Movies

Belly Bob

I used to watch about 2 movies a year, but I've been watching a lot more of them lately, and I've been developing a greater appreciation for them.

I just watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I wasn't excited about it, because I'm not a huge QT fan -- I remember liking his earlier stuff, but I haven't been crazy about his recent stuff -- but my wife wanted to watch it, so we did. It was very good. Brad Pitt is as cool as he was in Snatch or Fight Club. And it's funny in the way that QT's best movies are. 

And I watched Henry V, which is a Netflix movie, which I can also recommend. It's not quite history and it's not quite Shakespeare, and it's nothing new, but it's well done, and the kid who plays Henry is talented. He did a good job.

Are there any cinephiles on this forum? What's good that I might've missed?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

I used to watch about 2 movies a year, but I've been watching a lot more of them lately, and I've been developing a greater appreciation for them.

I just watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I wasn't excited about it, because I'm not a huge QT fan -- I remember liking his earlier stuff, but I haven't been crazy about his recent stuff -- but my wife wanted to watch it, so we did. It was very good. Brad Pitt is as cool as he was in Snatch or Fight Club. And it's funny in the way that QT's best movies are. 

And I watched Henry V, which is a Netflix movie, which I can also recommend. It's not quite history and it's not quite Shakespeare, and it's nothing new, but it's well done, and the kid who plays Henry is talented. He did a good job.

I liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, too -- wasn't sure going in, but ended up liking it.

Ford vs. Ferrari was entertaining, particularly if your wife is from Detroit and knows all about the front-end weight, etc. of some of the early muscle cars. She paused the movie a couple times to fill me in on some of the gearhead talk. It was cute, and I was impressed.

One I really thought was good is The Two Popes. It's on Netflix. I very much enjoyed watching it. Twice.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

Episode 15 of season 4 will really suck for you. Lol

Season 6 episode 6 was the most memorable/insane/wtfjusthappenedmultipletimes to date 

Last episode before mid season break was a big wtf moment....

No spoliers!!! Lol. Thought Ragnar was a gonner.  Rollo fell into the moat sinking to the bottom with still open eyes..yet he survived?  Wtf

• Confused 1

On 2/17/2020 at 4:52 PM, Belly Bob said:

[...]

[...]

I got the title wrong. It's called the King, not Henry V.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Binged on Netflix. Designated Survivor, and Blacklisted. Me and the wife watched - she picked and were decent, The Witcher, and Outlander. Waiting for the next season sucks though.

My all time favorite Movies are "A Beautiful Mind" and "Gladiator". They have been around  a long time though.

I liked A Beautiful Mind and Gladiator a lot, too. I still listen Horner's soundtrack sometimes when I'm working. 

On 2/17/2020 at 1:52 PM, Belly Bob said:

On 2/17/2020 at 5:00 PM, maxchoboian said:

I liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, too -- wasn't sure going in, but ended up liking it.

@Belly Bob @maxchoboian

I'm not normally a huge QT fan either, and like you both, wasn't too excited and didn't know anything about the movie going in.  I emerged a big fan of this one.

Early on, the shot of the Cielo Drive sign filled me with a sense of dread about the coming Helter Skelter and it never really abated.  I thought it was really cool the way the movie focused on a time when the culture was changing, and along with it the Hollywood  ideal of the leading man.  DiCaprio played the fading western hero in the movies, but in real life he was more like the emerging ideal (a bit of a mess in QT's mind).  And Pitt was the authentic cowboy hero...Thru Pitt, the true and uncomplaining friend, QT in his once upon a time fairy tale gets his revenge for a lot of what he sees as wrongs in Hollywood.  

Plus, having lived in Westwood, watching Margo Robbie in and around the Village theater where I used to watch movies (along with all the other LA landmarks in the movie) made me nostalgic.  The treatment of Bruce Lee, one of my hero's, bummed me out -- But the scene itself was really cool (and the aftermath funny), and totally in keeping with QT's vision of setting wrongs right.  QT's over the top violence always bothers me, but I get why he did it when he did it in this one.  

I dunno exactly why, but I found it to be a brilliant film.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Binged on Netflix. Designated Survivor, and Blacklisted. Me and the wife watched - she picked and were decent, The Witcher, and Outlander. Waiting for the next season sucks though.

My all time favorite Movies are "A Beautiful Mind" and "Gladiator". They have been around  a long time though.

R u not entertained 

10 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

[...]

Plus, having lived in Westwood, watching Margo Robbie in and around the Village theater where I used to watch movies (along with all the other LA landmarks in the movie) made me nostalgic.  The treatment of Bruce Lee, one of my hero's, bummed me out -- But the scene itself was really cool (and the aftermath funny), and totally in keeping with QT's vision of setting wrongs right.  QT's over the top violence always bothers me, but I get why he did it when he did it in this one.  

