Why JUCO teams like IMG and SFA are beatable

Sammyswordsman

Reposting this great take from another board.  Very good insight and very accurate.  

Post by HonorGloryLove » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:56 am

Re: Daforno's musing about Bosco and Poly, I have wondered about this myself many times, and I certainly don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I believe the quality of the programs, and not just the athletic ability, is what makes top teams great.

Sure, athleticism plays a big part, but motivation and great preparation (including the hard work of having back ups ready) are the fundamentals. A lot of work and time are necessary to produce that kind of performance. But it's not the work and time put in that make these coaches and programs great in my eyes—please see the end of this post for that.

One thing athleticism, particularly speed, can do is to reduce the penalty a team pays for mistakes, like being out of position, missing tackles, etc., but this doesn't help so much when playing a top quality team that is also fast, and plays better football. I think this often accounts for a seemingly invincible nationally ranked team losing a big game.

Because I follow MD, I immediately think of the IMG game a couple years ago. I sat on the IMG side and those IMG fans were stunned. What would seem impossible on paper was happening right before their eyes. I am sure Bosco, DLS and Servite have also played games like this.

Programs like Bosco, MD and Servite (just wait, they'll be right up there again-TT's a great coach) require a lot of work for players too, and a lot of time. At any of these schools, it's a wonder these kids can study during football season, but they make it happen. I'll say this: having 4 years of that kind of stress will surely make college easier because the kid's used to managing his time and pushing himself when he's dog tired.

It's a burden not every kid will accept, and it mirrors the burden these coaches accept.

Mind you, I'm not disparaging any kid or coach who does not want to carry that load. It's something the individual must want badly enough to suffer the pain. There are other things in life that are also important, and any individual who places balance ahead of a singular goal deserves our admiration too.

We Americans are terribly competitive, and sometimes we lose perspective because of that. I marvel at how the coaches I mentioned, and I will certainly put Bob Ladouceur in the group, always seem to, despite their competitive nature, maintain awareness of what's really important.

I watch these men when they meet on the field after a game. There's lots of love for each other with smiles all around. I am often deeply moved when I see them together, as I consider how rare that attitude is. I want to be like them, and I thank all of them for their inspiration.

43 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Reposting this great take from another board.  Very good insight and very accurate.  

Post by HonorGloryLove » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:56 am

Re: Daforno's musing about Bosco and Poly, I have wondered about this myself many times, and I certainly don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I believe the quality of the programs, and not just the athletic ability, is what makes top teams great.

Sure, athleticism plays a big part, but motivation and great preparation (including the hard work of having back ups ready) are the fundamentals. A lot of work and time are necessary to produce that kind of performance. But it's not the work and time put in that make these coaches and programs great in my eyes—please see the end of this post for that.

One thing athleticism, particularly speed, can do is to reduce the penalty a team pays for mistakes, like being out of position, missing tackles, etc., but this doesn't help so much when playing a top quality team that is also fast, and plays better football. I think this often accounts for a seemingly invincible nationally ranked team losing a big game.

Because I follow MD, I immediately think of the IMG game a couple years ago. I sat on the IMG side and those IMG fans were stunned. What would seem impossible on paper was happening right before their eyes. I am sure Bosco, DLS and Servite have also played games like this.

Programs like Bosco, MD and Servite (just wait, they'll be right up there again-TT's a great coach) require a lot of work for players too, and a lot of time. At any of these schools, it's a wonder these kids can study during football season, but they make it happen. I'll say this: having 4 years of that kind of stress will surely make college easier because the kid's used to managing his time and pushing himself when he's dog tired.

It's a burden not every kid will accept, and it mirrors the burden these coaches accept.

Mind you, I'm not disparaging any kid or coach who does not want to carry that load. It's something the individual must want badly enough to suffer the pain. There are other things in life that are also important, and any individual who places balance ahead of a singular goal deserves our admiration too.

