Q&A with USA Academy Chairman, Dustin DeVaughn

PrepGridiron

35 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Why get a company that it’s take 8 hours round trip to deliver concrete, your cheapest bid is gonna be a concrete company in Montgomery, we’re talking Hundreds of thousands on tons of concrete 

Materials would obviously be sourced from a local vendor. Use a little common sense for once.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

It normally takes several years for the state to build new schools after being hit by a tornado.  They will bring  in temporary school rooms/mobile homes till new school is ready.

If they are only planning to educate a small number of students, the project will not take nearly as long to complete. They will not have the need to accommodate 3,000 students nor have the constant roadblocks associated with a state or school district funded project.

1-2 years is feasible. 9 months is a huge leap of faith.

1 hour ago, Exocet 98 said:

Are you doing your takeoff off a stamped set of blueprints? 

Man, the bullshit-o-meter has been pegged on this stuff for days already. 

That thing is pegged and bouncing and today and I expect the needle or peg to break soon. Lucky for these guys nobody reads or participates on here outside of us national level football  nerds, or, they'd be in damage control big time. 

Normal courses of operation apparently are nothing to this group.

Normally, as you have pointed out, there is a tentative set of plans drawn by an architect, then stamped and presented to the proper authorities for approval via city council, county commission, planning and development, or whatever entity handles zoning and ordinances for the jurisdiction. (As an aside, you just can't up and build a school or stadium just anywhere. Lol. Normally there has to have been meetings and notices to the public about potential zoning changes and the like for the property in question.) Then, upon at least feeling confident of approval by said entities, a general contractor or multiple general contractors are contacted by, in this case, USA Academy or Dustin dba as USA Academy or whatever the thing is, for bids, and these general contractors then contact their subcontractors(usually they have relationships with particular subs they know and trust for prices and workmanship). Sometimes the generals have been in relationships with their subs long enough that they feel comfortable quoting a project without first contacting their subs but, when there are deadlines, especially tight ones, these subs must be contacted to be sure these stringent deadlines can be met... Anyway, this process for a project the size we are discussing on here today is painstaking and long. Estimators pour over the architects plans, and often send the architect (who usually dictates brands and types of materials in the stamped plans) anyway, they often send him something called submittals in order to request approvals for changes on various material brands etc. for approval before giving a hard quote on the project. 

If this general contractor does happen to make the quote with approved submittals, then and only then are subcontractors hired, and not by PGL, but, by the general contractor who will ultimately be responsible for the job, deadlines being met and inspections being passed. 

These guys aren't going to be "winging" a project this size. Not even as simple as just the stadium and related infrastructure. Not when kids are going to be using the fields and buildings. 

It's ridiculous to see the thing being doubled down on. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

That thing is pegged and bouncing and today and I expect the needle or peg to break soon. Lucky for these guys nobody reads or participates on here outside of us national level football  nerds, or, they'd be in damage control big time. 

Normal courses of operation apparently are nothing to this group.

Normally, as you have pointed out, there is a tentative set of plans drawn by an architect, then stamped and presented to the proper authorities for approval via city council, county commission, planning and development, or whatever entity handles zoning and ordinances for the jurisdiction. (As an aside, you just can't up and build a school or stadium just anywhere. Lol. Normally there has to have been meetings and notices to the public about potential zoning changes and the like for the property in question.) Then, upon at least feeling confident of approval by said entities, a general contractor or multiple general contractors are contacted by, in this case, USA Academy or Dustin dba as USA Academy or whatever the thing is, for bids, and these general contractors then contact their subcontractors(usually they have relationships with particular subs they know and trust for prices and workmanship). Sometimes the generals have been in relationships with their subs long enough that they feel comfortable quoting a project without first contacting their subs but, when there are deadlines, especially tight ones, these subs must be contacted to be sure these stringent deadlines can be met... Anyway, this process for a project the size we are discussing on here today is painstaking and long. Estimators pour over the architects plans, and often send the architect (who usually dictates brands and types of materials in the stamped plans) anyway, they often send him something called submittals in order to request approvals for changes on various material brands etc. for approval before giving a hard quote on the project. 

If this general contractor does happen to make the quote with approved submittals, then and only then are subcontractors hired, and not by PGL, but, by the general contractor who will ultimately be responsible for the job, deadlines being met and inspections being passed. 

These guys aren't going to be "winging" a project this size. Not even as simple as just the stadium and related infrastructure. Not when kids are going to be using the fields and buildings. 

What if they hire all of the players to help build it as a way to get a bigger discount on tuition.  He could have 1300 teen football players working on it 24/7.

Just now, AztecPadre said:

What if they hire all of the players to help build it as a way to get a bigger discount on tuition.  He could have 1300 teen football players working on it 24/7.

These types of facilities, especially a football stadium that not only will support kids as players on a field, but, also have bleachers for the general public will have to meet stringent safety measures. I could see a possibility of kids over 18 being on the project as general labor, to learn or whatever, but, insurance, like workers compensation and general liability is a must for a project like this. These things are the reason why general contractors make big money to handle these projects. 

