Q&A with USA Academy Chairman, Dustin DeVaughn

PrepGridiron

41 minutes ago, The Guru said:

GardenStateBaller is infantile. He responds in the exact way that you would expect a child would.

If someone told me they wanted to go off on their own and start a business I'd say "great!"

But if someone who was an insurance salesman and had no educational experience told me that they were going to start a high school and hire Rush Propst I'd say that's probably irresponsible.

Just because someone can do something doesn't mean that they should.

GardenStateBaller doesn't understand that.

Because he's a cokehead.

Can’t speak to any individual’s drug habits but beyond that this Guru cat is en fuego this evening.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Here in Florida the Legislature is trying to pass a law that would allow Physician's Assistants and Nurses to be General Practitioners.

Which, of course, would drive down the quality of care and discourage people from becoming doctors.

In other words, expertise is overrated. Just let anybody do whatever they want.

It's government by GardenStateBaller.

A worthy read

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

I gotta admit I’m always impressed with your base of knowledge.  For a guy from So. Florida to recognize the GS Tower out of a random pic is pretty damn good.

I wouldn't have known the name of the building, but it's distinctive enough and easily stands out from any elevated vantage point in NYC to know it's in JC. It's a pretty quick ride on the PATH into WTC area.

• Like 1

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

Serious question for you. If you believe everything above, why would Rush get involved with such an outfit? 

That's an incredibly easy question to answer. Rush was fired, with cause, from his last position at a public school in Georgia. He very likely would not have been able or even allowed to find a job in that state. He resigned in shame, under tremendous controversy, from the previous position he held. His career was OVER. This is the only kind of gig he could get hired for. And this one figures to  be a gig where he can control EVERYTHING, and not have to worry about an annoying principal or school board looking into burdensome matters such as academic classes, grade validation, etc. Dusty will let him have everything exactly as he wants it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I just have a hard time believing that RP would take this job unless he thought it had security and staying power.  

And you continue to miss the point both myself and guru have been trying to make. His career as a paid, fully employed coach was all but over. If he wanted to coach, to get another shot at getting his mug on TV as a head coach again, his ONLY potential option was to sign on with Dusty on you. There were no other options.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 11:09 PM, HooverOutlaw said:

I can vouch for Fred he is not Kenyatta. We disagree over a few things but unless Kenyatta has become white and looks like Santa or Uncle Jesse you are wrong. Is Grayson still rolling in boys BB? Our girls are now 24-1.

Boys BB still rolling.  There is/was a game tonight against Shiloh that was a big one.  I don't as yet know the outcome.  I'll find out shortly and let you know.

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

We currently live in a forgiving society of second, third and fourth chances. I never thought his career was all but over, especially down South where hsfb is so important.

I can’t help but root these pioneers on. They certainly have a tough road ahead. At least their inaugural schedule is complete. My job is done. 

He had many chances at both Hoover and Colquitt. Colquitt was a second chance of sorts for him. And then he had multiple chances while there. He's on film headbutting a kid and ending up with a massive, bloody gash on his forehead, but wasn't fired for that. He would have had a very hard time finding another head coaching position, especially at a school with enough resources to play on a national scale.

For "these pioneers" to make this work, they'll need to assemble (or stay in business long enough for others to assemble) a true national network of academies operating this way. Traditional high schools figure to be willing to play them very rarely.

55 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Only time will tell. In just a few weeks I was able to assemble one of the toughest schedules in America for them comprised of 9 privates and one public. 8/10 ranked in the T300. If they go .500 in Year One, it'll be considered a huge accomplishment.  

In the whole wide world 6 people care...

18 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Same here. If you have your facilities it makes sense. This thing is half baked, and, I'll honestly be surprised if they ever build a building. They may do it, but, I'll be surprised. I'll stick with the ECA model as to what this will turn out to be, and as soon as some certain kids are gone through, the money will be gone too. 

I figure Dustin is rushing it to get his family members on the team before they're too old. Idk that, but, it doesn't make much sense to start in this apparently rushed fashion. 

That's what I really don't get.  Why the Rush?  Pun intended. 

• Haha 3

On 1/24/2020 at 3:13 PM, Hardcore Troubador said:

Reminds me of that movie “Mystery Alaska”.   

This is the USAA Auto Insurance version of playing “pond hockey”.  

Then “Inner City” Coach Hansen’s gonna swoop in and demand they paint lines and put up goalposts and fancy shit like that before they play...

“We can skate ... “

• Haha 1