Legendary DeMatha coach Morgan Wootten passed away last night.

BigDrop

Dating to 1962 I have been fortunate to have seen every DeMatha team under Morgan numerous times.  I must note that he had a magnetic, anchoring presence on the floor.  I saw Adrian (Dantley and Branch), JB, Sid, Danny, Keith and Joe and others.  But it was Morgan.  No matter who else was on DeMatha’s team it was Morgan.

A great coach.  A great man.   

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Dating to 1962 I have been fortunate to have seen every DeMatha team under Morgan numerous times.  I must note that he had a magnetic, anchoring presence on the floor.  I saw Adrian (Dantley and Branch), JB, Sid, Danny, Keith and Joe and others.  But it was Morgan.  No matter who else was on DeMatha’s team it was Morgan.

A great coach.  A great man.   

That's  pretty historic  that you were able to see all of Wootten's teams, especially those Alcindor matchups

• Thanks 1

I must add this:

Of all the basketball games that Morgan Wootten and DeMatha played this game was perhaps the most inspirational. This is the Washington Post report of DeMatha’s 1998 game with Anderson, Indiana who were #1 in Indiana at the time:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1998/01/30/indianas-anderson-high-topples-dematha-68-63/2b55687b-379e-4d52-a7d3-ecb17be0b3ef/

DeMatha lost the game (before 9,000+ in D. C.’s MCI center) but please read the article and the reason the game was played:  both Morgan and Ron Hecklinski, the Anderson Coach, had life saving liver transplants a few weeks apart the summer before.

If DeMatha was to ever lose a game this was the team to lose to.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 7:36 AM, Bodysurf said:

#Legend

Only coach to defeat the great Power Memorial who had some player by the name of Lew Alcindor.

2 great games Power Memorial vs DeMatha, both played at DeMatha back to back years.  The teams split.  As a slight correction, Power Memorial was 96-6 during Alcindors career there (5 losses in NYC, 1-1 vs DeMatha).  Power Memorial no longer exists, the school closed in the mid 80s.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

2 great games Power Memorial vs DeMatha, both played at DeMatha back to back years.  The teams split.  As a slight correction, Power Memorial was 96-6 during Alcindors career there (5 losses in NYC, 1-1 vs DeMatha).  Power Memorial no longer exists, the school closed in the mid 80s.

The other five loss were in his freshman year. I only know this because of one of the links.  Power had a 71 game winning streak coming into the ‘65 (!-I’m really old) game and DeMatha had won 29 in a row since their ‘64 loss to Power.

Please forgive me for this: I met Kareem (Lew) and it was memorable.  My wife and I-although we live in suburban Washington, D. C.-were married in California.  Our “wedding dinner” was at the chef’s bar of Wolfgang Puck’s Chinois on Main in Santa Monica.  We’ve gone back many times to celebrate and this one year we had just finished dinner at the same chef’s counter seats in the rear of the restaurant.  Half loaded with wine (!) we walked out and in just a few steps I tripped.  I really was not looking where I was walking and I stepped into a long leg protruding from a table.  I stumbled.  A hand reached out to grab me and it was Kareem.  It was his leg that I had stupidly stumbled over.

But he looked straight at me and asked, “are you all right?”  I’ve never forgotten that.  An absolute gentleman.

Today I make it a point, especially after several glasses of wine, to watch where I walk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know this Dude is a Legend when he has been all over ESPN tonight.... Even the PTI guys talked about him for a good chunk....

“I know of no finer Coach at any level... I stand in Awe if Him”.... John Wooden said that according to ESPN....

I don’t follow HS Hoops but I have really enjoyed hearing about The Great Coach Woottens incredible Career of developing Student Athletes today.... 

Thanks for everything you guys have shared.... @BigDrop , the more I read your posts the more I become a fan of DeMatha!!!.... Not ready to root for then against Cali, But against TX and FL Forsure!!!....🤣🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

You know this Dude is a Legend when he has been all over ESPN tonight.... Even the PTI guys talked about him for a good chunk....

