thc6795

1 hour ago, Bormio said:

John Keegan is a very good historical writer - has a book The First World War.  For a more personal view (written by a German soldier), All is Quiet on the Western Front is a classic

Agree on Keegan

Also, it's not WWI, but Len Deighton's book Blood, Tears and Folly is a really interesting look at all kinds of aspects of WWII.

Just saw it. Absolutely a fantastic movie. VERY well done. What was really cool is that there was no cutting to other scenes...it was one long scene with the main characters in every scene in some way. Fuck...I hate to say it, but somebody in Pervertwood got it right with this one. Creative, emotion-provoking (no I didn't cry😥), and entertaining. A epic take on the ghastliness of being in the trenches in WW1. This movie gets a hand salute.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Anyone remember Rowdy Roddy ? LOL  I just happened to see a clip from this today...

"They Live"  (1988 came after 1984 lol )

Best line:  "I came here to chew bubble gum, and kick some azz.....and I'm all out of gum"  🤣

This odd movie seems more relevant today...  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

The first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan was the most intense I've ever seen

I saw it on opening day and there were lot of tears in that theatre after. Half the crowd just sat there a few minutes when it was over. Several older gentlemen there. I assumed veterans as it really hit them. 

12 hours ago, Bormio said:

our Civil War was the first war of the 20th Century.

True.

Ironically, European military observers came over to see what was happening.

It was the first major war that included widespread usage of long-range rifled firearms, repeating arms, saw the mass use of trains for transport and the telegraph for communication. War became industrialized. 

The advancement in the armament of the foot soldier was the big difference. Earlier unrifled musketry couldn't hit the broadside of a battleship. Hence the use of mass discharges by long rows of men at close range.  The Civil War saw the introduction of massed rifle-equipped troop formations and the introduction of the minie ball.  Effective engagement ranges of 50-100 yards now became 500 yards. Old Napoleonic era tactics turned to (even greater) slaughter.

My father used to have a minie ball found at Vicksburg.  Massive.  For comparison, the typical AR-15/M4 round used by our military today is a 5.56mm (.223) round of about 62 grains.  A typical minie ball used in the Civil War was .58 caliber (over 2.5x what our troops now use) and a whopping ~500 grains (or a round about 7.5x the weight).  Granted, it was moving much slower than today's bullets, but you were effectively being hit with a cannon round in comparison. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, concha said:

True.

Ironically, European military observers came over to see what was happening.

It was the first major war that included widespread usage of long-range rifled firearms, repeating arms, saw the mass use of trains for transport and the telegraph for communication. War became industrialized. 

The advancement in the armament of the foot soldier was the big difference. Earlier unrifled musketry couldn't hit the broadside of a battleship. Hence the use of mass discharges by long rows of men at close range.  The Civil War saw the introduction of massed rifle-equipped troop formations and the introduction of the minie ball.  Effective engagement ranges of 50-100 yards now became 500 yards. Old Napoleonic era tactics turned to (even greater) slaughter.

My father used to have a minie ball found at Vicksburg.  Massive.  For comparison, the typical AR-15/M4 round used by our military today is a 5.56mm (.223) round of about 62 grains.  A typical minie ball used in the Civil War was .58 caliber (over 2.5x what our troops now use) and a whopping ~500 grains (or a round about 7.5x the weight).  Granted, it was moving much slower than today's bullets, but you were effectively being hit with a cannon round in comparison. 

These kids being torn to pieces. Then you add the  lack  of knowledge in the medical field. These kids were having arms and legs cut off for a flesh wound. or dying because of infection. Had to be worse then hell.