2020 Out Of State games so far

Ga96

On 6/3/2020 at 10:08 AM, Nolebull813 said:

The football team has attached themself to the school and got rid of the Bishop Sycamore name. I bet Bishop Sycamore would be disappointed they did that, if he ever existed in the first place.

It seems they dropped the Youthbuild Columbus Community School charade and are now just Bishop Sycamore, which is just a name for a club team.  Meanwhile, Dusty Devaughn is still claiming on Facebook that USA Academy football is still on for Fall 2020, just waiting for ASU to lift it's indefinite campus closure.  But things are looking up in the Montgomery area as far as COVID-19 is concerned.

6 minutes ago, CODBEARD said:

Nevermind , gave USAA's spot to Word of God Christian Academy... doh

SFA Schedule is now:

8/28 Woodrow Wilson (NJ)

9/4- @Centennial (CA) ?

9/12- @Duncanville (TX)

9/25 -Liberty (NV)

10/2- Palmetto (FL)

10/9- @ St Thomas More (CT)

10/16- Word of God Christian Academy (NC)  wtf?

10/23- West Toronto Prep (Canada)

10/30- Bishop Bullshit (OH)

11/6- Life Christian Academy (VA)

11/13- @ IMG

Bishop Bullshit by 17....

bgw

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CODBEARD said:

maybe..if they actually get off the bus to play this time.. 😂

They're running out of players, parents, coaches, bus drivers, and game officials willing to take an IOU.  On the plus side, a guy that's been bankrupt twice can always be hosed again.

13 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

Nevermind , gave USAA's spot to Word of God Christian Academy... doh

SFA Schedule is now:

8/28 Woodrow Wilson (NJ)

9/4- @Centennial (CA) ?

9/12- @Duncanville (TX)

9/25 -Liberty (NV)

10/2- Palmetto (FL)

11/13- @ IMG

I would say this game is a major question mark and greater then 50% chance it won’t happen...

4 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

SFA Schedule is now:

8/28 Woodrow Wilson (NJ)

9/4- Cancelled

9/12- @Duncanville (TX)

9/25 -Liberty (NV)

10/2- Palmetto (FL)

11/13- @ IMG

Going to be hard to get voted MNC with this schedule. They basically have two games. The only shot is both IMG and SFA meet undefeated and they will still have to see what happens in the Cali play-offs. Most definitely needs a MD v SJB split.. poor Biff can't buy a break..woe is Biff... lol

I thought the Miami palmetto game was off

58 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

GC just lost their starting QB. Transferred to St. Albans DC. 

Lured by the chance to air it out? St. Albans has been irreverent even in the IAC for a decade and with Sidwell Friends getting Donald Davis I don't think they're even the best non-WCAC private school in DC. 

• Like 1

Fascinating to read this thread.  Florida just had its worst four days ever  for the virus and Texas also a hit a new high with hospitalizations up 66% since Memorial Day. Additionally the state also had its largest single day increase in new cases with 2622 reported and the overall total is now over 93,000.  While the TX governor is not alarmed the Austin mayor (on Brian Williams as I type this) is.  

Then there is AZ, South Carolina and the Trump mass insanity in Tulsa.

In the northern VA suburbs of DC which are still only partially  open most everyone wears a mask.  We have over 13,000 positive in Fairfax county, Maryland’s Prince George’s with DeMatha has over 16,000 positive.  Downtown DC is empty in the daytime with most stores closed and no tourists.  

We are not coming out of this anytime soon no matter how much Trump ignores, lies or misrepresents the threat.

I honestly believe that until there is a vaccine there will be few sports played in the U. S.

I sincerely hope I am wrong.  But I am still scared.

By the way my wife and I and daughter in law all personally had the Covid test last week.  No symptoms and we are negative.  But it HURT LIKE HELL!  Serious.

Good luck to all.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

Lured by the chance to air it out? St. Albans has been irreverent even in the IAC for a decade and with Sidwell Friends getting Donald Davis I don't think they're even the best non-WCAC private school in DC. 

I’m not sure this was a football decision. He may be thinking Ivy at then next level. I’ve always had the stance that if you get into STA, you go to STA no matter what. Too many connections to pass up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NicholasMalibu said:

I’m not sure this was a football decision. He may be thinking Ivy at then next level. I’ve always had the stance that if you get into STA, you go to STA no matter what. Too many connections to pass up. 

That's what I thought initially too but GC has put football kids at Penn and Cornell in recent years so it's not like they can't put kids at Ivy League schools. You may be right about the connections though. STA's are hard to match for all but the most elite prep schools.

1 hour ago, CODBEARD said:

I am not sure you get to be "in the club" as a 1 yr football mercenary.  Pretty sure you have to be in that club initially to get the big connections...

Maybe 10 years ago. Schools like Sidwell, Maret and STA are starting to embrace athletic transfers that can meet the academic load. The basketball teams are much, much more competitive for this reason. 

