St John Bosco and Mater Dei both have 11 juniors with D-1 offers

BobbySanchez

5 hours ago, Nobody said:

That's a good find. MD has a lot of the early hype but I wouldn't look past Bosco. Gonna be epic match up for sure

Totally agree on this point as I am one that has mentally anointed MD as the SoCal big boy champ already.  SJB returns alot and its no joke. Wow we got some epic battles coming up this year in the southern part of the state.  

Moeller used to have a website called the "Gridiron Guide" which had 70 or 80 pages of detail including the names of every single player who received a scholarship to play football in college.  Starting in, I believe, 1976 there were at least 20 players a year IN EACH CLASS who received scholarships.  In 1980 there were 14 or 15 who went "major" 1A including three of the top 22 players in Parade magazine's annual best high school players in America.  That same year Moeller had 26 players receive scholarships with four of them joining Gerry Faust at Notre Dame.  This means that-at one time in one year-Moeller had more than 60 players on its roster who would receive athletic scholarships to college.

For all that I have read and know about DeMatha, Bishop Gorman, STA, Mater Dei (respectfully, coach), SJB and others over the last 50 years Gerry Faust and Cincinnati Moeller are still the benchmark.

22 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Moeller used to have a website called the "Gridiron Guide" which had 70 or 80 pages of detail including the names of every single player who received a scholarship to play football in college.  Starting in, I believe, 1976 there were at least 20 players a year IN EACH CLASS who received scholarships.  In 1980 there were 14 or 15 who went "major" 1A including three of the top 22 players in Parade magazine's annual best high school players in America.  That same year Moeller had 26 players receive scholarships with four of them joining Gerry Faust at Notre Dame.  This means that-at one time in one year-Moeller had more than 60 players on its roster who would receive athletic scholarships to college.

For all that I have read and know about DeMatha, Bishop Gorman, STA, Mater Dei (respectfully, coach), SJB and others over the last 50 years Gerry Faust and Cincinnati Moeller are still the benchmark.

That is ridiculous.  Simply ridiculous.  How is that possible?  

39 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

That is ridiculous.  Simply ridiculous.  How is that possible?  

Moeller pulled out of the area from Indianapolis to Columbus, down through Cincinnati and into Kentucky, down to Louisville.  Rumor is that there were several (or more) players who lived with families in the Cincinnati area along with a number of families who moved there.  The GCAC was changed because of this, severely limiting the area that schools could pull out of.  

I first saw Moeller in 1980 when a loaded DeMatha team went to Cincinnati and played them at the University of Cincinnati.  There were between 15 and 20,000 people for the game (not an exaggeration-I saw it in person and thought it was a college team playing a home game.  The next morning the Cincinnati Enquirer had the Moeller game as its headline in the sports section.  The whole metro area followed Moeller and if you were a top athlete in a 150 mile radius of Cincinnati the probability is that you were going to play for Faust at Moeller.  Over the years I've talked to several players on that DeMatha team (who lost 34-0 and were undefeated in their other games) and they had never seen another team with players who were "cut" like the Moeller players.

How good were they?  At one point they lost two games out of over 100, both in state championship games.  One game was to Massillon and the other was to Cincinnati Princeton.  Moeller won six state championships in the eight year period with only these two losses.  (I should note that Cleveland St. Ignatius won six or seven state championships in a similar period in the late '80's and early '90's.) During this time they played at least one national game a year including 1982 when Faust was at Notre Dame but Moeller continued with athletes he had brought in.  They played and beat Servite with Steve Beuerlein which, to this day, is one of the best teams to ever come out of California.  In truth Servite actually led in that game entering the fourth quarter but Moeller won by two touchdowns.

The '80 Moeller team was the best high school team I have ever seen in person.  Second, by the way, was probably Ronald Curry's jr year at Hampton, VA ('96 or '97).