I told my wife I had walked by that theater a few times (to seem cool), but secretly I wasn't sure. Is it the one right outside UCLA in Westwood Village?

I don't like the violence either, which is why I've been turned off to his recent stuff. I watched The Hateful Eight a few years ago and hated it. But in this one, the violence was confined to that one scene, and it does make sense, given what QT was up to in this movie. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

@Belly Bob @maxchoboian

I'm not normally a huge QT fan either, and like you both, wasn't too excited and didn't know anything about the movie going in.  I emerged a big fan of this one.

Early on, the shot of the Cielo Drive sign filled me with a sense of dread about the coming Helter Skelter and it never really abated.  I thought it was really cool the way the movie focused on a time when the culture was changing, and along with it the Hollywood  ideal of the leading man.  DiCaprio played the fading western hero in the movies, but in real life he was more like the emerging ideal (a bit of a mess in QT's mind).  And Pitt was the authentic cowboy hero...Thru Pitt, the true and uncomplaining friend, QT in his once upon a time fairy tale gets his revenge for a lot of what he sees as wrongs in Hollywood.  

I wanted to see OUATIH but have been so busy... The trailer and Brad Pitt sold me, I'll have to put it on my must see list.

I need to make time to go out more often... The wife needs it too.

10 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

I told my wife I had walked by that theater a few times (to seem cool), but secretly I wasn't sure. Is it the one right outside UCLA in Westwood Village?

@Belly Bob

Yes, it's the one just south of campus, there's almost no way you didn't see or walk past it.   Here's my best personal story about the place. 

I don't know if they still do it, but given it's proximity to Hollywood and the drama school and all, when I was at UCLA, a lot of movies had their world premier in Westwood.  Students could go for cheap, and they'd take audience reactions afterward.  I got to see the world premier of Apocalypse Now at that theater.  Afterward, when we were walking out, a guy stops us to get our reaction.  He literally was standing there talking to us, his right arm draped over the top of his head, hand dangling next to his left ear, asking questions.  After a bit, I asked him is name.  He replied Francis...It was HIM...FWIW, I gave him a good review, but it would have been funnier if I had said "the horror."

Haven't talked to my buddy Francis since, but sometimes I drink his wine...

image.jpeg.436332e1d22582c778185a9d79fa6c4c.jpeg 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

@Belly Bob

Yes, it's the one just south of campus, there's almost no way you didn't see or walk past it.   Here's my best personal story about the place. 

I don't know if they still do it, but given it's proximity to Hollywood and the drama school and all, when I was at UCLA, a lot of movies had their world premier in Westwood.  Students could go for cheap, and they'd take audience reactions afterward.  I got to see the world premier of Apocalypse Now at that theater.  Afterward, when we were walking out, a guy stops us to get our reaction.  He literally was standing there talking to us, his right arm draped over the top of his head, hand dangling next to his left ear, asking questions.  After a bit, I asked him is name.  He replied Francis...It was HIM...FWIW, I gave him a good review, but it would have been funnier if I had said "the horror."

Haven't talked to my buddy Francis since, but sometimes I drink his wine...

That's a great story. That line would've been solid. I still use it with my wife. I haven't had his wine yet, but I see it all the time. I always think, "He's got enough money. Let me help someone else get rich." Maybe I'll pick up a bottle the next time I'm in the wine aisle.

You might check out Ad Astra. It was clearly influenced by Apocalypse Now. You'll be struck by a few scenes: they're nearly identical to scenes from AN. It's not in the same league as AN, but it's still pretty good. It has a few serious flaws, but it's beautiful to watch, and it's contemplative and, like AN, it explores both culture and the individual, and Brad Pitt's good in it. I'm a Brad Pitt fan. 

There's a documentary on the making of AN -- I can't remember the title -- but it's very good, too. 

I read Conrad's Heart of Darkness not too long ago. Overrated, in my opinion. But sometimes it's interesting to read the books that influenced the movies. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 5:00 PM, maxchoboian said:

Ford vs. Ferrari was entertaining, particularly if your wife is from Detroit and knows all about the front-end weight, etc. of some of the early muscle cars. She paused the movie a couple times to fill me in on some of the gearhead talk. It was cute, and I was impressed.

One I really thought was good is The Two Popes. It's on Netflix. I very much enjoyed watching it. Twice.

That show was awesome!

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 4:52 PM, Belly Bob said:

This one may be re-released in theatres as early as this weekend...according to the rumors...

might have to check it out again (easter eggs??).... as I barely remember it 🐸 😄

Conspiracy theorists think it's just some LARP dog whistle....(Which reminds me of the story of how the NFL GIANTS used that 'Gladiator' movie above as a 'team thingy' the year of their Superbowl run)...

If your lost, you can check out the thread I just started. 😏