St John Bosco and Mater Dei both have 11 juniors with D-1 offers

BobbySanchez

14 hours ago, BigDrop said:

An addendum to above:  in 1998 I saw a great Central Bucks West under Mike Pettine play a PA semi final championship game and thought they were phenominal.  The year before I saw St. Ignatius crush Berwick in Berwick when both were top five in the U. S.  That same year I saw Ronald Curry's Hampton, VA team which outscored opponents by over 700 points.  DeMatha's '98 team is thought by some to be their best ever but they didn't play anyone national.  Still, any of these four teams could have beaten the other.  My point is that even with teams that are thought to be the absolute best (i.e. '93 Iggy, DLS, Gorman, STA, etc.,) it is almost impossible to guess how they would do against each other.  

Of course that is why Servite went to Kings Mills, Ohio to play Moeller along with Hampton, VA Bethel in '79, Miami Christopher Columbus, etc.  And, DeMatha.  

We'll see how DeMatha does this year against Gorman.  And, how DLS does against Gorman.  And, how Mater Dei does against Gorman.  And Miami Central against Gorman.  Unbelievable schedule that Gorman has...

Thank you for that.  That's good stuff and an incredible situation.  I've heard of Faust of course but never knew how he did what the did.  Excellent post. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Simple,  division 1 schools could give out 105 scholarships till 1978 and then 95 till 92 or so. That's 10-20 more per school during that time

Thanks.  Makes more sense but it's hard to wrap my head around that many D1 players.  Amazing one guy could create a team/franchise like that.  Would love to have listened to his pregame speech.

On 5/11/2017 at 8:38 AM, TheRealCAJ said:

STA, FL has 18 seniors with D1 offers and 10 juniors with D1 offers.........and 7  sophomores with D1 offers.

Current class FBS offered:  19 juniors, 11 sophs and 5 freshmen (you added two 9th graders from LA).  Scout is missing 2 FBS recruits.   I am aware of 4 recruits with FCS offers.

The soon to be senior class has 23 minimum offered (19 FBS/4 FCS).  

28 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

247sports.

Or rankbyoffers.com

I think they're behind right now.  They've got Bosco with 10 total.   7 juniors, 2 sophs, 1 freshman.   Pretty sure they got more.  Scout shows 9 juniors, 10 sophs, 2 freshman.   I figure Scout is more up to date.   Is there an easy way to sort them by HS with 247?

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Current class FBS offered:  19 juniors, 11 sophs and 5 freshmen (you added two 9th graders from LA).  Scout is missing 2 FBS recruits.   I am aware of 4 recruits with FCS offers.

The soon to be senior class has 23 minimum offered (19 FBS/4 FCS).  

Soph QB Curt Casteel picked up his 1st FBS offer today from Cincy.  19/12/5.  

23 hours ago, 954gator said:

Did Fl even play any big OOS matchups back then that you remember?   

I know the OOS games for Moeller from '76 or so to the mid '80's which included Servite, Miami Christopher Columbus, DeMatha, Hampton, VA Bethel. a Long Island Catholic school, Brother Rice, a school from Pittsburgh (North Hills?), Dallas Jesuit and J. O. Johnson from Huntsville, Alabama.   I was traveling heavily for business back then around much of the U. S. and would go out of my way to see a top high school game on Friday nights.  Sometimes, if I heard about a game, I would work a business trip around the game.  (i.e. I had meetings at Kings Island the day of the DeMatha/Moeller game.  One time I drove from Amarillo to Odessa to watch Mojo play Midland Lee and almost didn't get in after the five or so hour drive because the 20,000 seat stadium almost sold out.

DeMatha had a game in 1978 or 79 in Sacramento, CA which was a home and away.  They won in Ca and lost the return game.  But games like that and the Moeller games were almost unheard of then.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Stache said:

This is true.  We scouted the game and Servite was in control until the 4th qtr.  

One of the first big National OOS games.  Very exciting.  Moeller had the home field advantage and Hiawatha Francisco started getting big chunks of yardage as Servite wore down toward the end of the game.

Coach, you were there!  I was too-the stadium was next to Kings Island andI  rode over in a golf cart with a couple of KI managers to watch.  FWIW, talking about Moeller pulling out of a 300 mile area, both Hiawatha and D'Juan Francisco's family were, I was told, originally from Indianapolis.