We Americans are terribly competitive, and sometimes we lose perspective because of that. I marvel at how the coaches I mentioned, and I will certainly put Bob Ladouceur in the group, always seem to, despite their competitive nature, maintain awareness of what's really important.

I watch these men when they meet on the field after a game. There's lots of love for each other with smiles all around. I am often deeply moved when I see them together, as I consider how rare that attitude is. I want to be like them, and I thank all of them for their inspiration.

like how you left out SJB and MD and the past few BG squads...  But hey STA,SFA and IMG are the only recruited up ones am I right? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

If you house players then your a juco , so img and SFA are the juco’s

...but housing isn’t the reason they were ever termed unbeatable and why they’re being discussed at the moment. It’s the amount of Division 1 talent on the team.

Yes, Mater Dei and St John Bosco are schools but they fit the bill, talentwise.

Here is 2018 Mater Dei, IMG, and St John Bosco

95AC4BF3-6C91-467F-B3BF-8BCDBC884D9B.jpeg

C67D30FF-590E-49B0-A038-0EC6999B8849.jpeg

8760951F-BCF5-41E2-8999-352A5BAAD543.jpeg

compared to 2015 Bishop Gorman, 2019 St Francis Academy, and 2019 St Thomas Aquinas.

B9B78D75-254F-423A-8BA2-92E46002EB4C.jpeg

88D32A96-7341-4E2F-8133-C93A82D5E2F6.jpeg

8269E06E-F64E-4637-A555-066B390F3A16.jpeg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

...but housing isn’t the reason they were ever termed unbeatable and why they’re being discussed at the moment. It’s the amount of Division 1 talent on the team.

Yes, Mater Dei and St John Bosco are schools but they fit the bill, talentwise.

Here is 2018 Mater Dei, IMG, and St John Bosco

95AC4BF3-6C91-467F-B3BF-8BCDBC884D9B.jpeg

C67D30FF-590E-49B0-A038-0EC6999B8849.jpeg

8760951F-BCF5-41E2-8999-352A5BAAD543.jpeg

compared to 2015 Bishop Gorman, 2019 St Francis Academy, and 2019 St Thomas Aquinas.

B9B78D75-254F-423A-8BA2-92E46002EB4C.jpeg

88D32A96-7341-4E2F-8133-C93A82D5E2F6.jpeg

8269E06E-F64E-4637-A555-066B390F3A16.jpeg

Shit DFB has 20 + D1 kids on their roster, Are they a Juco?

They are beatable because even loaded in talent many of these "all star" teams have players who have already checked out of high school level and are more concerned with staying healthy for college so they won't be as hungry or play as hard

Not to mention some these schools never focus on the fundamentals, that and the questionable conditioning is the biggest thing I saw with IMG that I felt make them beatable

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

A perfect example is both of STAs losses to DBP. DBP had very few elite college players on those teams. 

Yeah and those STA teams were probably better conditioned than the IMG teams I've seen

I've never seen a team gassed in the trenches in the 1st quarter like IMG was, I was stunned that I was watching the same team who chopped down national elites like wood because I couldn't figure out how this team was gonna have the conditioning to beat any elite team 

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Probably the same amount Allen or duncanville has

Duncanville QB Jaquienden Jackson played all 4 years at Duncanville. Ennis Rackeshaw all 4 years at Duncanville. Chris Thompson all 4 years at Duncanville. I'm not saying they don't get a transfer because they just literally got one for next season but they don't have that many players with Star ratings coming in. I was legitimate curious of those players on that list how many played at another school. Im not taking a shot. It was a serious question. Why are you so offended ? Your team is some New Jersey scrub team that had 4 loses last year.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

Duncanville QB Jaquienden Jackson played all 4 years at Duncanville. Ennis Rackeshaw all 4 years at Duncanville. Chris Thompson all 4 years at Duncanville. I'm not saying they don't get a transfer because they just literally got one for next season but they don't have that many players with Star ratings coming in. I was legitimate curious of those players on that list how many played at another school. Im not taking a shot. It was a serious question. Why are you so offended ? Your team is some New Jersey scrub team that had 4 loses last year.

