Meanest defensive player ever?

ChimpGrip

19 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Is he being a THUG in the picture standing gover Gifford? 😆 and then chilling with a Cig.

Decorated WWII vet.  Flew on 30 combat missions.  Went to U Penn.  Stayed married his whole life.  Raised 5 daughters.  Played both ways and sold concrete in the offseason.  He looks like a thug in the picture?  Maybe.  That was The U quite a bit.  Find another picture like that one.  That era raised men.

Double standard?  At times, sure--and as of late, the double-standard gate is swinging the other way at times.  At any rate, he's not a good exemplar, and the double-standard glasses have already served their purposes.  Let's heal, baby

https://www.azquotes.com/author/30616-Chuck_Bednarik

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Testadura said:

you can see in his boxing match with Ali that he could box.  it's not easy, and anyone who has boxed can tell you, to show as he did.

Ali would kill him if Ali went all out, but still ...  almost no NFL guys can fight on that level

How about in an all out fight with no rules? 

I

15 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Ronnie Lott, jack youngblood he played half a season with a broken leg. Randy White. Steve McMichael from the 85 Bears. All these guys were mean. The meanest was Jack Tatum. That forearm put Daryl Stingly in a wheelchair unable to move from the neck down.

Do you think the '85 Bears Defense was the most punishing all time? Or does that go to the old Steelers teams or the 2000 Ravens? 

14 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

How about in an all out fight with no rules? 

I

Great question.  My son and I were taking about Ali vs Bruce Lee last night, which arose from my watching "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood."  Kids would say Bruce Lee.

I'm going with Ali.  Fighters like Ali are almost Gods--you've never seen their quickness, power, movement, reactions.  Ali's muscle memory is beyond comprehension.  Alzado and Lee, for the most part, could not have trained against the likes of Ali to even understand what fighting Ali could be like.  Mitch Green won the NY Golden Gloves a couple times or more, and almost qualified for the Olympics???  He was a ranked pro--top 10.  Tough guy in Rikers.  Tyson wrecked him outside Dapper Dan's in seconds.

BJJ guys and wrestlers would go for take downs.  ???  Easier said than done, unless Ali's space is limited.  Alzado wasn't a BJJ guy.  Neither was Bruce, though he knew many styles, but BJJ probably hadn't made it out to Cali around his time.  Some fighters hardly get taken down; it's just not that easy.

other than lead-leg kicks, TKD kicks are hard to land.  Ali would see them coming a mile away, especially the fancy ones, and you generally have to open up to kick effectively.  Muay Thai leg kicks are easier to land, but Ali would be quick enough to avoid most, and neither of those guys was a Muay Thai guy.

Every TKD B-Belt I ever spoke with said in hindsight (and these guys are in the 40-60s 4 degrees and above) that were they to have a do-over they would focus on boxing and BJJ instead of TKD, Kung Fu, Karate--the traditional arts that are not terribly flexible.  And you can see TKD being downplayed with BJJ and Muay Thai taking on a greater part of self-defense.  MMA sort off shows why.  Boxing and a ground game.  Judo, TKD??  Wrestling is a common background, but they better learn BJJ and boxing, or else they're meat.

Last, Ali was a premier athlete.  Floyd is.  Tyson is.  Jon Jones wins, IMHO, because athletes are training martial arts.

My deceased partner used to say, it's easier to make a smart person nice, than it is to make nice person smart.

It's easier to teach Ali how to fight then it is to teach Alzado.  and here, Ali was taught how to box.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Testadura said:

Great question.  My son and I were taking about Ali vs Bruce Lee last night, which arose from my watching "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood."  Kids would say Bruce Lee.

I'm going with Ali.  Fighters like Ali are almost Gods--you've never seen their quickness, power, movement, reactions.  Ali's muscle memory is beyond comprehension.  Alzado and Lee, for the most part, could not have trained against the likes of Ali to even understand what fighting Ali could be like.  Mitch Green won the NY Golden Gloves a couple times or more, and almost qualified for the Olympics???  He was a ranked pro--top 10.  Tough guy in Rikers.  Tyson wrecked him outside Dapper Dan's in seconds.

BJJ guys and wrestlers would go for take downs.  ???  Easier said than done, unless Ali's space is limited.  Alzado wasn't a BJJ guy.  Neither was Bruce, though he knew many styles, but BJJ probably hadn't made it out to Cali around his time.  Some fighters hardly get taken down; it's just not that easy.

other than lead-leg kicks, TKD kicks are hard to land.  Ali would see them coming a mile away, especially the fancy ones, and you generally have to open up to kick effectively.  Muay Thai leg kicks are easier to land, but Ali would be quick enough to avoid most, and neither of those guys was a Muay Thai guy.

