Q&A with USA Academy Chairman, Dustin DeVaughn

PrepGridiron

Hi Everyone,

USA Academy Founder and Chairman Dustin DeVaughn will be joining us for a Q&A today at 9AM PT

As always, we'd like to welcome Dustin DeVaughn to Prepgridiron.com.

Dustin DeVaughn is the Chairman and Founder of Ultimate Student Athlete (USA) Academy. USA Academy is a new school expected to be located in Coosada, Alabama. Mr. DeVaughn started USA Academy as a way to create a school designed to offer better opportunity for athletes and academics. With sponsors on board, USA Academy is expected to build a 19,000 square foot football facility and has recently announced former Colquitt and Hoover head coach, Rush Propst, to lead the program. Mr. DeVaughn attended Auburn University and is the owner/operator of several businesses. 

In collaboration with PrepGridiron Logistics, Dustin DeVaughn has been kind enough to give us some of his time and answer several questions posed by the members of this board. As we have done in the past, we will be asking Dustin the questions and he will be responding in the thread. We will be asking Dustin five questions and expect to open up the floor to members. Feel free to respond and ask questions, note, however, that it will be at Dustin's discretion whether he responds further. Lastly, we ask that you keep your responses civil and on topic. The thread will be heavily moderated so that we can encourage other coaches to come on in the future. Thanks again, Dustin, and everyone enjoy. 

The first question will be asked at 9AM PT

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, USA Academy said:

This started in September of last year with my frustrations with home school sports and the resources available to those organizations.

Its tough to find good programs, there is arguably only so many across the country.

Question 2:

I’m assuming there are many private investors involved in USA. Can you divulge some of your corporate partners, sponsors, etc. at this time?IMG started as a tennis academy, then added other sports as time went on. Will USA be a football-only academy, or do you have plans to add other sports down the road? What’s your short-term enrollment goal?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Over the next few weeks we will be releasing our sponsors on some of our marketing materials and promo items. We can't go in to details of our private investors simply because, they are private investors for a reason. This year we will be showcasing football, cheer, baseball, softball, golf, and soccer. Adding basketball and volleyball in year two, and then have some other ideas in the future.

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Question 4: 

Can you educate us on the academic side of USA? 

Of course, the academic side of our School is not something I get to speak about enough over these last few weeks with the excitement of the football possibilities for our community. But we are offering a blended learning environment for our students utilizing the best of modern technology combined with the benefits of the incredible teachers. We believe a major difference maker will be our optimal learning scope. It is specifically designed to be built around each student to maximize their academic abilities. You can see more about our optimal learning scope and our blended learning philosophy on our web page. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, USA Academy said:

Of course, the academic side of our Scholl is not something I get to speak about enough over these last few weeks with the excitement of the football possibilities for our community. But we are offering a blended learning environment for our students utilizing the best of modern technology combined with the benefits of the incredible teachers. We believe a major difference maker will be our optimal learning scope. It is specifically designed to be built around each student to maximize their academic abilities. You can see more about our optimal learning scope and our blended learning philosophy on our web page. 

This is great. I've read a few pieces in the news and I don't think it is getting enough coverage, but it does sound like you are going to put together quality academics.

Last question and if you have some time (I know you are busy fielding a number of press requests) I'd like to open up the question up to the members:

So much work needs to get done before August 2020. Are you confident in your ability to meet such quick deadlines

Thanks, Dustin and good luck with the project. Its a brave step and you are commended for getting into the arena.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, PrepGridiron said:

This is great. I've read a few pieces in the news and I don't think it is getting enough coverage, but it does sound like you are going to put together quality academics.

Last question and if you have some time (I know you are busy fielding a number of press requests) I'd like to open up the question up to the members:

So much work needs to get done before August 2020. Are you confident in your ability to meet such quick deadlines

Thanks, Dustin and good luck with the project. Its a brave step and you are commended for getting into the arena.

Oh yes we are extremely confident. I look at this like the growth of a tree. People can only see the above ground and are not thinking alot about the roots that are already in place to keep the tree from falling over during it's growth period. But we are very prepared for any delays, weather, etc that may come. Plus we have a relationship cultivated that would meet our needs should any issues arise. 

• Like 3

I have a question if you have time, as you mentioned you have quite a few sports for the opening season and I'm curious if you all have a scheduling philosophy you looking at currently?

Like are you all wanting to schedule locally or will you focus on OOS games and are you all wanting to host/travel more preferred or just depends on what is financially offered by other teams on a case by case basis?

1 minute ago, USA Academy said:

Oh yes we are extremely confident. I look at this like the growth of a tree. People can only see the above ground and are not thinking alot about the roots that are already in place to keep the tree from falling over during it's growth period. But we are very prepared for any delays, weather, etc that may come. Plus we have a relationship cultivated that would meet our needs should any issues arise. 

Thank you, Dustin, we are on your time. Please let us know when you have to run. I read somewhere you praising Coach Propst for all his assistance, would be great to find out how much impact he's had in the work you've been doing.

• Like 1

Just now, Columbiafan said:

I have a question if you have time, as you mentioned you have quite a few sports for the opening season and I'm curious if you all have a scheduling philosophy you looking at currently?

Like are you all wanting to schedule locally or will you focus on OOS games and are you all wanting to host/travel more preferred or just depends on what is financially offered by other teams on a case by case basis?

We are looking to play an aggressive home and travel schedule. Plus, we have been working with team at PGL to take care of our nationally scheduled opponents.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Thanks again for your time. How many student applications have you received? And from how many states are the students contacting you from? Do you expect to serve students from all 50 states or just the SE region?

Right now we have over 380 applications this morning for football and countless applications for Roger sports. Our interest level has been from 31 different states to date. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Coach do you plan on flying this year, or will be traveling strictly by bus?

We are not looking to bus anything outside of 8 hours, so yes, we absolutely plan on flying to some games. We have spoken to several air partners and have that need in place once we finalize the schedule. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1