Q&A with USA Academy Chairman, Dustin DeVaughn

PrepGridiron

On 1/20/2020 at 9:29 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

Well, he appeared somehow connected to the Grayson team that magically stacked up a few years back and ran through the state with Jeff Herron as the coach for one year. Then it appeared that after all the blowback and everything, he kinda faded from there as his kid graduated I guess. 

Then he started dipping his fingers into other places around the state, like Colquitt a little via twitter contact with the boys and retweeting them out to colleges and stuff, which pissed Rush off at the time, as Rush used the college contact thing as one of his tools to help keep the team under his control. When others started dipping in there he lost some of his grip on the kids. 

They had some words through the media actually. Rush dropping some stuff in an interview or two without saying the man's name, and then Kwatt coming back on twitter with some stuff, for a while it seemed a little tense. 

Here they are now, a foursome with DeVaughn, Rush, KWatt and GSB...

xD

He was a part of Grayson overall before 2016 and through 2018.  2019 was the first year he was not involved other than on the periphery.  His wife was part of our group that sat together at the games and I generally saw him after the games on the field with everyone and even would run into them at restaurants in the area.  Once KW Jr along with the rest of the "True 19" graduated he did step back from Grayson although he continued/continues to help kids.  I will tell you he preaches school, school, school, and more school be it Power 5, the rest of D1, D2, JUCO or what.  He wants kids to be prepared for the athletics and use that to leverage an education.  I say this to say I believe he preaches what he believes.  We aren't huge friends or anything, more like a strong acquaintance.  He is connected and he does get kids opportunities they might not otherwise get.

He had more contact than just though Twitter with at least some of the south Georgia kids he was repping.  I know of a couple at Colquitt and a few more at Lowndes and some other south Georgia schools.  I can't and won't say he had contracts with all of them but I can say it wasn't just a casual relationship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

You’re a smart guy. Figure it out. Not that hard. 

@imaGoodBoyNow

A team that needs an OOS game to complete their schedule + playing a “school” that doesn’t even exist with a “team” no one can even confirm has even been assembled = guaranteed win.  

I’m going with “who is St. Peter’s Prep” for $400, Alex.

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2020 at 11:37 PM, badrouter said:

Lakeland is a public high school-a real school, not a fraud masquerading as a school- that's not allowed to openly recruit or house players. So, they don't figure to mess around with the wealthy private schools, much less the poser academies openly recruiting and housing players from around the country.

We are  public school and we've played IMG and some of the power privates.  Being a public doesn't mean you cannot play the others *if* you want to.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fred said:

We are  public school and we've played IMG and some of the power privates.  Being a public doesn't mean you cannot play the others *if* you want to.

Schools operating under rules that prohibit recruiting players shouldn't *want* to play IMG, SFA or any other academy not playing by the same rules.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Fred said:

He was a part of Grayson overall before 2016 and through 2018.  2019 was the first year he was not involved other than on the periphery.  His wife was part of our group that sat together at the games and I generally saw him after the games on the field with everyone and even would run into them at restaurants in the area.  Once KW Jr along with the rest of the "True 19" graduated he did step back from Grayson although he continued/continues to help kids.  I will tell you he preaches school, school, school, and more school be it Power 5, the rest of D1, D2, JUCO or what.  He wants kids to be prepared for the athletics and use that to leverage an education.  I say this to say I believe he preaches what he believes.  We aren't huge friends or anything, more like a strong acquaintance.  He is connected and he does get kids opportunities they might not otherwise get.

He had more contact than just though Twitter with at least some of the south Georgia kids he was repping.  I know of a couple at Colquitt and a few more at Lowndes and some other south Georgia schools.  I can't and won't say he had contracts with all of them but I can say it wasn't just a casual relationship.

The problem that a lot of people I know have with some guys like Kwatt, and even some appear to have similar issues with Rush, is that, these guys are picking and choosing who they want to "rep" or "work harder" for. 

Personally, I understand more than a lot of those folks do, about why some kids get more attention, but, it is a little tough to make people understand why a kid that is already star rated, and getting offers, is the kid that these guys push, when the other kids are the one's that appear to "need" the extra attention. 

Now that they're in a private academy, that stuff will probably not matter, but, in the public school setting, it made them targets. 

21 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

If they want to get better by playing the best, who are you to question their decision. 

The academies are playing by an entirely different set of rules. As such, they've been barred from competing for state association championships, which also means they can't be in a conference/district. They'd be unable to play any games if nobody scheduled them. Or, they'd be relegated to playing a handful of games against similar academies. 

What week does USAA have American Collegiate out of Clearwater scheduled?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Let's hear from one (1) student or parent of a student currently enrolled at USAA. Who are your teachers? (This is where Dusty or GSL pulls a Trump and makes a fake account pretending to be a student). 

This entire USA thing is so sad and pitiful.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, RedZone said:

This entire USA thing is so sad and pitiful.

But, if they persuade enough teenagers who are good at football to sign up ("attend" seems to be a poor choice of words since they have no classrooms to set foot in), they may well end up on TV with a chance to beat another such team. And, that's all that really matters to them, anyway.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badrouter said:

Schools operating under rules that prohibit recruiting players shouldn't *want* to play IMG, SFA or any other academy not playing by the same rules.

I've always heard that playing the best helps make you better.  I can think of several reasons to want to play an academy.  At the basic level, filling a schedule when no one wants to play you (been there, done that.)  Past that, playing someone at the same level or above helps you see how strong you are.  To me, that's really about the only thing rankings do for you.  In each say grouping of 10, can you really differentiate between one and ten that much?  Probably not.  But differentiating between one and a hundred works.  Would you rather play the teams at or above your level or the ones way below?  The ones way below might be nice for a slow week but play them consistently and you won't be ready for the strong teams at the end of the year.

2 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

It’s sad that USA don’t even got any players yet and their still more elite than any team in LilWeezyAnna

That's fucked up. 

I'm sure they have a couple of players at least. Their last names are DeVaughn. You know them kids are in. Rush said no daddy ball, but, how you gonna tell Dusty his kid ain't playing? 

xD 

13 hours ago, badrouter said:

Let's hear from one (1) student or parent of a student currently enrolled at USAA. Who are your teachers? (This is where Dusty or GSL pulls a Trump and makes a fake account pretending to be a student). 

I could so see one of them pulling that.  Especially since they both are like minded folk. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

That's fucked up. 

I'm sure they have a couple of players at least. Their last names are DeVaughn. You know them kids are in. Rush said no daddy ball, but, how you gonna tell Dusty his kid ain't playing? 

xD 

Thats why I Hope Propst knows what he’s doing, what happens if a really good QB enrolls does Propst play the best QB or does he Cave in on his promise and Play Daddy Ball this year