Every TKD B-Belt I ever spoke with said in hindsight (and these guys are in the 40-60s 4 degrees and above) that were they to have a do-over they would focus on boxing and BJJ instead of TKD, Kung Fu, Karate--the traditional arts that are not terribly flexible.  And you can see TKD being downplayed with BJJ and Muay Thai taking on a greater part of self-defense.  MMA sort off shows why.  Boxing and a ground game.  Judo, TKD??  Wrestling is a common background, but they better learn BJJ and boxing, or else they're meat.

Last, Ali was a premier athlete.  Floyd is.  Tyson is.  Jon Jones wins, IMHO, because athletes are training martial arts.

My deceased partner used to say, it's easier to make a smart person nice, than it is to make nice person smart.

It's easier to teach Ali how to fight then it is to teach Alzado.  and here, Ali was taught how to box.

Yeah it’s been a back and forth topic over the years. I always enjoyed watching Bruce Lee’s stuff. His mental toughness and discipline was extraordinary, I am still working hard to try to harness and sustain that. I want to apply it to my own life. 

Anyways, I wouldn’t mind seeing Mayweather Mcgregor again just for the entertainment. 

Could Mayweather ever hang in the ring Golovkin? 

Two professional strongmen, Eddie Hall and Hafthor Bjornsson, are planning on boxing each other in either 2020 or 2021.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Yeah it’s been a back and forth topic over the years. I always enjoyed watching Bruce Lee’s stuff. His mental toughness and discipline was extraordinary, I am still working hard to try to harness and sustain that. I want to apply it to my own life. 

Anyways, I wouldn’t mind seeing Mayweather Mcgregor again just for the entertainment. 

Could Mayweather ever hang in the ring Golovkin? 

Two professional strongmen, Eddie Hall and Hafthor Bjornsson, are planning on boxing each other in either 2020 or 2021.

these guys are so fast nowadays, that when I watch on TV I can't really appreciate all that they do when not punching, which to me is a big part of the science.

Is GGG bigger?  If they are even close in size, I'll take Floyd.  his defense is amazing, so hard to hit, and he's a real student of boxing, which comes from his dad and uncle

it's tough to compare eras, but I'd take Sugar Ray Robinson over him if Ray were fighting today.  Leonard would give him problems because Leonard wasn't easy to hit, and he was fast with good power.  Leonard wouldn't need to push as much to make things happen as Manny and Alvarez.  Mosley landed against Floyd, and Mosley was past his prime.  Oscar put up a fight???

• 4 months later...
On 1/20/2020 at 11:07 AM, ChimpGrip said:

Wonder why 😝

You should check out the clip Eddie put out....

I'd have to check out that match if it ever happens...

😄

2 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

Rocklin HS DB/LB who stepped on the Servite QB's throwing hand, and then started twisting like he was Chubby Checker putting out a cigarette, (while out of bounds, after the play was over), in the 2009 Div II bowl game. I think it was Scott Polaske.

That reminds me of Albert Haynesworth when he takes his cleat across the face of a Cowboys offensive lineman after his helmet was off  laying on the ground but that's not mean that's just dirty as hell

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

Rocklin HS DB/LB who stepped on the Servite QB's throwing hand, and then started twisting like he was Chubby Checker putting out a cigarette, (while out of bounds, after the play was over), in the 2009 Div II bowl game. I think it was Scott Polaske.

Dirtier than Burfect  from Cen10

On 1/19/2020 at 11:36 AM, maxchoboian said:

Tough to say who the meanest ever was, but Chuck ("Concrete Charlie") Bednarik considered playing football as a legal way to try to kill others. I've heard multiple other NFL players admit to being afraid of him on the field.

Image result for chuck bednarik smoking picture

Image result for chuck bednarik smoking picture

the dude is a legend here in Bethlehem.  statue and book not too long ago.  his grandson was a hell of an athlete in 02' signing w/ West Virginia at QB.  That picture of him smoking is in a couple of restaurants in the Lehigh Valley PA.  I think most stories about the crazy nut are true though.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

Steve Atwater.

He didn't need words.

Problem was he damaged himself with some of those hits.

"One of Atwater's career highlights happened on September 17, 1990, during a Monday Night Football telecast from Mile High Stadium in Denver, Colorado. As Kansas City Chiefs massive 260 lbs. running back Christian Okoye came through a hole in the line of scrimmage, he was met by Atwater. The resulting collision stopped Okoye in his tracks, with Atwater standing over him, taunting the proclaimed "Nigerian Nightmare", while he lay on the ground stunned. His coach Mike Shanahan stated "That's the hit people will remember him for."[4]"  ~Wikipedia

bgw

• Like 4