Reuters: "Slavery not a crime for almost half the countries in the world--study"

Testadura

7 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Adv=advantage.   Those that have the advatsnges economically, politically, etc, we cant expect/ask them to share that advantage to make things equitable.   It will never happen.  

Thanks, something I read from Frederick Douglass I believe “if you want to lift the Black man, leave him alone” I think this fits your comment. And there are too many variables to make “equitable” work imo. Lot of thought provoking discourse.... and I think in varying degrees it speaks to a lot of groups. Suicide rates, mortality rates, expanding super rich getting richer while the rest are taxed heavily, mental health is ignored. 

My random thoughts of course....

BGW

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Thanks, something I read from Frederick Douglass I believe “if you want to lift the Black man, leave him alone” I think this fits your comment. And there are too many variables to make “equitable” work imo. Lot of thought provoking discourse.... and I think in varying degrees it speaks to a lot of groups. Suicide rates, mortality rates, expanding super rich getting richer while the rest are taxed heavily, mental health is ignored. 

My random thoughts of course....

BGW

Whether you support AA or not this is one of the greatest benefits of it since it's birth in the 1960's.  Some Minorities with Lower Test Scores getting into College is more of an affront to many than this

@Horsefly  @Testadura  and @World Citizen  These things we can start with and something that Horsefly was trying to make a point about " they offer smoke and mirrors" in an earlier retort. 

The greatest benefit of Affirmative Action was to interject a diverse professional force that challenged a lot of the Previous and current Wrongs by this Nation and those that oppose it damn sure would not have undertaken this endeavor.  Thinks Like Criminal Justice.  Like the Former Black DA here in Dallas that opened up old cases and freed Many.  Mostly black males that had been railroaded by a unjust Justice System.  

Of the new study, he said that "of course it points out the societal benefits of affirmative action, but this value extends to criminal justice reform, voter registration procedures, residential patterns, and even environmental considerations." In all of those cases, having diverse professionals produces different outcomes, he said.

EXHIBIT A: 

Image: Dallas DA

Steve Krauss  /  AP
Former Dallas County District Attorney Henry Wade speaks during an interview in Dallas, March 4, 1986. During an unprecedented 36-year reign as the Dallas County district attorney, Wade convicted more than 90 percent of the defendants in his purview. Nineteen convictions — so far — won by Wade and his successors are being overturned, some two-thirds of them involving black men. An estimated 250 cases remain for review.

A black DA came in and corrected a lot of this non-sense.  In the Justice system alon with more Black Lawyers and Judges have been one the greatest Champion's of Affirmative Action.  

Craig Marcus Watkins is an American lawyer. He was the district attorney for the Dallas County, Texas in the United States from 2007 to 2015. He became the first elected African American district attorney in Texas after he was elected in 2006. 
image.jpeg.6ff3ee9c6cd93b31b5a7ec52bc436087.jpeg

I will await the Truth commission Guy to come and tell me this was too long ago.  🤣

But now, seven years after Wade's death, The Chief's legacy is taking a beating.

Nineteen convictions — three for murder and the rest involving rape or burglary — won by Wade and two successors who trained under him have been overturned after DNA evidence exonerated the defendants. About 250 more cases are under review.

No other county in America — and almost no state, for that matter — has freed more innocent people from prison in recent years than Dallas County, where Wade was DA from 1951 through 1986.

Current District Attorney Craig Watkins, who in 2006 became the first black elected chief prosecutor in any Texas county, said that more wrongly convicted people will go free.

"There was a cowboy kind of mentality and the reality is that kind of approach is archaic, racist, elitist and arrogant," said Watkins, who is 40 and never worked for Wade or met him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Whether you support AA or not this is one of the greatest benefits of it since it's birth in the 1960's.  Some Minorities with Lower Test Scores getting into College is more of an affront to many than this

@Horsefly  @Testadura  and @World Citizen  These things we can start with and something that Horsefly was trying to make a point about " they offer smoke and mirrors" in an earlier retort. 

The greatest benefit of Affirmative Action was to interject a diverse professional force that challenged a lot of the Previous and current Wrongs by this Nation and those that oppose it damn sure would not have undertaken this endeavor.  Thinks Like Criminal Justice.  Like the Former Black DA here in Dallas that opened up old cases and freed Many.  Mostly black males that had been railroaded by a unjust Justice System.  

Of the new study, he said that "of course it points out the societal benefits of affirmative action, but this value extends to criminal justice reform, voter registration procedures, residential patterns, and even environmental considerations." In all of those cases, having diverse professionals produces different outcomes, he said.

