Q&A with USA Academy Chairman, Dustin DeVaughn

PrepGridiron

16 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

At the end of the Day Rush put his name and reputation on the line, maybe there’s stuff we don’t know , Do you think Rush would sign up and bring in coaches from colquit if this wasn’t really being built 

He is an extremely successful football coach. No doubt.

Aside from football, and considering other aspects of life...do you think he really "gets it?"

19 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'll deposit this here...

https://theusaacademy.com/2020/01/586/

Public Statement Regarding Zoning Issues Reported

First off, I want to say “thank you” to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, for allowing us to come this far with USA Academy and we are excited about the future to be carried out by His will. It has been and forever will be in His hands.

I also want to publicly welcome Coach Rush Propst as the Founding Head Football Coach at USA Academy.

I want to say thank you to the Mayor, Clerk, and Town Council of Coosada. They have been very helpful and receptive throughout this entire process. Council members have reached out these last 48 hours expressing their excitement from the publicity of the project and the potential for us to help the town’s desperate financial needs.

I also want to thank all of the incredible people locally and from across the country for the thousands of messages, emails, phone calls, and more in support of USA Academy and our mission ahead. In turn, I want to express my disappointment in the very few people that have been attempting to impede the positive impact that we are working toward for tomorrow’s younger generation of student athletes, as well as the positive economic development that our area desperately needs. I understand that we live in a perfectly imperfect world and people make mistakes (trust me I have made plenty of them), but we hope to see the very few that are critical make a turn to understand the positive that we are bringing to the student athletes that are ready to perform on a national stage. We plan to work diligently with all involved to come up with a solution that best fits everyone in the most positive way possible.

Now, we all know the media loves good drama, so this story should help them sell papers or put out more “click bait” content in an attempt to gain readership, and I am sure they will skew the story and/or use partial pieces to meet their narratives, or to fit whatever agenda they see would be best for readership rather than layout the entire story.

Lastly, I want to address the misleading, half written, and controversial story reported by our local media.

On December 11, 2019, I presented USA Academy to the Town Council of Coosada. The meeting was incredible and the Town Council was excited about the opportunity to have such a large economic project brought to the community. Each council member was given the opportunity to ask any questions regarding the project and I gladly answered. I think the number one question was, “How will this project financially benefit the Town of Coosada?” To which my answer was based around the economic impact of IMG Academy, a similar based school located in Bradenton, FL. IMG yielded a $517,000,000 economic impact in a study done in 2013, based on 2012 statistics alone. Source: https://www.bradenton.com/opinion/editorials/article34578234.html

During this meeting, the council members were given a packet that clearly displayed the identifying property and no issues were brought to my attention with zoning between that time and December 30. On December 29, 2019 the news story broke about the hiring of Coach Rush Propst, which led to a media frenzy during this past week.

On December 30, 2019, I was contacted by a property owner that is located near, but not touching our desired location, requesting some information. This particular property owner said they were very concerned about traffic coming in on the easement to our property and its effects on their property. This particular citizen did, however, offer herself a board position with USA Academy and asked for me to build a “New York Central Park” style facility for her to run in and for the Coosada community to utilize. If I did this she would not become an issue for our project. This property owner also boasted their previous positions within the State’s Economic Development system and explained they would voice their objections to the traffic issue to slow down or stop the project unless the demands were met. I politely advised this citizen that I would take the demands under advisement and I would get back to them. Heck, I even thought the Central Park idea wasn’t too bad…

On December 31, 2019, I was notified of an issue via email by the Town of Coosada. Within an hour or so of this email, I was at the Town with the clerk seeking answers and solutions. I worked with her (in person) and the Mayor (via phone) to find out what steps needed to be taken to allow the school to continue with our scheduled dates. The solution seemed resolved once I left the Town Admin building and the town had sent some information over to the regional planning commission. I was notified that we should have a resolution once Catherine (I am not sure of the spelling) returned to the office on Monday from the holidays. At this point, this still was not an alarming issue. I did request for the mayor to call a town hall and allow citizens to come and ask questions and display their concerns of the project. (He seemed open to the idea but it has yet to be granted)

On January 2, 2020, we held a press conference to announce the Head Football Coach for our varsity program that would allow our coaches to begin the recruiting process and working with our players that are already committed to the football program. We also announced that we would start taking students for football and cheer for an academic start date of January 20 and also planned to have temporary buildings brought in next week (January 6-10). We also went on the discuss our digital education platform and getting these student athletes acclimated to the digital learning environment.

