Mater Dei vs. St. John Bosco (Round 2)

dntn31

I was kinda thinking that Cen10 would cause problems for Bosco last night but I was very wrong. The MD game wasn’t as close as the score either as MV scored a TD on a blocked punt and then got 2 TDs during the running clock against scrubs. One on a pick 6 by the third string QB. 
Next Saturday will be good. I suppose MD will be favored but it should be a pick em. If I’m Bosco I run the ball. When they have run the ball against MD they have had success. Plus it keeps BY off the field. DJ is very good but they are doing MD a big favor if they put all their trust in him to beat MD in a shootout. 

3 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

I was kinda thinking that Cen10 would cause problems for Bosco last night but I was very wrong. The MD game wasn’t as close as the score either as MV scored a TD on a blocked punt and then got 2 TDs during the running clock against scrubs. One on a pick 6 by the third string QB. 
Next Saturday will be good. I suppose MD will be favored but it should be a pick em. If I’m Bosco I run the ball. When they have run the ball against MD they have had success. Plus it keeps BY off the field. DJ is very good but they are doing MD a big favor if they put all their trust in him to beat MD in a shootout. 

SJB has a great run game when they need to, but MD is very good against the run.  It ought to be a shootout which I think favors MD although not by much.

• Like 2

MD and Bosco are closer than most people truly believe this year. Toss out the early Bosco mistakes and and defend better in the 1st half and that game is totally different because they were scary close the second half. Also, on paper Bosco RB support seems to be a clear advantage that hasn’t really been fully taken advantage of and in theory could be better utilized to tip the time of possession scales. 

But, how does Bosco really do it and how might MD counter? My initial thoughts are; stop Epps and contain Bryce so MD must win w RBs - I.e., drop 6-8 back, spy Bryce and shut down epps (cover-2, whatever). Can’t cover2 w/ a spy too, right? Who on Bosco could effectively spy BY, let alone lockdown Epps 1on1. That new Van safety kid for BY? Does MD have another legitimate WR threat that is a matchup nightmare and would benefit? What does MD do when DJ decides to run more often (which when he did, was pretty good). 

How does Bosco stop Epps? How did Jserra do it? That seems like #1 on the list for starters, just for damage control. Thoughts?

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/11/27/st-john-bosco-defenders-hopeful-they-can-slow-mater-deis-magic-man-in-cif-ss-football-final/

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

MD and Bosco are closer than most people truly believe this year. Toss out the early Bosco mistakes and and defend better in the 1st half and that game is totally different because they were scary close the second half. Also, on paper Bosco RB support seems to be a clear advantage that hasn’t really been fully taken advantage of and in theory could be better utilized to tip the time of possession scales. 

But, how does Bosco really do it and how might MD counter? My initial thoughts are; stop Epps and contain Bryce so MD must win w RBs - I.e., drop 6-8 back, spy Bryce and shut down epps (cover-2, whatever). Can’t cover2 w/ a spy too, right? Who on Bosco could effectively spy BY, let alone lockdown Epps 1on1. That new Van safety kid for BY? Does MD have another legitimate WR threat that is a matchup nightmare and would benefit? What does MD do when DJ decides to run more often (which when he did, was pretty good). 

How does Bosco stop Epps? How did Jserra do it? That seems like #1 on the list for starters, just for damage control. Thoughts?

I don’t believe it’s as close, think MD is better, but Sjb can win it for sure. MD is better in all areas except for maybe the defensive line in my opinion. Leutele may not have the stars gaoteote has but he’s playing at a high level so i’ll call that even at backer. MD’s receivers are all pretty good and the weakness of boscos defense is their secondary. BY is playing on another level right now in terms of his ability to call the game on the fly. I think that makes the difference this game. Bring 7 or drop 7 & Bryce will figure it out. Bosco has to chew clock and keep bryce on the sideline, that’s their best defense. Can’t say bosco is better at running the ball than Sfa but bosco is clearly much much better at throwing ball so MD won’t be able to defend that same way. Bosco is the second best team in the country and will definitely get theirs, just think it will come by running the ball this time around. I like the MD secondary matchup against Bosco’s receivers & Dj is also 1 for 5 against MD. Monarchs by 14. 

• Like 3