I’m not offended, I just don’t like 2 faced people, your worrying about a private 2,000 miles away when Allen in your backyard has free agency every offseason 

• Haha 2

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I’m not offended, I just don’t like 2 faced people, your worrying about a private 2,000 miles away when Allen in your backyard has free agency every offseason 

Man fuck Allen. Nobody in Texas cares for them but you can't show me a list of talent like that on none of there teams. They definitely got away with some things but they couldn't get 10+ FBS players in a single season if that's what you're thinking. Once again I'm not trying to take a shot at these school. I legit want to know if those players how many went to a prior HS. 

13 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

Mater Dei and St John Bosco are the same as IMG and SFA. Transferred up super teams. They’re the Monstarz of HSFB! Along with USA of course!!! 

Interesting take but far off. STA not on your list? 🤣🤣 MD, SJB, = Actual high schools that offer everything a regular high school does. IMG, SFA, USA = “schools” that move kids in from OOS for free and have a sole focus on football. (See SFA’s “Move in day” on Twitter.) Elias Ricks can tell you the difference in MD and IMG. One is an actual school and one is a sports academy. Biff runs SFA because he funds the whole thing top to bottom, that’s his school to do whatever he wants with it. Doesn’t work that way down here. You can’t take a look at the transfer numbers from this past season and see if MD is equivalent to IMG or SFA like you say they are. Can either school say they had transfers that started this past year, of those starters that had already been enrolled at MD for an entire year before the start of their senior year. MD is not operated like IMG or Frances, it’s just not. Neither one of those schools tells Kendall Milton 5* Georgia signee or No. 7 QB in the nation Miller Moss no thank you because of admissions requirements but that’s exactly what happened at MD. After watching griffiths struggle on the big boy field Biff would’ve written a check with 15 zeroes to get Miller Moss to go to IMGBaltimore. I assume MD is categorized with IMG and Frances because they’ve been the only school to beat them. Flattering. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

I assume MD is categorized with IMG and Frances because they’ve been the only school to beat them. Flattering. 

You assumed wrong. It’s because they recruit and plug holes like the teams mentioned above. Anytime someone graduates y’all start making phone calls. Ain’t nothing new. Check out some of the newest additions from this past month below. You can polish your pig all you want but it still oinks 

0BD308F9-9265-4D49-84FD-5E3983B5BA3E.jpeg

F2110D98-AB79-45C4-A9D4-B370EF01CDE9.jpeg

6A8A1D69-B4BC-4A6B-BE55-3464D059CC4A.jpeg

82623CFE-5A13-416B-AD62-FB3B137753C0.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Just now, ATLien12x said:

You assumed wrong. It’s because they recruit and plug holes like the teams mentioned above. You can polish your pig all you want but it still oinks 

0BD308F9-9265-4D49-84FD-5E3983B5BA3E.jpeg

F2110D98-AB79-45C4-A9D4-B370EF01CDE9.jpeg

6A8A1D69-B4BC-4A6B-BE55-3464D059CC4A.jpeg

82623CFE-5A13-416B-AD62-FB3B137753C0.jpeg

Difference in transferring to another school and moving into dorms from out of state but you already knew that! Transferring happens everywhere. Having your rent paid by your coach or reclassifying to play a 5th year of HS does not happen everywhere. Duncanvilles two starting linebackers this year are both transfers, are they recruiting to fill their holes like IMG? I don’t see it that way.  Never said MD didn’t get transfers. All above transfers will have to complete the same requirements as the other kids in order to graduate. Can’t show up at MD for football season their senior year and then graduate in December to go to college, you can do that at the other schools. It’s not the same as IMG, USA,  or Frances and it’s really not that hard to tell. Safe to say all 44 starters at IMG & SFA were transfers right?  Not the same.