How in the world is GA the #4 team in the CFP!? Embarrassing!

frankyjames

1 minute ago, 954gator said:

None.    Now if other teams start dropping and they handle Auburn and LSU handles UGA easily then I could see it happening.    Do I want 2 SEC teams in?  Hell no, but it could definitely happen.    

I'm curious why winning against Auburn is such a big deal.

Assuming Team Anonymous beats them, there's a good chance they'll finish with four losses and have three close calls on their resume.

Zero wins by more than a score over anyone with a pulse.

2 minutes ago, concha said:

Assuming Team Anonymous beats them, there's a good chance they'll finish with four losses and have three close calls on their resume.

Well when you consider Auburn being the only loss Oregon has I think it ties into the argument.   Don't you?

Bama is lucky that Auburn has that win honestly.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, concha said:

Auburn also, IMO, has a decent shot of beating UGA.   

1 minute ago, 954gator said:

Well when you consider Auburn being the only loss Oregon has I think it ties into the argument.   Don't you?

It's certainly not irrelevant but generally speaking early games are not considered as much as later ones.

And it is the total body of work that gets considered.

The fact is that over the season Auburn has been bested twice and barely won three more times. Auburn barely squeaked by Ole Miss in their last game. It was 20-14 with nearly 6 minutes left in the game. And there are two more realistic losses on the horizon.

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

One year 2 Big 10 "teams" may make the playoffs....not this year though.

No other league has a legit shot for right now.

The Big 10 had a decent chance if PSU and tOSU squared off as undefeated teams and played each other closely. There best chance would have been PSU going undefeated and tOSU having only 1 loss.

What will be interesting is if Minnesota wins the Big 10 and goes undefeated. UGA beats LSU, Bama beats Auburn, and Oregon beats Utah.

That will really shake things up.

At this point Clemson is the only sure bet to make the playoffs due to a lack of opposition remaining.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, concha said:

As did South Carolina.

Playing at Auburn makes it even more likely. If we do not get some guys healthy, then we are in BIG trouble.

We lost 3 OL (with the center being the worse loss imo) and Cager last week.

I really don't have much faith in our OC. I don't think Kirby was thorough enough in his search for Chaney's replacement.

@concha   Truth is teams had really shitty OOC schedules this year.     

Take the Big 10 for example:

Minnesota:   Beat both Georgia Southern and Fresno St by 3 pts.

Wisconsin:   Easy wins vs USF and Central Michigan

Penn State     Struggles in win vs  Pitt (17-10)

Michigan State    Lost to Arizona St (10-7)

Ohio State  Probably best OOC win by BIG in Cincinnati (42-0),   their other OOC win FAU scored more on OSU than any Big10 team (45-21)

Michigan:   Escaped Army in 2OTs (24-21)

Think about that...the BIG10s best OOC win is Cincy (please correct me if I'm wrong of course).     Auburn beating Oregon is probably the best OOC win this year.    

**edit forgot Michigan's win vs Notre Dame.   That might actually be the better OOS win.   Debatable I guess.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, concha said:

As did South Carolina.

Very true, and UGA then beat FL who beat both South Carolina and Auburn.   Listen I don't think UGA is that great, I really do think FL shit the bed, and Fromm had his best game of the season (again) against FL, but if they get wins vs LSU and Auburn they will have some good wins under their belt.    

19 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Ohio State  Probably best OOC win by BIG in Cincinnati (42-0),   their other OOC win FAU scored more on OSU than any Big10 team (45-21)

Think about that...the BIG10s best OOC win is Cincy (please correct me if I'm wrong of course).     Auburn beating Oregon is probably the best OOC win this year.    

**edit forgot Michigan's win vs Notre Dame.   That might actually be the better OOS win.   Debatable I guess.  

concha doesn't look at that sort of stuff...

• Thumbs Down 1

How about this?

Clemson plays Wake Forest this week.

Virginia Tech beat Wake Forest by 3 TDs last week.

Virginia Tech can barely beat Furman this year.....and Va-Tech was crushed by 4-win Duke.

If Wake Forest even stays close with Clemson.......Clemson would be OUT if I was on the committee.

Clemson used up their one "get out of jail card" on North Carolina.

• Thumbs Down 1

25 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Yes.

Cincinnati is one. The other might be Michigan mercilessly pummeling Notre Dame (compare to Georgia).

Which is why conference titles and Power Five games and conferences matter too.

I wonder if any of the B10 scheds can count the equivalent of New Mexico State, Southern Mississippi and Western Carolina. On the same schedule?

As regards the FAU game, let's not get carried away.  It was Justin Field's first start for tOSU and the score was 35-6 at the start the 4th quarter, which is where FAU got 125 of their total 228 yards for the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, concha said:

Yes.

Cincinnati is one. The other might be Michigan mercilessly pummeling Notre Dame (compare to Georgia).

Which is why conference titles and Power Five games and conferences matter too.

I wonder if any of the B10 scheds can count the equivalent of New Mexico State, Southern Mississippi and Western Carolina. On the same schedule?

As regards the FAU game, let's not get carried away.  It was Justin Field's first start for tOSU and the score was 35-6 at the start the 4th quarter, which is where FAU got 125 of their total 228 yards for the game.

Minnesota had to come from behind to beat South Dakota State 

24 minutes ago, RedZone said:

How about this?

Virginia Tech can barely beat Furman this year.....and Va-Tech was crushed by 4-win Duke.

If Wake Forest even stays close with Clemson.......Clemson would be OUT if I was on the committee.

Nah Clemson is in if they win out IMO period.    

26 minutes ago, RedZone said:

How about this?

I put this out there because evidently Wake Forest is the 2nd best ACC team....who knows?

• Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Gump's ass has a loss and no meaningful wins.

🤡

Bama lost to the best team they've played so far....  

Then the other conference opponents they have played so far have been soft outside of A&M who has been average at best.... 

And Bama's non-Conference games... Oof... You can say what you want but nothing can save you from your best OOC game being Duke.... 

3 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Bama lost to the best team they've played so far....  

Then the other conference opponents they have played so far have been soft outside of A&M who has been average at best.... 

And Bama's non-Conference games... Oof... You can say what you want but nothing can save you from your best OOC game being Duke.... 

But yet minnesota who is everyone darling has a crap ass OOC as well and had to come back in the 4th quarter in all OOC games this year. 

And ohio state is the first team in the playoff era to win a game and lose their ranking 

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

But yet minnesota who is everyone darling has a crap ass OOC as well and had to come back in the 4th quarter in all OOC games this year. 

And ohio state is the first team in the playoff era to win a game and lose their ranking 

And I've made no excuses for Minnesota... But if they win out... They deserve a spot. But don't worry that ain't happening so don't blow a gasket over Minnesota. What you need to worry about is Oregon if they win out Alabama isn't getting in... 

And if they win out and don't get in then the committee is officially snorting coke off big Al's ass crack.... 

Just now, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

And I've made no excuses for Minnesota... But if they win out... They deserve a spot. But don't worry that ain't happening so don't blow a gasket over Minnesota. What you need to worry about is Oregon if they win out Alabama isn't getting in... 

And if they win out and don't get in then the committee is officially snorting coke off big Al's ass crack.... 

Idk if oregon has enough to jump alabama. Oregon has that loss to Auburn. Alabama would have to beat Auburn. Common opponent. Nod to alabama.