Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
eddiev

SJB gets the nod. MNC is in their hands now.

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Duncanville will hop them and STA if they win out. 

I wouldn't be so sure. Last year, USAToday gave it to MD over undefeated North Shore, despite MD's regular season loss to SJB.

There are three scenarios I could see where SJB gets passed over by USAToday:

1. STA wins out and SJB squeaks by DLS (effectively at home) which makes STA's road win at DLS that much more impressive

2. Duncanville/SLC win out and absolutely demolish the teams in their path

3. USAToday decides to not care about precedent (i.e. last year) and goes with whatever they think will generate the most controversy/clicks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Expect PF to also have SJB at 1. For now. 

I would say so, based on this tweet...

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biff better take back to twitter and get after PrepNation they just dropped them from 3 to 6.. lol.. Maybe they can find them a game 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Last year, USAToday gave it to MD over undefeated North Shore, despite MD's regular season loss to SJB.

There are three scenarios I could see where SJB gets passed over by USAToday:

1. STA wins out and SJB squeaks by DLS (effectively at home) which makes STA's road win at DLS that much more impressive

2. Duncanville/SLC win out and absolutely demolish the teams in their path

3. USAToday decides to not care about precedent (i.e. last year) and goes with whatever they think will generate the most controversy/clicks

You could be right. 

While precedent wouldn't exactly be the correct way of seeing it because the two season's are totally different, there was at least a similar slip for MD last year. 

MD rolled everyone except then bad loss to SJB, which they were able to erase with a rematch win over them. They then had a decent margin of victory over DLS. 

 

This year, SJB had a loss to MD earlier, then a slip against Servite, but were able to erase the loss with a spectacular 2nd half against MD. They still have that slip to Servite though. 

The question will be, is the Texas playoff run, and extra game enough to propel the Texas undefeated state champ over a one loss, one slip SJB?

One thing about it... We are bound to find out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

You could be right. 

While precedent wouldn't exactly be the correct way of seeing it because the two season's are totally different, there was at least a similar slip for MD last year. 

MD rolled everyone except then bad loss to SJB, which they were able to erase with a rematch win over them. They then had a decent margin of victory over DLS. 

 

This year, SJB had a loss to MD earlier, then a slip against Servite, but were able to erase the loss with a spectacular 2nd half against MD. They still have that slip to Servite though. 

The question will be, is the Texas playoff run, and extra game enough to propel the Texas undefeated state champ over a one loss, one slip SJB?

One thing about it... We are bound to find out. 

Calling the Servite game a "slip" is highly subjective. SJB still won the game. A close win is still a win.

A real slip would be something more like actually losing to an inferior team (say something l ike 17-6 in week 0 or 50-49). 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Calling the Servite game a "slip" is highly subjective. SJB still won the game. A close win is still a win.

A real slip would be something more like actually losing to an inferior team (say something l ike 17-6 in week 0 or 50-49). 😉

The point was, last year, outside of the avenged loss to SJB, MD had no close games. None. They were totally dominant in their schedule. 

SJB did have the close game with Servite. 

 

I do agree that a win is a win, but, I've been argued down by Jersey and Cali guys about that when arguing for Colquitt in 14 and 15. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The point was, last year, outside of the avenged loss to SJB, MD had no close games. None. They were totally dominant in their schedule. . 

Sure, but the counter argument to that is MD's loss of 41-18 last year was much worse than SJB's loss of 38-24 this year, and not even in terms of purely the scoreboard. In the 41-18 loss MD was dominated the entire game, in 38-24 loss, SJB outscored MD 21-17 over the last 2.5 quarters and was driving late in the 4th quarter to bring it to a 1 score game before turning it over in the red zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Duncanville will hop them and STA if they win out. 

Glad you're excited about it right now though. 

If SJB blows out DLS, that ruins any chance of STA winning the MNC. Period

Duncanville has a chance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Sure, but the counter argument to that is MD's loss of 41-18 last year was much worse than SJB's loss of 38-24 this year, and not even in terms of purely the scoreboard. In the 41-18 loss MD was dominated the entire game, in 38-24 loss, SJB outscored MD 21-17 over the last 2.5 quarters and was driving late in the 4th quarter to bring it to a 1 score game before turning it over in the red zone.

Both losses were avenged. I think they get seen as a wash both last year and this year, which is the only way MD gets the MNC last year. The avenged loss basically became no loss in the big picture to the pollsters, then, the rest of the schedule was run in dominant fashion. 

This year, similar scenario with SJB getting the avenged loss, but, they did have the close game with Servite. 

They'll have one less game on their schedule than an undefeated Texas squad like Duncanville. 

I would try to argue for a Lowndes, but, their oos win lost a little shine, and they just snuck by Grayson. Too easy to argue against them due to that, and they possibly don't lift the trophy still. 

I won't try to argue for STA because they'll also have one less game.

The Cali teams are basically in the garage now. 1 game left. Georgia still has two weeks. 

Pretty much too soon to guess a lot yet considering how much ball left to be played outside of Cali. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much banter over a "mythical title" that nobody outside this board really cares about.

HSFB is still extremely local and regional.