Once the press conference, parent/student athlete meetings, and individual press interviews concluded, I was contacted by the town again; I went back to visit with them. This was the first time that I knew there was an issue with rezoning for the school building BUT that NO REZONING would be needed for any of the sports projects because AFR zoning allows for outdoor recreational because this need is not in the category of “not permitted.” However, it is conditional. The mayor was contacted via phone by me and the town clerk, but he did not answer and did not return the call. Once again, I was told that we were awaiting the return of Catherine on Monday before any other steps could be taken. Also once again, I asked for an emergency town hall to be called to address the concerns of the citizens of Coosada and the town clerk agreed that it would be a good idea.

This is when I activated the back up plan of relocating on other land up the road that we already have access to-if needed-that is not located within the town limits. This plan is still in place if the need arises.

On January 3, Coach Propst and I were in meetings preparing for our recruiting launch most of the day and the last meetings we planned was with Coosada’s Police Chief and dedicated police staff. During this meeting, we spoke about the need of this project to help with resources for the town’s police and fire departments. These men that put their lives on the line to protect this small community expressed their support and offered their help to ensure the project was not taken away from the town and moved to a property located outside of the town’s jurisdiction. We spoke with the Mayor via phone regarding these issues and-once again-I was told that we were awaiting Catherine on Monday but to prepare some paperwork the clerk had given me to turn in the planning commission.

After that last meeting, I was made aware of an article put out by local news and I noticed a text from the writer from earlier in the day buried within the 70+ text messages that I had received during these meetings. I also had a text message from a great friend of mine from another media outlet about the article. I reached out to the writer from Elmore/Autuaga news, but she was driving and did not have her notepad handy and told me she would call me back in 15 minutes. So, I returned a request from another media outlet and we discussed the issue and I told him that I was going to create an official response not based on an angered emotion of a half written story that did not take the time to get both sides. Once I got off the call, I called the  Elmore/Autuaga news writer again and made her aware of the above issues that were unreported. Things got heated as we left that call with disagreed terms based on her version of partial facts, which did not and could not include all the facts because they had not spoken to me.

What this story has done is open the possibility of us moving the school from the Town of Coosada and costing the town tens of thousands of dollars in permit fees and administrative fees, plus could cost them millions of dollars in economic development impact if we decided to move the project. Moving down the road does nothing but benefit us to save us money with all of these fees and future tax revenue but at the least would still bring the benefits of Coosada enjoying good high school athletics.

So, here we are, finally at the conclusion of this botched media story that was released to the public with half the story and half the information. It seems we live in a society that is more important to break a story first than it is to get all the facts together from all sides involved. I stand FIRM in my statement that USA Academy will not be delayed from playing football in fall 2020, and we will always follow proper procedural steps to follow local, state, and federal code. Yes, we are enrolling students online and will be able to service these students with the best education available as we prepare for our Spring sports programs and fall preparation.

Dustin DeVaughn
USA Academy Founder

It is now clear, with this "public statement", that USA Academy is indeed going to be the Fyre Fest of pre-college (it's not going to be a high school) sports. We know this because we can see the founder is incompetent. He's a wannabe Trumpster. He opens with a full paragraph of Jesus talk, as if he has some special line to Jesus and Jesus wants USA Academy to find glory. And he opines at length about how bad the media is and how they're out to get him. Lame Trump copycat garbage. He was only missing some references to the 2nd amendment and also could have taken a shot at the entire state of California.

