Ohio Playoffs Round 1

Coletrain06

Tremendous balance in 3 and 4, a Mentor/Ed's crash course in R1 (will either look ahead and have a hiccup?), and the always forgettable R2. Once again looking forward to the playoffs. 

My picks for round 1:

R1 - Mentor, Solon, Euclid, St. Edward

R2 - Springfield, Springboro, DC, Northmont (my upset special; I believe the Bolts have played a much more difficult schedule and were competitive in their losses to some pretty good teams)

R3 - O-Lib, HD (Groveport is the more talented team, but I think HD can dictate the pace of this game, and unlike GM, their staff has playoff pedigree), Pick North, Pick Central

R4 - X, Elder, Colerain, Fairfield 

The R1 Final between Mentor and St. Edward is the likely de facto state title game.  Just don't see anyone from any of the other regions having a team complete enough to beat either of those squads.

For my Cards, if we could find a way to get back to the regional final, this season, already a success in my book, would be that much sweeter.  The Princeton game could be closer than some think if the Vikings actually come to play.  There is some belief that the mercenaries are tired of playing football and just want the season to end knowing they really have no shot to win the region...we'll see.

-93CardinalsFan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Why Solon? McKinley hung with Washington. Was that just because of the rivalry they have or something else (ie injury, weather)? 

Just a guess really. No real confidence in the pick. I think Solon has played the tougher schedule overall, and was able to beat a Euclid team that nearly put up 50 on McKinley. The pups did surprise me with how close they were able to keep it with Massillon, but as you said, that is a huge rivalry game. Key for Solon will be slowing the McKinley running game behind Lameir Garrett, and the Comets do have some talent in their defensive front and LB unit to potentially get the job done. 

3 hours ago, OdbCle said:

Just a guess really. No real confidence in the pick. I think Solon has played the tougher schedule overall, and was able to beat a Euclid team that nearly put up 50 on McKinley. The pups did surprise me with how close they were able to keep it with Massillon, but as you said, that is a huge rivalry game. Key for Solon will be slowing the McKinley running game behind Lameir Garrett, and the Comets do have some talent in their defensive front and LB unit to potentially get the job done. 

I feel the same way. I'd lean toward Solon with no real confidence in the pick.

True toss up

• Thanks 1

Most of the focus is on the D1 playoffs (and rightfully so), but D2 is also shaping up to be interesting. We only talk about the teams that we think would be competitive in D1 (Hoban, Massillon, TCC, and LaSalle), but there are a number of very solid teams this year that deserve some credit.

Mayfield is undefeated out of R5 and will look to play spoiler to either Massillon or Hoban.  The Wildcats are pretty sound defensively and feature Joey Isabella (younger brother of Arizona Cardinal Andy) on the offensive side of the ball. I look at R6 as a three team battle between undefeated Avon, Avon Lake, and Benedictine. Avon handed Avon Lake their only loss of the season in week one, a 13-12 victory. After that setback Avon Lake has posted 6 shutouts this year, and only once has given up more than a TD.  TCC looks like a strong favorite in R7, but Anthony Wayne is also undefeated and looks to have a stout defense, having surrendered only 41 points all year with six shutouts. Down in R8, Turpin is undefeated (the Cincy folks will have to tell us how good they are actually are) and has to face a 7-seed Columbus DeSales that is usually always pretty tough. 

In Region 1, 

I don't think Cleveland Heights will have anything for Mentor. They have the athletes, but Mentor should roll......Solon/McKinley should be a great game. Don't know who takes this one. McKinley played well against rival Massillon. Solon has probably played the better schedule. True toss up......... I don't know much about Jackson except that they have an awesome mascot (polar bears), but just looking over results, I think Euclid takes this one. ....... Eds can probably name the score against Medina.

Region 2,

Springfield should dominate Marysville......Northmont/Whitmer should be a great game. Northmont has lost to some good teams and kept it close. Whitmer got smoked by TCC. Whitmer does have a better playoff pedigree, but I think Northmont pulls off a close one.....Coffman/Perrysburg could be close, but I think Coffman should win that one.........Springboro/Jerome is a hard game to pick. Not a lot to compare. Springboros only loss is to Springfield. I'll favor them.

Region 3

Olentangy Liberty vs Westerville Central should be a pretty good rematch. Liberty won the first 17-7 in a pretty good game. Liberty has the better playoff pedigree after winning Region 2 the past 3 years........HD is not nearly as good this year as they've been, and Groveport Madison is much better than they've been recently. HD staff has that playoff experience and know how to shorten the game and win playoff games by making few mistakes and limiting possessions. I think their strategy will give Groveport trouble.........Pick North/Olentangy Orange should be one of the better games in the first round. Pick North started out the season rough, but turned it around and had some good wins. Orange knocked off Liberty. I think Pick North has the better potential if they show up to play........Pick Central should handle Reynoldsburg, but you never know. 

