SJR vs Bosco

SJR89

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

#parity

Bosco seems to have a lot of FCS-type players, as they did in '12 and '13.  Back then, their kids flew around, and even Pepps w/ a good OL couldn't easily turn the corner on them--the pursuit was just flying above the melee to get after him.

'15 was a good year (though their D as a whole was not as tough as it was just a year or 2 before), but '16-'18, it looked like Bosco's D just holes in it, and no ability to contain--no pursuit or gang tackling.  I think that there might have been more highly-recruited kids, but Bosco's D had holes--it wasn't solid from top to bottom.

In the 4-4, Brennan was constantly stuck trying to tackle 12-15 yds back in the open field a burner with no one near him, and on sweeps, it always seemed as if was just a Bosco CB against 2 blockers--no pursuit or stringing the RB out.

I also think the 4-4 wasn't the right D for the talent that they had.  Brennan was good, but I like Batts as the last man standing b/w the runner and the goal line, and back then, Bosco's OLBs seemed barely 200 lbs. and too easy to block unless maybe they were running downhill a bit.  and Malaguti and Chakonis were good but not fast like Ramos.  that kid last yr--Alvarado--was a stud, though

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

@StJoesFanboy PC had the same observation re 3.Great minds think alike. 

It was noticeable but I thought there was a method to Sabella's madness.  A former Bosco and college "offense" coach with us was the one who kept saying that you feed the best player in the state the ball a lot.

I had more of an Eric-Dickerson-'85-Bears' perspective--you can't run if you don't have blocking, but that coach with us was sharp.

Dickerson was 1 of the best, with an OL with 4-5 Pro Bowlers and/or future HOFers, but he ran for fewer than 20 or 30 yds.  But maybe that wasn't the right way of thinking about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StJoesFanboy said:

It was noticeable but I thought there was a method to Sabella's madness.  A former Bosco and college "offense" coach with us was the one who kept saying that you feed the best player in the state the ball a lot.

I had more of an Eric-Dickerson-'85-Bears' perspective--you can't run if you don't have blocking, but that coach with us was sharp.

Dickerson was 1 of the best, with an OL with 4-5 Pro Bowlers and/or future HOFers, but he ran for fewer than 20 or 30 yds.  But maybe that wasn't the right way of thinking about it.

But it showed when you did get him the ball but that defense was great the whole game

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

Sabella is the best coach in the BNU.... for what he did at PC and Now at Bosco. 

The guy can coach ..... 

won state title at PC with prob not as much talent as other BNU teams .... now can do the same in two weeks at Bosco. 

i agree but it helps (and I don't mean this in an insensitive way) that BC and Joes were missing some studs.

Irrespective, he's very good.

The question I can't figure out is, can even a guy like Sabella get enough talent (with Bosco seemingly not recruiting like it previously did) to keep us with BC, Joes, and SPP?

50 minutes ago, StJoesFanboy said:

The question I can't figure out is, can even a guy like Sabella get enough talent (with Bosco seemingly not recruiting like it previously did) to keep us with BC, Joes, and SPP?

Bosco had a pretty good frosh class this year, with 3 varsity starters, although the freshman team did lose to both bc & sjr.  Were these Teel’s or Sabella’s kids, or (probably) a mix?  It does seem like the highest profile kids have been going to bc or joe’s lately though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

Sabella is the best coach in the BNU.... for what he did at PC and Now at Bosco. 

The guy can coach ..... 

won state title at PC with prob not as much talent as other BNU teams .... now can do the same in two weeks at Bosco. 

You are aware that damn near PC'S whole team went D1 that year? That was the last of the kids Partridge brought in. Name a more talented team that 2016 season.