Anyone seeing USA Academy as possible competitors and who wish to uncover problems with them can do the following:

- Examine in detail the "digital learning environment" he speaks of. There are indeed many powerful digital tools which can be great for students, but those also need to be paired with competent teachers and school administrators. Look closely at the program(s) they say they will use AND look at how they are actually implemented and by whom. It's a very good bet you can find a sham in the works. 

- Examine in detail the ways USA Academy will ostensibly provide an economic boost to the local economy. (Wait, I thought the economy was doing GREAT, especially in the heart of Trumpistan and the accompanying trickle down economics?!?). Don't just take their word for it.

- Poke the bear. Meaning, try to provoke this Dustin character. It shouldn't take much to get him to spill the beans and tell everyone how much he hates the Democrats and loves Trump. What percentage of top high school athletes love Trump? Get him on the record on this and it will turn a lot of otherwise credulous families off.

27 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

At the end of the Day Rush put his name and reputation on the line, maybe there’s stuff we don’t know , Do you think Rush would sign up and bring in coaches from colquit if this wasn’t really being built 

Oh, they'll play ball, but, it will be like I said before... ECA 2.0. At least for now. 

If I had a kid playing ball and being recruited to go there, there is a lot of questions still. 

Weight room? Even in the short term with modulars and all... Where will they lift? Where will they eat? Where will they sleep? 

When you're showing those pictures and saying all the stuff that was said about starting construction and stuff, without being forthcoming about which construction and all, and then it comes to light you have no idea wtf you're doing as it pertains to even getting that off the ground... Idk. I'm not saying they intended on taking money and not providing the football program, but, totally misleading man. Totally. They're supposed to say, "this is what we are looking to become, but, today, we are looking to build a team to be the inaugural team to help us get this off the ground. This year we'll be using x-field and lifting at planet fitness and dining at papa johns. Staying at Elmore ridge apartments on a lease agreement.  

Something like that. xD

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Oh, they'll play ball, but, it will be like I said before... ECA 2.0. At least for now. 

If I had a kid playing ball and being recruited to go there, there is a lot of questions still. 

Weight room? Even in the short term with modulars and all... Where will they lift? Where will they eat? Where will they sleep? 

When you're showing those pictures and saying all the stuff that was said about starting construction and stuff, without being forthcoming about which construction and all, and then it comes to light you have no idea wtf you're doing as it pertains to even getting that off the ground... Idk. I'm not saying they intended on taking money and not providing the football program, but, totally misleading man. Totally. They're supposed to say, "this is what we are looking to become, but, today, we are looking to build a team to be the inaugural team to help us get this off the ground. This year we'll be using x-field and lifting at planet fitness and dining at papa johns. Staying at Elmore ridge apartments on a lease agreement.  

Something like that. xD

Hawg are you interested in becoming a USA board member 

I know a guy who knows a guy that @AztecPadre friend used to know

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, badrouter said:

It is now clear, with this "public statement", that USA Academy is indeed going to be the Fyre Fest of pre-college (it's not going to be a high school) sports. We know this because we can see the founder is incompetent. He's a wannabe Trumpster. He opens with a full paragraph of Jesus talk, as if he has some special line to Jesus and Jesus wants USA Academy to find glory. And he opines at length about how bad the media is and how they're out to get him. Lame Trump copycat garbage. He was only missing some references to the 2nd amendment and also could have taken a shot at the entire state of California.

Anyone seeing USA Academy as possible competitors and who wish to uncover problems with them can do the following:

- Examine in detail the "digital learning environment" he speaks of. There are indeed many powerful digital tools which can be great for students, but those also need to be paired with competent teachers and school administrators. Look closely at the program(s) they say they will use AND look at how they are actually implemented and by whom. It's a very good bet you can find a sham in the works. 

- Examine in detail the ways USA Academy will ostensibly provide an economic boost to the local economy. (Wait, I thought the economy was doing GREAT, especially in the heart of Trumpistan and the accompanying trickle down economics?!?). Don't just take their word for it.

