Duncanville coach suspended

ATLien12x

On 2/14/2020 at 9:44 AM, The Guru said:

Yeah, I love the rationalization here.

"In Texas, we don't break the rules!"

(Duncanville breaks the rules)

"See! In Texas, if you break the rules, you get punished!"

🤡

Where have i or the rest of the normal non troll texans have said rules arent broken in texas you clown 🤡 

On 2/12/2020 at 4:03 PM, Gametyme said:

It's a stupid rule. I remember SLC had a camp scandal under Hal Wasson. See nothing wrong with none of it. 

Yep that dick reporter here thought he was on to his next great story. Accused ET and SLC of some bullshit during the 7 on 7 season. Nothing came of it.

Samples being classy, bullshit rule.

On 2/12/2020 at 1:02 PM, Horsefly said:

I’ve been coaching a long time,” Samples told The Dallas Morning News Wednesday, “and this is the first violation I’ve had in [30] years and I can’t make an excuse.

“He’s just a volunteer and he ended up giving instructions," Samples said, “and that you can’t do.”

“I made a mistake, I owned up to it and I have to move forward."

So, let me get this straight... if someone wanted to coach a placekicker in Texas, they have to be a certified teacher?  All coaches for all sports are on-campus teachers?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

So, let me get this straight... if someone wanted to coach a placekicker in Texas, they have to be a certified teacher?  All coaches for all sports are on-campus teachers?

Yes, you are teachers first, coaches second. Most coaches besides the HC also teach classes, math, English, etc.  

51 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

The GHSA permits "community coaches" in all sports. I'm sure there are certain certifications that go with that (first aid, CPR, etc) but they can not be paid by the school system. We had a few for football, and I believe the touchdown club compensated them for their work. Joey Bennett, our OL coach under Rush, coaches in this role if I am not mistaking.

It's interesting that this is not allowed in Texas, and also kind of stupid in my opinion.

• Like 1

Here is the actual section of the policy. 

Section 1202: EMPLOYMENT OF COACHES

(a) HIGH SCHOOL COACHES.

(1) Full-Time Employees. A school is not eligible for UIL competition in an athletic activity unless the head coach and assistant

high school coaches are full-time employees of the school board of the school which the team represents.

(2) Full-Time Defined. Full-time means that the person is under contract to the school board of the school which the

athletic team represents for the whole scholastic or calendar year, and the person has enough contractual duties to

be considered a full-time employee by the Teacher Retirement System and state law. See Official Interpretation #14,

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Here is the actual section of the policy. 

Section 1202: EMPLOYMENT OF COACHES

(a) HIGH SCHOOL COACHES.

(1) Full-Time Employees. A school is not eligible for UIL competition in an athletic activity unless the head coach and assistant

high school coaches are full-time employees of the school board of the school which the team represents.

(2) Full-Time Defined. Full-time means that the person is under contract to the school board of the school which the

athletic team represents for the whole scholastic or calendar year, and the person has enough contractual duties to

be considered a full-time employee by the Teacher Retirement System and state law. See Official Interpretation #14,

So technically the janitor could coach running backs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Texasball said:

Nope, he has to be certified or be working on final certification and they only give you so long to be fully certified with the state.

I'm guessing this is for insurance purposes. 

In California, there can be off-campus coaches.  That said, if the head coach is off-campus and an on-campus teacher wants that position, the school has to give it to them.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:27 AM, Cal 14 said:

I'm guessing this is for insurance purposes. 

In California, there can be off-campus coaches.  That said, if the head coach is off-campus and an on-campus teacher wants that position, the school has to give it to them.

Yes In California you definitely do not have to be a teacher or "full-time" employee. I am the head Varsity Water Polo Coach at a school in the east bay and I just have to take all of the mandated courses that teachers must complete as well as the athletic specific courses. I am technically an employee of the School District (part time).

In regards to the requirement of giving a teacher preference over a non-teacher, I have never heard of that rule. It may be different from one school district to another however.

• Thanks 1