:) 

Winning your section or state is all that really matters to 99.999999 percent of people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, frankyjames said:

So much banter over a "mythical title" that nobody outside this board really cares about.

HSFB is still extremely local and regional.

:) 

Winning your section or state is all that really matters to 99.999999 percent of people. 

Says the fan of a team that is never in the MNC discussion.

#smallmarket

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rippers said:

Says the fan of a team that is never in the MNC discussion.

#smallmarket

LMFAO the "mythical" national title. 

I once beat Mike Tyson in Punchout!

#Smallmarket :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dntn31 said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Last year, USAToday gave it to MD over undefeated North Shore, despite MD's regular season loss to SJB.

There are three scenarios I could see where SJB gets passed over by USAToday:

1. STA wins out and SJB squeaks by DLS (effectively at home) which makes STA's road win at DLS that much more impressive

2. Duncanville/SLC win out and absolutely demolish the teams in their path

3. USAToday decides to not care about precedent (i.e. last year) and goes with whatever they think will generate the most controversy/clicks

Ehh who cares.   SJB and MD are both great teams that would send most top teams home with Ls.   MNC is mythical anyways.   Great win bud!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Both losses were avenged. I think they get seen as a wash both last year and this year, which is the only way MD gets the MNC last year. The avenged loss basically became no loss in the big picture to the pollsters, then, the rest of the schedule was run in dominant fashion. 

This year, similar scenario with SJB getting the avenged loss, but, they did have the close game with Servite. 

They'll have one less game on their schedule than an undefeated Texas squad like Duncanville. 

I would try to argue for a Lowndes, but, their oos win lost a little shine, and they just snuck by Grayson. Too easy to argue against them due to that, and they possibly don't lift the trophy still. 

I won't try to argue for STA because they'll also have one less game.

The Cali teams are basically in the garage now. 1 game left. Georgia still has two weeks. 

Pretty much too soon to guess a lot yet considering how much ball left to be played outside of Cali. 

 

How did their OOS wins lose shine? Both Florida teams they played are playing for the championship in their respective classes. And even tho they only beat grayson by 8, it's not like they were in danger of losing that game from the looks of it. Lowndes was probably experiencing a "thanksgiving hangover" that night...lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

How did their OOS wins lose shine? Both Florida teams they played are playing for the championship in their respective classes. And even tho they only beat grayson by 8, it's not like they were in danger of losing that game from the looks of it. Lowndes was probably experiencing a "thanksgiving hangover" that night...lol. 

Haha. You posted this is the wrong thread 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

How did their OOS wins lose shine? Both Florida teams they played are playing for the championship in their respective classes. And even tho they only beat grayson by 8, it's not like they were in danger of losing that game from the looks of it. Lowndes was probably experiencing a "thanksgiving hangover" that night...lol. 

Well, the best oos win for Lowndes is Northwestern, who lost to IMG pretty handily. IMG then goes and bites the pillow for SFA who is lucky to be top five. 

That isn't as good of an oos win as Mater Dei had. Had Northwestern beaten IMG, then suddenly it's a better win. Champagnat Catholic has 2 more losses than the Lowndes loss. 

They just aren't that great of wins for a MNC argument in the long run. The better tact for Lowndes is the in state playoff run which is still ongoing. 

If you compare the oos wins that Mater Dei hold with SFA and Centennial Arizona, the SFA game is better than either of Lowndes and the Centennial is similar to Lowndes. SJB gets the privelege of riding the coat tail of MD in this scenario. Most see them as equal squads with the split record. Then figure in SJB destroyed Good Counsel who won the private league in Maryland, destroyed DeMatha and DBP who finished as the runner up in the BNU...

All of that doesn't make for a great argument for Lowndes at the moment. Depending on how they dispatch North Gwinnett and then if they also dispatch Marietta or Parkview, I figure them definitely a shoe in for top 5, maybe top 3. 

I just know it took Colquitt back to back undefeated seasons, while practically buzz sawing the entire state along with Hoover one of the years to finally break through. The first year 4th was the finish in the comp poll I think. Then after repeating that the next year they finally got a couple of mnc nods. 

In other words, it apparently takes more than one season to get over the hump when there is bias toward the beautiful loaded roster private school teams. 

Hell one poll today the guy is practically sucking the pecker of St. John Bosco talking about how he bet on them and everything. Hahaha. That's a tough hill to climb for Lowndes, at least in that poll. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not hating on Lowndes, just being a realist. 

I'd guess if they finish the drill this season, then run through their schedule again next year, they have a legit shot at some piece of the mnc. 

It's even more difficult today than when Colquitt did it because the rules for the SoCal squads got loosened around the same time where they can practically fill every position on their teams with whoever they want, and we see they are able to load up and travel cross country, which apparently means the world to some of these polls. It's difficult enough to overcome the preseason bias toward these stacked rosters, but, then you have to overcome the travel across the country perception problem as well. 

Most of these polls have jumped the shark with that stuff. We know that most high schools can't act like colleges with their travel and roster stacking. If you can't play and beat one of the schools that can then the row is longer and tougher to hoe. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...