1 hour ago, eaglesinsider said:

That's what I thought initially too but GC has put football kids at Penn and Cornell in recent years so it's not like they can't put kids at Ivy League schools. You may be right about the connections though. STA's are hard to match for all but the most elite prep schools.

That’s true. All of the WCAC schools place football players at Ivy League schools. I know DeMatha had QB’s at Princeton and Columbia over the last 4 years. I’m sure Gonzaga, GC and SJC have done similar. I honestly think it has to do with being a part of the St. Albans network. It’s unmatched. I’d do the same thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

Why didn't he just go there to begin with then?..  I don't know, to me, going to a school one year and getting the same diploma as the kids who put in 4 years just seems to cheapen the whole thing ..just me I guess..  I know as a parent and I put in hundreds of thousands dollars over 4 years and my kid did the work for 4 years , it wouldn't sit well with me a kid coming in for 1 year, the easiest year, hardly pay anything and get the same diploma and considerations.. just doesn't seem right. 

I understand your point. From the other side, a lot of kids that go to WCAC schools think they’ll grab an offer from Alabama by their sophomore year then reality hits. Should they not have a second chance at a more elite academic school? I can’t judge it either way. 

You have guys like Josh Hart(NBA-Pelicans) who transferred into Sidwell Friends and changed the landscape of their basketball program while bringing massive student and alumni involvement to athletic events. That is something that will be remembered forever by that community. I don’t think he’s looked at any different than the kids that started in the lower school. I mean, President Obama(daughters went to Sidwell) has made several comments about Hart being “a Sidwell guy”.

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one is talking about the biggest news of the day.  IMG Academy will be taking on Bishop Sycamore Innovation High School from Columbus, Ohio on Friday, November 6th.  What's the line on this game?  I'm not a betting man but I'll say 2.

What's the word on Bishop Sycamore's roster?  Who will be the starting QB?  Starting RB?  Forget that, who's the head coach?  OC? DC?  Where are they practicing?  Where will their first home game be played in just 65 short days?  Just wondering.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

I see that point also but I also think far too much importance is put on sports in this country but that is a whole different conversation... I would be interested in what @eaglesinsider thinks on this. Him being a McDonogh grad which is a similar type school that has a diploma considered as prestigious.How would he feel about a kid coming in his SR year and getting the same diploma he put 4 years into getting?  I know these schools never used to take any upper class transfers but some do now.  Not sure if McD takes SR transfers or not but I know in his time they didn't take any or many transfers at all but a couple after freshman year.. One and done sports mercenary students cheapen the accomplishment of graduating from such a school and as a results cheapens the value of the diploma.. again that's just me.. what say you @eaglesinsider?

I'm not sure McDonogh has ever taken a senior transfer. Usually none or maybe one junior and less than five sophomore transfers. To a degree it does "cheapen" the diploma if someone say did 3 years at Overlea or Northern Garrett and comes in and leaves with a McDonogh diploma.

There's a very unique culture at a school like that that is hard to just jump into even if you don't get into the academic pedigree. I have a family history with McDonogh stretching back several generations. It still took me the better part of three years to truly feel "in the club" as @NicholasMalibu says. You're dealing with a whole different level of rich that 95% of Americans will never even interact with in normal life. I'll never forget one of my classmates telling a kid whose family's net worth was probably about $10 million to stop acting like he was rich. One of my friends belonged to one of the most prominent business families in American history. As someone once told me you know you've gotten into serious money when your company uses "summer" as a verb.

The other thing to consider is that the big time money kids, the ones with the real connections that will help you later in life, usually aren't playing football and basketball. I'd have been thrilled to get a big time senior transfer when I was playing but I doubt my billionaire buddy who played squash would have even noticed. Now if you're talking alumni connections, there may be some well placed alumni who have a vested interest in football doing well. In my experience though usually they will only be receptive to kids who transfer in late if they have a special career and help the team win a lot of games. Saint Alban's doesn't have the football pedigree of a McDonogh, Gilman or Georgetown Prep, either. They haven't had a winning record since 2011, when Georgetown Prep was still in the MIAA and everyone in the IAC sucked outside of Landon, who was still only an MIAA B caliber team. 

Here's how I'd sum up the academic side of things: I graduated with less than 140 kids. We hit all 8 Ivy Leagues, Cal, Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Duke, Vandy, UNC, UVA, Texas and pretty much every one of the top 20 or so liberal arts colleges. If you asked any of my classmates they'd all agree that we did work at McDonogh that was more difficult then anything we did at some of the top colleges in the nation. As a junior I was writing papers that I could have submitted with no changes 5 years later when I was working on my master's. If someone is allowed to skip all that and then coast their senior year (which is by far the easiest if you don't load up with APs) and leave with a McDonogh degree, you definitely didn't earn it in the way everyone else did.

• Like 4