- Poke the bear. Meaning, try to provoke this Dustin character. It shouldn't take much to get him to spill the beans and tell everyone how much he hates the Democrats and loves Trump. What percentage of top high school athletes love Trump? Get him on the record on this and it will turn a lot of otherwise credulous families off.

Every word that comes from this clown screams huckster.

• Appeals to God
  • Arguments suited to the ignorant and credulous
  • Attacks on the media for merely reporting the news

The cherry on top of this sundae is the fact that @GardenStateBaller is all-in and carrying this bozo's water.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Tell us about where Rush was coaching at the time of the USA offer? How was that job going?

Oh wait...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Guru said:

• Appeals to God

The cherry on top of this sundae is the fact that @GardenStateBaller is all-in and carrying this bozo's water.

We can be certain he can win a lot of political elections with this approach. I just hope kids/families see through it and stay away.

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Hawg are you interested in becoming a USA board member 

I know a guy who knows a guy that @AztecPadre friend used to know

I've been playing a bit of a contrarian on this, but, I don't care if they make a school and play football over there. 

The sales pitch has always been my issue, from day one. If you go and read the first thread about this thing you'll see me being excited for Rush, and then, as details started coming to light, you will notice my views on how they're doing it come to light. 

9 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

If there building a 14 million dollar campus around rush Propst I’m sure he was getting offers, 

and he was coaching at UAB this year, you should know that

This is to whom they are hitching their wagons. 

That his boy let him be a "volunteer consultant" doesn't mean he was "coaching". In fact, I believe volunteer consultants are explicitly banned from doing any coaching.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Guru said:

• Appeals to God

These are GSB's words. Just like "I'm assisting...to secure the concrete bid" and "we only work with..." 

Hell, the USA Academy guy struggled mightily with locating the huge "Reply to this topic" box and/or the equally as prominent "Submit Reply" button when participating in the Q&A. He ain't doing his own writing of that public statement.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Every Consultant I know makes a killing 

with all that money he owes ur nuts if you think he just worked the last year for free

He wasn't THAT kind of consultant. He was a volunteer, not allowed to coach players.

His rationale for being a volunteer would be: a) he was just fired for cause, meaning not merely a whimsical decision based on not winning enough. This may mean he would not be able to obtain a certficated (i.e. teaching) job in public education in Georgia-it does mean that in California, for example. And, b) he could partially rehabilitate his reputation by getting a positive recommendation working as a volunteer that may pay off for him...down the road. Not in the season that just ended. A program like UAB doesn't have the funds to compensate people listed as volunteers. Although maybe Bill Clark bought him a smoothie or two.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badrouter said:

He wasn't THAT kind of consultant. He was a volunteer, not allowed to coach players.

His rationale for being a volunteer would be: a) he was just fired for cause, meaning not merely a whimsical decision based on not winning enough. This may mean he would not be able to obtain a certficated (i.e. teaching) job in public education in Georgia-it does mean that in California, for example. And, b) he could partially rehabilitate his reputation by getting a positive recommendation working as a volunteer that may pay off for him...down the road. Not in the season that just ended. A program like UAB doesn't have the funds to compensate people listed as volunteers. Although maybe Bill Clark bought him a smoothie or two.

UAB's problem is they have more Doctors as alumni than anybody that plays football but they are all Alabama fans.  

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm curious as to how many people believe what this guy is now saying? That he didn't know stuff about stuff or whatever. 

In other news USA  just added an Olympic Water Polo Coach 

now that’s gonna be a tough sell,,,,trying to recruit kids from around the country to play water polo in Coosada Alabama 

I think the intention to do something positive is there,  but from an execution standpoint, I would not be confident at all that this goes as designed.  In fact I would be equal parts shocked and impressed if that were to happen.  The poor unintended consequence if it doesn’t work out might be drawing disadvantaged, potentially talented youth to this place and not getting them a satisfactory high school level education.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Auburn people involved in this some way.

Too bad none of them were construction consultants or real estate attorneys! 

Christ almighty this thing. Pretty sure the recent newspaper story over there has him apparently dropping back to punt on his construction starting promises.