EXHIBIT A: 

Image: Dallas DA

Steve Krauss  /  AP
Former Dallas County District Attorney Henry Wade speaks during an interview in Dallas, March 4, 1986. During an unprecedented 36-year reign as the Dallas County district attorney, Wade convicted more than 90 percent of the defendants in his purview. Nineteen convictions — so far — won by Wade and his successors are being overturned, some two-thirds of them involving black men. An estimated 250 cases remain for review.

A black DA came in and corrected a lot of this non-sense.  In the Justice system alon with more Black Lawyers and Judges have been one the greatest Champion's of Affirmative Action.  

Craig Marcus Watkins is an American lawyer. He was the district attorney for the Dallas County, Texas in the United States from 2007 to 2015. He became the first elected African American district attorney in Texas after he was elected in 2006. 
image.jpeg.6ff3ee9c6cd93b31b5a7ec52bc436087.jpeg

I will await the Truth commission Guy to come and tell me this was too long ago.  🤣

But now, seven years after Wade's death, The Chief's legacy is taking a beating.

Nineteen convictions — three for murder and the rest involving rape or burglary — won by Wade and two successors who trained under him have been overturned after DNA evidence exonerated the defendants. About 250 more cases are under review.

No other county in America — and almost no state, for that matter — has freed more innocent people from prison in recent years than Dallas County, where Wade was DA from 1951 through 1986.

Current District Attorney Craig Watkins, who in 2006 became the first black elected chief prosecutor in any Texas county, said that more wrongly convicted people will go free.

"There was a cowboy kind of mentality and the reality is that kind of approach is archaic, racist, elitist and arrogant," said Watkins, who is 40 and never worked for Wade or met him.

Yep, thanks for that... the systematic or rather the “web snare” of the system does NOT rehabilitate it simply creates another culture of “slavery” by ensnaring these men into a “culture” they could never “leave” it seems!

I fought for a young man in the school system because I could see the goodness of his heart and spirit but the “behavior memory@ was too strong and the “system” was too rigid and inflexible. 

Sad situation, single mom against the oppressive “system”. Once again, “no voice” and the socioeconomic strata limiter at play once again.

We are medieval as fuck, are we not?

BGW

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

A few weeks back I played golf with a couple of our black clients who are also great friends of mine at our annual company golf outing and guess what?

...18 holes, some beers,  some food,  etc and WE didn't talk about any of this STUFF. 

Thank you Jesus!

Clients my ass. I believe they were there and I believe you had clubs, but you weren’t golfing you fucking racist pig.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, Horsefly said:

my view is I think it’s all smoke and mirrors, the talk of equity and balancing things out has been going on for years and yet there is still underrepresentation (even with AA) 

Bottomline, you can’t expect those with adv to share those adv by freely giving them up.  

Even black guys and women and homosexuals?

Maybe the campus feminists are right. Maybe justice and truth are silly categories. Maybe there is only power, and the value of a policy, like the value of an argument, is to be determined by how much power it gives your favorite group.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Even black guys and women and homosexuals?

Maybe the campus feminists are right. Maybe justice and truth are silly categories. Maybe there is only power, and the value of a policy, like the value of an argument, is to be determined by how much power it gives your favorite group.

No, those are all groups underrepresented in many categories.  Sans homosexuals as they aren’t a protected group. 

You tell me which race and gender controls the majority of the wealth, industry and politics in this country?  

43 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

No, those are all groups underrepresented in many categories.  Sans homosexuals as they aren’t a protected group. 

You tell me which race and gender controls the majority of the wealth, industry and politics in this country?  

White and male. 

Why are race and gender the correct dividing lines and not, for example, sexual orientation or geographical location or education or religious affiliation? Presumably people who come from the rural South are underrepresented in tech. Why isn't that evidence of social injustice? 

My point was that if we can't expect those with advantages to give them up on the basis of arguments which appeal to justice, then it doesn't really matter, in respect of justice, which group has the advantages. Any change would be effected through power, and the new structure wouldn't be anymore moved by appeals to justice than the previous structure, and they would remain deaf to the cries of homosexuals who claim that they're a disadvantaged group in this society, since (on this view) their homosexuality doesn't matter; it's only race and gender that matter. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

White and male. 

Why are race and gender the correct dividing lines and not, for example, sexual orientation or geographical location or education or religious affiliation? Presumably people who come from the rural South are underrepresented in tech. Why isn't that evidence of social injustice? 