I was younger then, I didn't have to color my mustache!

Thirty five years ago!!!  

Coach, would you agree that Servite team was one of the best in Southern CA for its time?

9 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Thank you for that.  That's good stuff and an incredible situation.  I've heard of Faust of course but never knew how he did what the did.  Excellent post. 

Addendum John Boehner (yes, that John Boehner) played LB for Moeller under Faust in the late '60's.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Thanks.  Makes more sense but it's hard to wrap my head around that many D1 players.  Amazing one guy could create a team/franchise like that.  Would love to have listened to his pregame speech.

A bit of perspective:  Gerry Faust went directly from Moeller High School to take over as head coach at Notre Dame.  I'm not so sure that I've ever heard of anyone else doing something like that.  But he was that successful and had a very real national reputation in high school. Coach Stache, I've watched a couple of your pregame speeches on Fox Sports West, too, and you can hold your own with anyone from any time!  A real pleasure to watch and listen to you, sir. 

57 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Coach, you were there!  I was too-the stadium was next to Kings Island andI  rode over in a golf cart with a couple of KI managers to watch.  FWIW, talking about Moeller pulling out of a 300 mile area, both Hiawatha and D'Juan Francisco's family were, I was told, originally from Indianapolis.

I was younger then, I didn't have to color my mustache!

Thirty five years ago!!!  

Coach, would you agree that Servite team was one of the best in Southern CA for its time?

You are correct.  The 1982 Servite team won the rest of their games and the Pac 5 Championship. Easily.  That Servite team is arguabley Servites best team ever and is in the discussion as one of the top So Cal squads of the 1980's. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cossacks said:

79' Edison > 81' Servite?

I'm going to date myself now. No doubt about it. Teams from very different eras can't be compared and its all relative. But that Edison team with Frank Sauer and Kerwin Bell dominated their completion unlike no team I have ever seen. Bell was a transfer that year and they lost early in the season. But once they got rolling later in the season it was a spectacle to behold. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

I'm going to date myself now. No doubt about it. Teams from very different eras can't be compared and its all relative. But that Edison team with Frank Sauer and Kerwin Bell dominated their completion unlike no team I have ever seen. Bell was a transfer that year and they lost early in the season. But once they got rolling later in the season it was a spectacle to behold. 

Except that the '81 Servite team beat Edison 14-7 in the playoffs.

plus Big drop was talking about the '82 Servite team 

agreed that the Edison 78-81 teams were beasts and were National Top 10 caliber 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Stache said:

You are correct.  The 1982 Servite team won the rest of their games and the Pac 5 Championship. Easily.  That Servite team is arguabley Servites best team ever and is in the discussion as one of the top So Cal squads of the 1980's. 

They beat Saint Paul 23-20 and Alemany 19-17 in the semis. Far from easy for them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

2010 division 1 wasn't very strong.

Servite had numerous games decided by one score in 2010. Hardly a dominant team

Don't know about 1982 division 1. 

Was kind of kidding but Servite beat national top 5 (week 15) MV in Pac5 final by 14 

this was right when I got to know you around the time you said DLS wasn't elite (but Serra gardena was)

1 hour ago, Pops said:

Was kind of kidding but Servite beat national top 5 (week 15) MV in Pac5 final by 14 

1 hour ago, Pops said:

this was right when I got to know you around the time you said DLS wasn't elite (but Serra gardena was)

Mission Viejo really wasn't a top 5 national team. 

DLS wasn't elite that year. 

Serra  Gardena was really good that year,  unfortunately the last game was played in mud against Folsom. 

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

Mission Viejo really wasn't a top 5 national team. 

DLS wasn't elite that year. 

Serra  Gardena was really good that year,  unfortunately the last game was played in mud against Folsom. 

Let's be clear

are you still asserting that

1) the team that had a running clock on the undefeated Pac5 champs wasn't elite

2). The team that lost to Folsom by 28 points was?

that DLS team started a 6-year run of top 7 finishes -- a stratosphere that Serra has realistically never approached, maybe barely if it was just CA teams

You know your stuff but tend to way overweight *talent and disregard "TEAM" IMHO

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

You always say stuff like this. Like you saying westlake was a top ten team too. Beyond delusional if you believe either. 

Well, then, every pollster and computer was also delusional....

.... or just not as smart as you