NY Times article about football decline and what is being done about it

SJR89

59 minutes ago, SJR89 said:

Decline is because back in the day football was Played because it was fun today, now kids wanna play Call of Duty and Fortnite

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Decline is because back in the day football was Played because it was fun today, now kids wanna play Call of Duty and Fortnite

Don’t like my post y’all are the biggest enabler’s in the world

these kids don’t want to run 50 yard wind sprints and 20 yard bear crawls they rather throw 70 yard bombs playing Madden on Nintendo because mommy and Daddy will buy anything lil Jonny wants

😈😝🙃🙃😇

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The article at the top of this thread is really part one of a planned series of articles.  The second installment came out over the weekend:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/16/sports/youth-tackle-football-marshall-texas.html

It is about Marshall Texas.  5 years ago they banned tackle football at the 7th grade level.  Now they've brought it back for a couple of reasons: 1) Arguments that tackling techniques has made tacking safer, and 2) Some parents felt their kids were less prepared when they joined the 8th grade team, an important feeder for the HS team...Based on my experience with youth sport parents, I'd guess #2 is the more driving reason...

The article hits on the shifting demographics of HS football:  In 2006 it was 75% white, and last year it was 56%.

There's another thread in the article, summarized by the last quote: "Football is a path out of situations people are born into."

I must admit, my thinking on this sentiment has changed over the years.