Today, there are a number of schools playing national games.  But Gerry Faust's Moeller started all of this with DLS going national in the '90's.  It is also possible that nobody else was pulling athletes in like he did then:  he may have been the first private school to "mine" four or five million people in a 300 square mile area that was a football hotbed to begin with.  To this day Faust is also one of the best motivational speakers I have ever heard.

• Like 2

An addendum to above:  in 1998 I saw a great Central Bucks West under Mike Pettine play a PA semi final championship game and thought they were phenominal.  The year before I saw St. Ignatius crush Berwick in Berwick when both were top five in the U. S.  That same year I saw Ronald Curry's Hampton, VA team which outscored opponents by over 700 points.  DeMatha's '98 team is thought by some to be their best ever but they didn't play anyone national.  Still, any of these four teams could have beaten the other.  My point is that even with teams that are thought to be the absolute best (i.e. '93 Iggy, DLS, Gorman, STA, etc.,) it is almost impossible to guess how they would do against each other.  

Of course that is why Servite went to Kings Mills, Ohio to play Moeller along with Hampton, VA Bethel in '79, Miami Christopher Columbus, etc.  And, DeMatha.  

We'll see how DeMatha does this year against Gorman.  And, how DLS does against Gorman.  And, how Mater Dei does against Gorman.  And Miami Central against Gorman.  Unbelievable schedule that Gorman has...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigDrop said:

Moeller pulled out of the area from Indianapolis to Columbus, down through Cincinnati and into Kentucky, down to Louisville.  Rumor is that there were several (or more) players who lived with families in the Cincinnati area along with a number of families who moved there.  The GCAC was changed because of this, severely limiting the area that schools could pull out of.  

I first saw Moeller in 1980 when a loaded DeMatha team went to Cincinnati and played them at the University of Cincinnati.  There were between 15 and 20,000 people for the game (not an exaggeration-I saw it in person and thought it was a college team playing a home game.  The next morning the Cincinnati Enquirer had the Moeller game as its headline in the sports section.  The whole metro area followed Moeller and if you were a top athlete in a 150 mile radius of Cincinnati the probability is that you were going to play for Faust at Moeller.  Over the years I've talked to several players on that DeMatha team (who lost 34-0 and were undefeated in their other games) and they had never seen another team with players who were "cut" like the Moeller players.

How good were they?  At one point they lost two games out of over 100, both in state championship games.  One game was to Massillon and the other was to Cincinnati Princeton.  Moeller won six state championships in the eight year period with only these two losses.  (I should note that Cleveland St. Ignatius won six or seven state championships in a similar period in the late '80's and early '90's.) During this time they played at least one national game a year including 1982 when Faust was at Notre Dame but Moeller continued with athletes he had brought in.  They played and beat Servite with Steve Beuerlein which, to this day, is one of the best teams to ever come out of California.  In truth Servite actually led in that game entering the fourth quarter but Moeller won by two touchdowns.

The '80 Moeller team was the best high school team I have ever seen in person.  Second, by the way, was probably Ronald Curry's jr year at Hampton, VA ('96 or '97).

Today, there are a number of schools playing national games.  But Gerry Faust's Moeller started all of this with DLS going national in the '90's.  It is also possible that nobody else was pulling athletes in like he did then:  he may have been the first private school to "mine" four or five million people in a 300 square mile area that was a football hotbed to begin with.  To this day Faust is also one of the best motivational speakers I have ever heard.

Did Fl even play any big OOS matchups back then that you remember?   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigDrop said:

They played and beat Servite with Steve Beuerlein which, to this day, is one of the best teams to ever come out of California.  In truth Servite actually led in that game entering the fourth quarter but Moeller won by two touchdowns.

This is true.  We scouted the game and Servite was in control until the 4th qtr.  

One of the first big National OOS games.  Very exciting.  Moeller had the home field advantage and Hiawatha Francisco started getting big chunks of yardage as Servite wore down toward the end of the game.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BigDrop said:

In the 70's St Aug (NOLA) would have 20-25 D1s most every year.

One reason why Aug is tied for 3rd now in NFL players produced.

How many NFL players has Moeller produced?