Q&A with USA Academy Chairman, Dustin DeVaughn

PrepGridiron

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Just seems like the plan is not starting from the right spot. Like, to me, they needed to already have the facilities and all near ready before even thinking about starting school up. It all seems kinda half baked really. 

I do think they have some good pieces in place in the coaching/recruiting dept., and a good idea, they're just working it kinda backwards or something. Idk how it's all going to work out for them. 

Well, of course what you say makes sense. But, we've entered into an era, more so than any time in the last few decades, where grifters reign supreme. It's as if people actually want to be taken for a fool. Tell the people you've built it and that it is the best/you are the best. And then they all hop in line to join. Even if everything you said up front was a bold-faced lie. People seem to be enjoying being sold a bill of goods, like taking in a magic show. Sam Harris had Scott Adams on his podcast a year or so ago, and Adams's best claim to explain his and other's support for Trump was that Trump was persuasive, and that that was admirable. Never mind that the persuasion was built on an immense stack of lies. I think that's what Dusty is going for here: Lie to the people, they'll kind of like it, they'll join in, and then we really will be IMG-Alabama.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Well, of course what you say makes sense. But, we've entered into an era, more so than any time in the last few decades, where grifters reign supreme. It's as if people actually want to be taken for a fool. Tell the people you've built it and that it is the best/you are the best. And then they all hop in line to join. Even if everything you said up front was a bold-faced lie. People seem to be enjoying being sold a bill of goods, like taking in a magic show. Sam Harris had Scott Adams on his podcast a year or so ago, and Adams's best claim to explain his and other's support for Trump was that Trump was persuasive, and that that was admirable. Never mind that the persuasion was built on an immense stack of lies. I think that's what Dusty is going for here: Lie to the people, they'll kind of like it, they'll join in, and then we really will be IMG-Alabama.

This sounds just like the Clintons. 

23 minutes ago, badrouter said:

5 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

This sounds just like the Clintons. 

It sounds like most people in or running for political office,  Reb, Dem or Ind, they’re all fucked up. You  just have to decide what part of fucked up your willing to support.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

Playing very good high schools can certainly help a team get better. A little better, anyway. But, by and large, teams are what they are. Venice (Fl) this past season was a good test case:

Date Opponent Result
8/237:30p
(L) 46 - 7
8/307:30p
(W) 44 - 0
Touchdowns Against Cancer Games

9/67:30p
tac-logo-266x224.png
Game Details: @ Trinity Christian Academy
(W) 50 - 49 (2OT)
9/207:30p
tac-logo-266x224.png
(L) 24 - 21Play video icon

9/277:30p
tac-logo-266x224.png
(W) 42 - 7Play video icon

10/47:30p
Game Details: Venice HS, football stadium
(L) 49 - 7Play video icon

10/117:30p
(W) 49 - 6Play video icon

10/187:30p
(W) 48 - 31Play video icon

10/257:30p
(L) 30 - 13Play video icon

11/87:30p
(W) 49 - 0
11/157:00p (W) 62 - 35
11/227:30p (W) 34 - 17Play video icon

11/297:30p (L) 42 - 0

They lost by 39 to IMG, who was absurdly loaded. Because Venice was a pretty good team, they managed win at Jax TCA. They lost by 42 to SFA, who was absurdly loaded. The IMG and SFA games were complete laughers that the team couldn't possibly have learned anything from. Still, as far as high school teams go, Venice was pretty good, notching a seventeen-point win over Cocoa October 18. All pf those games still couldn't help Venice avoid a seventeen-point home loss-in a game for the district title-to Manatee in the regular season finale. Venice turned right back around and won two road playoff games decisively, and then avenged the Manatee loss from a few weeks prior (rematches that were not certainties at the time of the first game almost always favor the team who felt they did poorly the first game). How did all of that help them when they played STA in the playoff game? They lost by 42. Same damn result as the IMG and SFA games. Venice was what they were. Pretty good HS team that simply couldn't match up with the super teams. All the IMG and SFA games did for them was get them "running-clocked" a couple times as they granted games to teams who wouldn't otherwise have had anyone to play. Venice only helped IMG and SFA; they didn't help themselves. 

Playing an academy that operates under an entirely different set of rules, and who may be more loaded with talent than any team that may be a playoff opponent down the road, does a team no good.

Ah, sour grapes!  Explains a lot.  And statistically, no, second game do not favor the team that did poorly the first time.  Maybe Venice wasn't the team you or they thought they were.

3 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Oh, Kenyatta. Your agenda is so obvious...

If you think I'm Kenyatta it shows how little you know.  There are several folks on here that have met me in person and can vouch that we are not the same.  For one thing, I'm older and better looking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Fred said:

If you think I'm Kenyatta it shows how little you know.  There are several folks on here that have met me in person and can vouch that we are not the same.  For one thing, I'm older and better looking.

I can vouch for Fred he is not Kenyatta. We disagree over a few things but unless Kenyatta has become white and looks like Santa or Uncle Jesse you are wrong. Is Grayson still rolling in boys BB? Our girls are now 24-1.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1