thc6795

On 1/14/2020 at 3:18 PM, Troll said:

Anyone remember Rowdy Roddy ? LOL  I just happened to see a clip from this today...

"They Live"  (1988 came after 1984 lol )

Best line:  "I came here to chew bubble gum, and kick some azz.....and I'm all out of gum"  🤣

This odd movie seems more relevant today...  

The fight scene with Keith David is as long as some moves 😂

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 6:18 PM, Troll said:

Anyone remember Rowdy Roddy ? LOL  I just happened to see a clip from this today...

"They Live"  (1988 came after 1984 lol )

Best line:  "I came here to chew bubble gum, and kick some azz.....and I'm all out of gum"  🤣

This odd movie seems more relevant today...  

I saw a reference to this movie on a website comments section, checked Netflix, which didn't have it available, and then some days later stumbled on to it when it was on.

It's cult classic.  Effects back then were basic.  The actors were B-movie actors.  But what made it enjoyable for me was that it's on to something.  (Even Huxley & Orwell & Bradbury couldn't predict our dystopian world to the T.)  If you get this, you might better understand the anger.

Must see.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:52 PM, Testadura said:

you've got to be kidding.  that was 1918

The flu originated in northern China in late 1917. 

It seems to me that a great tale could be woven of it's inception. I know I would find that more interesting than another account of all the suffering and death. That has all been well covered. 

Off subject, I have been pondering Kantian ethics the last few days. Such mental doodling reminds me of you, lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

It seems to me that a great tale could be woven of it's inception. I know I would find that more interesting than another account of all the suffering and death. That has all been well covered. 

Off subject, I have been pondering Kantian ethics the last few days. Such mental doodling reminds me of you, lol. 

the epidemic was in 1918

so you want to switch out one "suffering and death" for another.  Hollywood made those movies, and I guess they don't sell.  dying in quiet by an unknown, silent killer can't compete with bravery along with the best and worst humanity has to offer

Kant was a bit more than a mental doodler.  he was your creator.  when you hit your knees every night to thank Joe Pseci or the sun, say thanks to Kant, too, for his desire for a perpetual peace, his internationalism, his laying the foundations for post-modernism, and his crushing Romanticism.  Plato knew there are bad guys out there, and scarce resources.  wars, myths, and the magic and mystery of life--they seem to work better than totalitarianism and Robespierre and identity politics

• Like 1

I saw 1917 tonight and thought it was excellent.  It is one of the new-style war movies that focus on a limited personal viewpoint rather than a retelling of a battle.  If you like the latter, you might not like this movie as much.  I think it succeeded where Dunkirk failed because it did not try to do too much - it simply told a poignant story.  I think the continuous shoot worked very well - it served to keep all the attention on the story, and it heightened the drama.  I think it captured the real feel of what WW1 was like - the way Saving Private Ryan did for D-Day.  Finally, the date mentioned in the movie - 4/6/17 - was a hugely significant date in the war.  It was the day the United States entered the war.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2020 at 1:50 PM, noonereal said:

Hmmm .... a war movie about suffering and death.  Not sure I would have seen that coming.

1 minute ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

I just watch one of the holiday episodes where Jimmy sing The 12 Days of Christmas and it took 5 hours. Horrible and extremely funny all the same time. Those guys are sick and awesome

the cripple fight is blow for blow...

...copied straight from the They Live fight.

"You dirty Mutha" for the nut shot and everything...

🤣 

• Haha 2

On 1/16/2020 at 7:54 PM, Testadura said:

I saw a reference to this movie on a website comments section, checked Netflix, which didn't have it available, and then some days later stumbled on to it when it was on.

It's cult classic.  Effects back then were basic.  The actors were B-movie actors.  But what made it enjoyable for me was that it's on to something.  (Even Huxley & Orwell & Bradbury couldn't predict our dystopian world to the T.)  If you get this, you might better understand the anger.

Must see.

Many of the older movies have more in them then you might think...

Try watching the original "Planet of the Apes" with an eye on comments like "God made Ape in God's image"....

They used to be loaded with thoughtful points....

but don't bother looking for anything like that in the remakes. 

🤷‍♂️