 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Defenses eventually adjust.  QBs in the NFL have to learn to play from the pocket. Lamar hasn't been adjusted to yet.

The chargers last year are the only team that game planned for him differently

They have had a season and a half to prepare for this guy and haven't.  If Bill the cheat couldn't do it I dont think anyone else will either.

4 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

RG3 was forced to come back from injury all but ending his career. Newton is a prima Donna. Vick is the one who comes to mind. 

Football has changed so much. The Lamar's, Murray's of the world will be fine. Hell even Burrow can take off and run if needed.  This is why players like young are going to be high draft picks.

4 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Defenses adjust to these guys because of their inability to play from the pocket

2 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

They have had a season and a half to prepare for this guy and haven't.  If Bill the cheat couldn't do it I dont think anyone else will either.

I think  the 49er front four will have something to say about that.