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

These types of facilities, especially a football stadium that not only will support kids as players on a field, but, also have bleachers for the general public will have to meet stringent safety measures. I could see a possibility of kids over 18 being on the project as general labor, to learn or whatever, but, insurance, like workers compensation and general liability is a must for a project like this. These things are the reason why general contractors make big money to handle these projects. 

There's ways around all the legal garbage. 

11 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Normal courses of operation are nothing to this group.

You have just really embarrassed yourself and know very little about a development flow chartt. LOL!!!

Document.thumb.jpeg.62255fae667e5cac054b5a5b0e18a2bc.jpeg

This is a generic flow chart I just googled and found on the interwebs. I don't see many differences from what I said. I skipped over environmental impacts and the like. Other than that...?

This flow chart doesn't include steps that a general contractor may or may not take ie. subs and quotes, estimations etc. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Document.thumb.jpeg.62255fae667e5cac054b5a5b0e18a2bc.jpeg

This is a generic flow chart I just googled and found on the interwebs. I don't see many differences from what I said. I skipped over environmental impacts and the like. Other than that...?

This flow chart doesn't include steps that a general contractor may or may not take ie. subs and quotes, estimations etc. 

You skipped over ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS?????

Dammit Hawgie!!!!

BGW

• Haha 1

Perhaps the general contractor has already been contacted and given quotes ahead of the concept plans being submitted to the jusrisdictional planning dept.? I suppose that could be the case, and may well be, due to the planning dept. needing potential valuations for the development plans. 

I'm admittedly no developer. 

Anyway, if that's the case, and we are learning today that concrete guys are being approached just recently, then we know for a fact this thing hasn't reached any city, state, county or planning and development desks yet. 

But, we are supposed to believe this thing will be built by next August. 

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Again, why would RP be involved if he already knows none of what was discussed at his presser yesterday will come to fruition? Is he that desperate for a paycheck even if for a few months? 

Idk dude, it's why I was asking questions. Lol. 

I thought that's why we do q&a sessions, to ask questions and learn. I can only make assumptions if I don't ask questions and get answers. I didn't get answers so, here I am left to make assumptions. No?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

You should become more of a trusting person. Life’s better that way ;) 

I'm very cynical about things like this. Especially when things aren't appearing to add up. 

I'm left to make the assumption that this entire thing is just a concept and in need of sponsors and money at this point. They're trying to build a team on the promise of the concept coming to fruition, but, I feel like they still need many things to all come together ahead of it, including the kids to sign on to play. All of this apparently needs to happen at once, given the time constraints, which, imo, kind of makes the sales pitch to the families a little bit unscrupulous. 

The gentleman has not lied though. He just crafts his statements in a manner so as to be general enough to buy credibility and help the sales pitch, and avoids the questions that could pin him in a potential lie. 

That's my general feel. It could be totally off base. I see him as a salesman trying to sell a product that doesn't yet exist. I mean, people probably will buy. I've even seen invisible goldfish sold on ebay. xD

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I trust him because he’s a salesman and you’re wary of him for that same reason. Classic. 

I don't mind a salesman that shows up with a product to sell. I may buy a Kirby vacuum cleaner after the salesman throws ashes and dirt on the floor and shows me the product work. 

The issue I have with this particular sell is the lack of any product that I can see in action. If they were saying they have the intent on building brick and mortar dorms, classrooms, stadium and facilities, some time in the future, but, for now they're going to be an online studies school playing ball wherever they can cultivate relationships to use their fields, I'd be much less apt to have issue with the pitch. 

Hasn’t GSB stated, on multiple occasions, that he only works with top-250 teams?  Or something like that?  And that’s a valuable service.  But why the sudden rush then to try and make schools like Life Christian, USAA Auto Insurance, Bishop Fakeamore, a thing?  They’re top-250?  Hell some of them aren’t even actual schools!

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

In this particular situation, the students need to be enrolled/recruited first before any structure can be built. You can't get to B without A first. It's different with public schools where the students are being plentifully supplied.

Man, Idk. Why not just be honest in the sales pitch then? That's the point I've been on. 

We are out here telling families that this thing is gonna happen. It's gonna start in a couple of weeks, construction and everything. All in the hopes of getting cash flow coming in sooner than later apparently. Then after you get this stuff coming in, you can start changing your story to say whatever about contruction delays and all, because you already have these folks money. Once people have sent kids in from 31 states and countries, along with money, they're stuck like hell.

This type of stuff is not right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Hasn’t GSB stated, on multiple occasions, that he only works with top-250 teams?  Or something like that?  And that’s a valuable service.  But why the sudden rush then to try and make schools like Life Christian, USAA Auto Insurance, Bishop Fakeamore, a thing?  They’re top-250?  Hell some of them aren’t even actual schools!

Technically they only need to be top 250 when signing as clients

• Haha 2