My point was that if we can't expect those with advantages to give them up on the basis of arguments which appeal to justice, then it doesn't really matter, in respect of justice, which group has the advantages. Any change would be effected through power, and the new structure wouldn't be anymore moved by appeals to justice than the previous structure, and they would remain deaf to the cries of homosexuals who claim that they're a disadvantaged group in this society, since they're homosexuality doesn't matter; it's only race and gender that matters. 

once again, the group that subgroups appeal to, in this case, homosexuals, would be those in the dominant group in earning a seat at the table on a national level.  

On 2/13/2020 at 11:45 PM, DevilDog said:

I find you to be quite astute.  We need to have a conversation away from this board or an IM sometime.  I am well aware of Native American Slave holders.  But what is offensive is the constant whataboutism. There is no huge Indian slavery of African Americans.  As a matter of fact many were aware the had the same enemy and many took in African American Runaways. Look up Bracketville, Tx.  To this day there is a Seminole Creole language and more African Americans have indigenous blood than Europeans. There were vast places of this interaction and produced many of these types.  The Buffalo Soldiers fathered many kids with Indian Women in West Texas.  My Hero half black and Half Native American.  Certified Bad Ass Cowboy Nat Love.   And Bass Reeves the Real Lone Ranger below him 

Image result for famous black indians cowboys

Reeves severely beat his owner, and fled to the Indian Territory where he lived as a fugitive slave among the Cherokee, Creeks and Seminoles Bass stayed in the Indian Territories and learned their languages until he was freed by the Thirteenth Amendment, which abolished slavery, in 1865.

Before cutting his hair

Image result for bass reeves

Same person after cutting his hair and becoming one Bad Ass U.S Marshall.  

.image.jpeg.125d1de95dccfb045668baa31d610cd2.jpeg

And there were a lot of them and it wasn't mostly because of Indian enslaving black people either. 

Black Native indian

I learn when you write about the history of Indians and slavery. You should write a book on that title before it is deluded or worse. I read about the buffalo solders. Very interesting history there. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I learn when you write about the history of Indians and slavery. You should write a book on that title before it is deluded or worse. I read about the buffalo solders. Very interesting history there. 

.Did you know an Arizona fort was the home of the U.S. Army's Buffalo Soldiers?

Back in 2003 I actually spent a week at Fort Huachuca Arizona just to  walk the trails of the Buffalo Soldiers who were actually stationed there. Their museum is there as well.  It was on my bucket list

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

Back in 2003 I actually spent a week at Fort Huachuca Arizona just to  walk the trails of the Buffalo Soldiers who were actually stationed there. Their museum is there as well.  It was on my bucket list

No, I only knew of Ft. Joppa, which was the advanced guard so to speak for the wild west. A shame how it was neglected at the time, and those who served were some of the best soldiers in the Army period.

Never knew about a Buffalo Ft. in Az. Will have to expand my history. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

No, I only knew of Ft. Joppa, which was the advanced guard so to speak for the wild west. A shame how it was neglected at the time, and those who served were some of the best soldiers in the Army period.

Never knew about a Buffalo Ft. in Az. Will have to expand my history. 

That's where the U.S. Army intelligence schoo is located. It's pronounced WaChuku lol.  Pretty cool to walk those Buffalo Soldiers trails on that For. It's  a desert Fort.  Great history out there.  Meant a lot to me for sure.  Thanks.  You have schooled me I have to look up Ft. Joppa.   

• Like 1

Im blessed. I wake up every day an American. I didnt have a great life growing up, but neither did a lot of people. 

I, like my parents and their parents, worked for everything we've ever had. 

Black people and white people are different. Get used to it. Black people were treated pretty bad when I was a kid in the 60s deep South, I saw it, but the baffling part is, they seemed to have more pride and ambition than many do now. Much tougher and didnt whine a 10th of what you hear now, and they had a thousand more reasons to. REAL reasons. Not because someone called them a bad name kinda bullshit.

My sister just retired from 40 years in education, the last 16 as a Superintendent. She can tell you how in modern day America, a lot of things in the school system are "adjusted" based soley on race. 

All races want power. End of story.

Another never ending debate.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Horsefly

The truth is starting to emerge and the Magnitude that ignorant people refuse to acknowledge  is pickup up a lot of steam.  Read this Sir. It is unfathomable.   

https://theconversation.com/slavery-new-digital-tools-show-how-important-slave-trade-was-to-liverpools-development-132690

Slavery: new digital tools show how important slave trade was to Liverpool's development

The sheer scale of the transatlantic slave trade can be overwhelming. It began in 1520, when the Spanish first brought captives to the Caribbean direct from Africa, and only ended 350 years later when at least 40,000 ships sailing under the colours of almost every European and American power had engaged in the trade. These ships forcibly embarked 12.5 million enslaved people at African ports stretched across 3,000 miles of coastline, and disembarked the 10.7 million survivors in the even more geographically expansive American colonies.

