GHSA to vote on new transfer rule today.

CCBlackhatter

The GHSA will vote on a "50% sit out rule" for transfers.

In summary, the school "receiving" the transfer will have to verify that the student athlete makes a bonafide move into the district. Upon verification, the "receiving" school will send a document to the "sending" school asking them to approve of the transfer. If the "sending" school approves the transfer, the "50% sit out rule" will not be implemented. If the "sending" school denies the transfer, then the "receiving" school can appeal, and must PROVE that the transfer WAS NOT for athletics. If the "receiving" is successful in their appeal, the "50% rule" will not be implemented.

Read more here:

http://www.ghsa.net/sites/default/files/documents/executive-committee/AgendaMay2017.pdf

Sounds kind of like how Texas does it, where the new school has to ask the old school if they deem it an athletic transfer. 

It also seems like a bit of a compromise as many were hoping for a one year sit out, but they are voting on a 50% of a calender year sit out. If a student transfers for football, but does so before March, they would likely be able to play the next applicable season. It still may curve the rash of summer transferring that we have been getting accustomed to.

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Sounds kind of like how Texas does it, where the new school has to ask the old school if they deem it an athletic transfer. 

It also seems like a bit of a compromise as many were hoping for a one year sit out, but they are voting on a 50% of a calender year sit out. If a student transfers for football, but does so before March, they would likely be able to play the next applicable season. It still may curve the rash of summer transferring that we have been getting accustomed to.

Yes, the new rule will only apply to those transfers after the date that the new rule is passed. Some will slip through this season for sure.

Personally, it won't do much for curbing the transfers, as schools will just sit them the first 5 games, and they will be ready for region play and the playoffs (the real season) when it really matters.

If they aren't going to adopt a full season ban, they should have proposed this rule with the addition that the transfer must sit from all team activities until the 5 game stipulation has been fulfilled. That means no spring or summer workouts, no scrimmages, no team meetings, no practices, etc. I feel that would help negate the fact that the transfer can play in the pivotal point of the season.

11 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Yes, the new rule will only apply to those transfers after the date that the new rule is passed. Some will slip through this season for sure.

Personally, it won't do much for curbing the transfers, as schools will just sit them the first 5 games, and they will be ready for region play and the playoffs (the real season) when it really matters.

If they aren't going to adopt a full season ban, they should have proposed this rule with the addition that the transfer must sit from all team activities until the 5 game stipulation has been fulfilled. That means no spring or summer workouts, no scrimmages, no team meetings, no practices, etc. I feel that would help negate the fact that the transfer can play in the pivotal point of the season.

To me the wording "calendar year" means January to December or basically 6 months. If they said school year or respective season it would be better. 

The way I read it, a player can win a championship with Valdosta, transfer in January to Grayson and... let's count them together...

February-1

March-2

April-3

May-4

June-5

July-6

By August, playing ball again. 

Technically, the player could play both seasons at different schools back to back if that interpretation is correct. 

There again like you said, they can transfer in the summer as well and still be playing varsity by playoffs. 

The GHSA is brilliant at making it look like they are doing something while technically doing nothing. xD

They always leave these weird loopholes like that. 

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

To me the wording "calendar year" means January to December or basically 6 months. If they said school year or respective season it would be better. 

The way I read it, a player can win a championship with Valdosta, transfer in January to Grayson and... let's count them together...

February-1

March-2

April-3

May-4

June-5

July-6

By August, playing ball again. 

Technically, the player could play both seasons at different schools back to back if that interpretation is correct. 

There again like you said, they can transfer in the summer as well and still be playing varsity by playoffs. 

The GHSA is brilliant at making it look like they are doing something while technically doing nothing. xD

They always leave these weird loopholes like that. 

I serious think this group of dummies get together and draft this stuff without much thought.

It is a lost cause up there... I agree.