“I know of no finer Coach at any level... I stand in Awe if Him”.... John Wooden said that according to ESPN....

I don’t follow HS Hoops but I have really enjoyed hearing about The Great Coach Woottens incredible Career of developing Student Athletes today.... 

Thanks for everything you guys have shared.... @BigDrop , the more I read your posts the more I become a fan of DeMatha!!!.... Not ready to root for then against Cali, But against TX and FL Forsure!!!....🤣🤣

I root for Mater Dei (second to DeMatha)-I have strong connections to SoCal (married there and several close friends). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

his winning percentage for his entire coaching career at DeMatha, I believe was 87% right? I think Bob Hurley and Gary McKnight had higher winning percentages, but I think majority of people still think Morgan Wootten was the best H.S. Basketball Coach ever.

Steve Smith at Oak Hill has the highest winning percentage but he recruits nationally.  Kevin Boyle at Montverde also recruits nationally and his winning percentage is dramatically higher than it was at NJ’s St. Patrick’s where he competed with Bob Hurley and recruited locally as did Wootten, MacKnight and Hurley.  Oak Hill also has a lot of players who transfer in for only a year.

• Like 1

As long as I am talking about DeMatha’s best games ever there was one that received very little attention locally but had huge significance. In 1978 DeMatha was undefeated featuring Sidney Lowe and Derrick Whittenburg who were later the guards for the NC State team that won the NCAA championship.

They played Houston Wheatley (#1 in Texas at the time) in a tournement in Lake Charles, LA. The game went to FIVE overtimes which I believe is the longest game that Morgan ever was part of.

DeMatha won.

I did not see the game.  But a dozen or so years later I met several people who lived in Baton Rouge who did see the game.  They had rooted for Wheatley.  When I told them where I lived (then Silver Spring, MD about five miles from DeMatha) we got into a lengthy discussion of that game and high school basketball.  The day of the game they thought of DeMatha as DeMatha had thought of Power Memorial and Lew Alcindor/Kareem.

Five overtimes.  In Western Louisiana in the late ‘70’s.

https://www.si.com/vault/1979/01/29/823338/the-wizard-of-washington-morgan-woottens-name-is-similar-to-john-woodens-and-so-is-his-record-as-a-basketball-coach-in-his-23-seasons-at-dematha-high-school-he-has-triumphed-88-of-the-time

This notes the game.  From Sports Illustrated in 1979 I believe this is the best article ever written about Morgan Wootten.  “The Wizard Of Washington.”

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 11:58 PM, WCACguy said:

The GOAT...and an even better person...1,274 wins and in 46 years never lost back to back games...that is unbelievable!!

That is one of the most incredible statistics I have ever seen.  It's hard to wrap my mind around not losing back to back games in 46 years in basketball.  He deserves the title of GOAT.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

I saw the 1984 game with Mater Dei.  It was played at a private school gymnasium called Takoma Academy in really foul weather.  Perhaps a couple of hundred Mater Dei supporters were there including the cheerleaders.  DeMatha featured Danny Ferry and Carlton Valentine whose son (now a Chicago Bull) was national player of the year at Michigan State.  Hard to believe that was 36 years ago.

Really, really nice tweet from Gary MacKnight.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BigDrop said:

I saw the 1984 game with Mater Dei.  It was played at a private school gymnasium called Takoma Academy in really foul weather.  Perhaps a couple of hundred Mater Dei supporters were there including the cheerleaders.  DeMatha featured Danny Ferry and Carlton Valentine whose son (now a Chicago Bull) was national player of the year at Michigan State.  Hard to believe that was 36 years ago.

Really, really nice tweet from Gary MacKnight.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/22/morgan-woottens-jaw-dropping-life-legacy-by-numbers/

• Like 1