Viewed across this vast expanse of space and time, the transatlantic trade was the largest maritime forced migration in history. Our new time Lapse captures the size and complexity of the slave trade in a single video from 1515 to 1866.

This is an incredible video ;  The only set of complete plans of a slave ship in existence.   A digital look at the ship

https://slavevoyages.org/voyage/ship#slave-

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DevilDog said:

@Horsefly

The truth is starting to emerge and the Magnitude that ignorant people refuse to acknowledge  is pickup up a lot of steam.  Read this Sir. It is unfathomable.   

https://theconversation.com/slavery-new-digital-tools-show-how-important-slave-trade-was-to-liverpools-development-132690

Slavery: new digital tools show how important slave trade was to Liverpool's development

The sheer scale of the transatlantic slave trade can be overwhelming. It began in 1520, when the Spanish first brought captives to the Caribbean direct from Africa, and only ended 350 years later when at least 40,000 ships sailing under the colours of almost every European and American power had engaged in the trade. These ships forcibly embarked 12.5 million enslaved people at African ports stretched across 3,000 miles of coastline, and disembarked the 10.7 million survivors in the even more geographically expansive American colonies.

Viewed across this vast expanse of space and time, the transatlantic trade was the largest maritime forced migration in history. Our new time Lapse captures the size and complexity of the slave trade in a single video from 1515 to 1866.

This is an incredible video ;  The only set of complete plans of a slave ship in existence.   A digital look at the ship

https://slavevoyages.org/voyage/ship#slave-

Yep, it's unbelievable.  The conditions on those ships were deplorable.  It was claustrophobic just watching the video! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Yep, it's unbelievable.  The conditions on those ships were deplorable.  It was claustrophobic just watching the video! 

40,000 freaking Ships > Largest Maritime forced Migration in the History of Mankind.  1515 - 1866.   The magnitude is unreal and under those conditions.  12.5 million humans.  That doubles the Holocaust.   Considering the middle passage horrors.  They literally murdered 2 million people in transport and many million more during captivity.  If GOD is Just some atonement has to be extracted. 

It has been stated even to this day the Sharks in the Atlantic follow the migration path of the Slave Ships because of the Humans that were tossed overboard or those that committed suicide.   

1. Sharks[‘] migratory patterms were changed because these predators followed the ships in the Middle Passage because when a slave died they were thrown overboard, or if they were killed because they were protesting of if they committed suicide, the sharks knew that they could follow the ships, and it changed the migratory patterns of sharks during this period of time.

Historians think that up to two million African people died during the Middle Passage. However, somewhere between 9.4 million and 12 million Africans survived the Middle Passage, and arrived in the Americas as slaves.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I would be interested to know the “meat” of the activity in the trade in Africa and the “home offices”....

Horrific. 

BGW

Bro.  I will be back in your neck of the wood on business the week of Apri 13th.  I will reach out to you prior.   Look forward to seeing you again sir. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 4:02 AM, RedZone said:

A few weeks back I played golf with a couple of our black clients who are also great friends of mine at our annual company golf outing and guess what?

...18 holes, some beers,  some food,  etc and WE didn't talk about any of this STUFF. 

Thank you Jesus!

Ya, sure you did...

No one here believes your racist ass except maybe the liberal clowns that don’t care you’re racist...

On 2/18/2020 at 6:34 PM, DevilDog said:

Time to cut the dreads and grow a stache for summer time. 

A0D36828-1416-4124-A3AE-E4A6892B271C.jpeg

39 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

Ya, sure you did...

No one here believes your racist ass except maybe the liberal clowns that don’t care you’re racist...

He wants the forum to think he works in corporate when in reality he is a child molesting swamp scavenger...that's our Cooter!

Insert Krusty the delicate lil welching snowflake with a confused emoji

• Like 1

@DevilDog

@Horsefly

Both of you successful, upper middle class veterans, and I salute you both.

Question....I dont need to go on about the horrors of slavery,  but ponder this.....What do you think your life would be like had it not happened?  I know you wouldnt know any different, but since you do....?

In no way would I ever say slavery was a "good thing", but at least in my mind, many generations will live a better life in America because it did. Am I wrong?