Region 4

X vs Mason is a very interesting game.  Mason has been hot recently. They have had a solid passing attack and have a solid enough defense to give X some trouble.  That said, I think X is too much for Mason........Elder vs Lakota West has one factor that could make it interesting. West RB David Afari. With Elder' s defensive woes and lack of speed, Afari can definitely break a few long TD's.  While West has a good Defense, I don't think they'll stop Elder enough to make it a game.......Colerain/Princeton rematch could be a very close game. Princeton may be the most talented team in OH, and they are strongest in their D front 7 with a college size D line.  With Colerain being an almost exclusively running team, this creates problems.  In the first matchup,  Princeton's offense was unable to do much of anything,  but they've since switched to their much better passer,  whom has given life to their offense.  Still,  Colerain should take a hard fought win.......... Fairfield/Hamilton is a rematch. Hamilton pushed Fairfield in the first matchup, staying within a score.  Hamilton is much improved and also played Colerain very tough.  If MClain is hurt,  this could be another close one.  Otherwise,  I think Fairfield is ready and wins this one convincingly. 

1 hour ago, OdbCle said:

Most of the focus is on the D1 playoffs (and rightfully so), but D2 is also shaping up to be interesting. We only talk about the teams that we think would be competitive in D1 (Hoban, Massillon, TCC, and LaSalle), but there are a number of very solid teams this year that deserve some credit.

Mayfield is undefeated out of R5 and will look to play spoiler to either Massillon or Hoban.  The Wildcats are pretty sound defensively and feature Joey Isabella (younger brother of Arizona Cardinal Andy) on the offensive side of the ball. I look at R6 as a three team battle between undefeated Avon, Avon Lake, and Benedictine. Avon handed Avon Lake their only loss of the season in week one, a 13-12 victory. After that setback Avon Lake has posted 6 shutouts this year, and only once has given up more than a TD.  TCC looks like a strong favorite in R7, but Anthony Wayne is also undefeated and looks to have a stout defense, having surrendered only 41 points all year with six shutouts. Down in R8, Turpin is undefeated (the Cincy folks will have to tell us how good they are actually are) and has to face a 7-seed Columbus DeSales that is usually always pretty tough. 

Turpin and DeSales should be good. I'd favor DeSales. Neither should be a threat to La Salle. 

Anthony Wayne is who I've got my eye on. They blasted Perrysburg 33-0 and destroyed St. John's Jesuit whereas TCC and Whitmer had close games with St. John's.

1 hour ago, Coletrain06 said:

In Region 1, 

I don't think Cleveland Heights will have anything for Mentor. They have the athletes, but Mentor should roll......Solon/McKinley should be a great game. Don't know who takes this one. McKinley played well against rival Massillon. Solon has probably played the better schedule. True toss up......... I don't know much about Jackson except that they have an awesome mascot (polar bears), but just looking over results, I think Euclid takes this one. ....... Eds can probably name the score against Medina.

Region 2,

Springfield should dominate Marysville......Northmont/Whitmer should be a great game. Northmont has lost to some good teams and kept it close. Whitmer got smoked by TCC. Whitmer does have a better playoff pedigree, but I think Northmont pulls off a close one.....Coffman/Perrysburg could be close, but I think Coffman should win that one.........Springboro/Jerome is a hard game to pick. Not a lot to compare. Springboros only loss is to Springfield. I'll favor them.

Region 3

Olentangy Liberty vs Westerville Central should be a pretty good rematch. Liberty won the first 17-7 in a pretty good game. Liberty has the better playoff pedigree after winning Region 2 the past 3 years........HD is not nearly as good this year as they've been, and Groveport Madison is much better than they've been recently. HD staff has that playoff experience and know how to shorten the game and win playoff games by making few mistakes and limiting possessions. I think their strategy will give Groveport trouble.........Pick North/Olentangy Orange should be one of the better games in the first round. Pick North started out the season rough, but turned it around and had some good wins. Orange knocked off Liberty. I think Pick North has the better potential if they show up to play........Pick Central should handle Reynoldsburg, but you never know. 

Region 4

X vs Mason is a very interesting game.  Mason has been hot recently. They have had a solid passing attack and have a solid enough defense to give X some trouble.  That said, I think X is too much for Mason........Elder vs Lakota West has one factor that could make it interesting. West RB David Afari. With Elder' s defensive woes and lack of speed, Afari can definitely break a few long TD's.  While West has a good Defense, I don't think they'll stop Elder enough to make it a game.......Colerain/Princeton rematch could be a very close game. Princeton may be the most talented team in OH, and they are strongest in their D front 7 with a college size D line.  With Colerain being an almost exclusively running team, this creates problems.  In the first matchup,  Princeton's offense was unable to do much of anything,  but they've since switched to their much better passer,  whom has given life to their offense.  Still,  Colerain should take a hard fought win.......... Fairfield/Hamilton is a rematch. Hamilton pushed Fairfield in the first matchup, staying within a score.  Hamilton is much improved and also played Colerain very tough.  If MClain is hurt,  this could be another close one.  Otherwise,  I think Fairfield is ready and wins this one convincingly. 

I feel like we're gonna Shock The World this weekend.

I'm kidding. We definitely won't. xD