Sign in to follow this  
thc6795

1 hour ago, thc6795 said:

Fantastic movie bro

I'm stoked! The trailers that I've seen look like it's a great movie. If you like it, I know it's good. I'm going to check it out tomorrowūüĎć

• Like 1

Saw this over the weekend.

Pretty powerful.

I've studied/read military history for much of my life, and the scary thing is that this movie barely scratches the surface of the horrors of WWI fighting.

A great thing is that they got things right, such as the differences between the German and British trenches.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, concha said:

Saw this over the weekend.

Pretty powerful.

I've studied/read military history for much of my life, and the scary thing is that this movie barely scratches the surface of the horrors of  WWI fighting.

A great thing is that they got things right, such as the differences between the German and British trenches.

WWI was brutal. There was so much close quarter combat, hand to hand. Nothing like today where you just push a button and poof. Not to mention the chemical warfare as well. 

10 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

WWI was brutal. There was so much close quarter combat, hand to hand. Nothing like today where you just push a button and poof. Not to mention the chemical warfare as well. 

It was awful.

Due to the protection afforded by the trenches, offensives were preceded by hours and days of intense bombardments. It drove men mad. Then, as you mention, the horrors of gas.

The bombardments often did little to nothing to truly soften defenses as the defenders would hunker down in dugouts. Barbed wire generally stayed intact. Once the bombardment lifted, the defenders all ran out and set themselves up. Machine gun positions had preset arcs of fire to mow down attacking forces.  I've read of situations in WWI where the defenders waved and yelled at the attackers to go back so they wouldn't have to continue to slaughter them.

Throw in the mud, dead bodies, rats, sewage, disease in the age before antibiotics...

Truly horrific.

The French lost about 900 men on average each and every day of the war. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, concha said:

It was awful.

Due to the protection afforded by the trenches, offensives were preceded by hours and days of intense bombardments. It drove men mad. Then, as you mention, the horrors of gas.

The bombardments often did little to nothing to truly soften defenses as the defenders would hunker down in dugouts. Barbed wire generally stayed intact. Once the bombardment lifted, the defenders all ran out and set themselves up. Machine gun positions had preset arcs of fire to mow down attacking forces.  I've read of situations in WWI where the defenders waved and yelled at the attackers to go back so they wouldn't have to continue to slaughter them.

Throw in the mud, dead bodies, rats, sewage, disease in the age before antibiotics...

Truly horrific.

Have you seen Legends of the Fall? It is not a WWI movie however there is about 15 mins of WWI action. I thought they got it right in this movie as well. 

• Like 1

I am planning to see this (and I rarely go to movies).  Some have said was the best depiction of war since the first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, concha said:

It was awful.

Truly horrific.

The French have never recovered their ability to fight.  Verdun took it from them forever.  Understandably so

5 minutes ago, Bormio said:

The Europeans had observers during the American Civil War - and learned nothing

I don’t know much about WW1 but am an ardent reader of Civil War history.  It’s so true how little they learned.  Petersburg was a horror that eerily presaged the stalemate on the western front 50 years later.  And that was before repeating rifles, machine guns, etc. were commonplace.

8 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

I don’t know much about WW1 but am an ardent reader of Civil War history.  It’s so true how little they learned.  Petersburg was a horror that eerily presaged the stalemate on the western front 50 years later.  And that was before repeating rifles, machine guns, etc. were commonplace.

Repeating rifles were around way before WW1

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Repeating rifles were around way before WW1

The Spencer, the Henry, etc.  I know.  My point was that before they were commonplace there was a preview of the horrors of trench warfare.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

The Spencer, the Henry, etc.  I know.  My point was that before they were commonplace there was a preview of the horrors of trench warfare.

Trench warfare was hell

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, concha said:

It was awful.

Truly horrific.

Concha any recommendations for a good history book (or books) about the war?  It’s a time period I know very little about.

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Trench warfare was hell

Worse. Like conch said they (both sides) were hit day after day with artillary driving you mad. All you could do is hunker down and hope it missed you. Then after days of artillary strikes th powers that be wd call for an attack. which basicaly meant you exposed youreslf to machine gun fire and died. Then the gas would come. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Worse. Like conch said they (both sides) were hit day after day with artillary driving you mad. All you could do is hunker down and hope it missed you. Then after days of artillary strikes th powers that be wd call for an attack. which basicaly meant you exposed youreslf to machine gun fire and died. Then the gas would come. 

Yep