1 hour ago, eaglesinsider said:

Curley was definitely the Catholic school for the working man's sons from Essex, Dundalk or Sparrow Point. I once met a Curley lineman whose dad was a Baltimore City beat cop and mom worked in Baltimore City corrections. Hard to get much more tough nosed/blue collar than that. Pretty representative of that group in my experience. Agree on the all-black unis and Princeton helmet. With those Sean Murphy coached teams you knew you were in for a four quarter dogfight in a phonebooth.

Murph is HC of a startup 8-man football program at a tiny Catholic school in the Greenville, NC area now. In only their second year as a program, he's got them sitting at 4-1 and ranked #2 in the state with 2 games left and their only loss being to the undefeated, #1 ranked team in the state. The man can definitely coach some football.

Haha my old mans hometown. Rough patch of real estate there ....I mean it was literally all a steel mill.

• Like 3
  • Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before & after playing MD! 

Biff does a great job of taking in mostly kids who would have been highly recruited athletes anyway and making it all about himself, always has been. Not a lot of talent development going on, just tak

Good for him.. the first thing they can teach him is how to spell the name of the school..

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Haha my old mans hometown. Rough patch of real estate there ....I mean it was literally all a steel mill.

In my very early 20's I worked at Sparrows Point Country Club in the pro shop. The closure of Beth Steel crushed the area. As well as the folks who worked all their lives there got hosed on their retirement after the BK.. Peoples who's retirement should have been 2500 a month was whittled down to 250.. Criminal what happened really. A lot of good people hurt bad.. Many of the fine folks I met working there (SPCC) lost everything..🤬  Many of those Beth Steel employees kids also went to Curley.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

Curley was definitely the Catholic school for the working man's sons from Essex, Dundalk or Sparrow Point. I once met a Curley lineman whose dad was a Baltimore City beat cop and mom worked in Baltimore City corrections. Hard to get much more tough nosed/blue collar than that. Pretty representative of that group in my experience. Agree on the all-black unis and Princeton helmet. With those Sean Murphy coached teams you knew you were in for a four quarter dogfight in a phonebooth.

Murph is HC of a startup 8-man football program at a tiny Catholic school in the Greenville, NC area now. In only their second year as a program, he's got them sitting at 4-1 and ranked #2 in the state with 2 games left and their only loss being to the undefeated, #1 ranked team in the state. The man can definitely coach some football.

lol.. true.. Murph's teams no splits, foot to foot.. ,,

Boys Varsity Football - Archbishop Curley High School - Baltimore, Maryland  - Football - Hudl

Boys Varsity Football - Archbishop Curley High School - Baltimore, Maryland  - Football - Hudl

@eaglesinsider Curley's last great back Deonte Harris plays for the Saints.. I remember watching that kid all through rec.  His teams never lost at Middle River where he ran the single wing and scored just about every other play..he played as an older but lighter down an age though .. the old pop warner rules.lol.. I was slated to be the JV DC at Curley back when Curley was on our list to go to before the move to DE.. I coached with the then JV HC at Middle River and also repped Curley coaching at some combine and camps. . This was the year before starting the Harco Horns program, we also used Curley ( Calvert Hall, St Pauls, John Carroll and Loyola as well)  as one of our home fields with the Horns and sent Murph some pretty good players. McDonogh (eventually via Calvert Hall) ) got one of our best players though, Mylique McGriff.. fond memories of Murph, Curley and Baltimore area youth football scene..:)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

In my very early 20's I worked at Sparrows Point Country Club in the pro shop. The closure of Beth Steel crushed the area. As well as the folks who worked all their lives there got hosed on their retirement after the BK.. Peoples who's retirement should have been 2500 a month was whittled down to 250.. Criminal what happened really. A lot of good people hurt bad.. Many of the fine folks I met working there (SPCC) lost everything..🤬  Many of those Beth Steel employees kids also went to Curley.

My dads dad worked for the mill for BS (as did that whole town). Died at 49 and my dad joined the Air Force at 17 and left in like 59’. Even though it was post war booming he wanted out and was worried about the steel industry decline.

I went back to SP /Dundalk for my grandmothers funeral in 81’ and it was on life support and really depressing. Went back in 2000 and it looked about the same. I’ve seen there’s been some redevelopment since and hoping to take my dad out there one last time so he can see it.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Cossacks said:

My dads dad worked for the mill for BS (as did that whole town). Died at 49 and my dad joined the Air Force at 17 and left in like 59’. Even though it was post war booming he wanted out and was worried about the steel industry decline.

I went back to SP /Dundalk for my grandmothers funeral in 81’ and it was on life support and really depressing. Went back in 2000 and it looked about the same. I’ve seen there’s been some redevelopment since and hoping to take my dad out there one last time so he can see it.

My wife's family is all from down there. Brooklyn and Highlandtown areas.  My father in law was an Iron Worker (worked on the Key Bridge) then later caught on with GM as a millwright there until he retired just before they closed shop. It was sort of a blessing he had dementia when they leveled the place for a storage facility. Would have crushed him. We got married in the same old church her parents did. Sacred Heart of Jesus down on Conkling St in Highlandtown. Had our reception at her Dad's before and after work hangout Jimmy's Famous Seafood & Bar...lol...

695296516_SacredHeartofJesusSagradoCorazndeJess-GoogleMaps.png.3d675fd94c2649583f0e5253f5e227ec.png

• Like 4

An interesting Sparrows Point Country Club story. The richest man there , you wouldn't know it to look at him.. dressed like a bum lol,  loved him some golf he was the first one out every morning almost every single day.  So I asked the pro one day, what's up with that guy? Pro tells me Son that man makes 100k every morning before he even takes his first shit. Turns out he invented the gizmo that makes the seat belt go out and retract but locks when its jerked hard. Obviously still in use today.. I ended up getting to know the man a little but man he was out there..lol

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

@eaglesinsider Curley's last great back Deonte Harris plays for the Saints.. I remember watching that kid all through rec.  His teams never lost at Middle River where he ran the single wing and scored just about every other play..he played as an older but lighter down an age though .. the old pop warner rules.lol.. I was slated to be the JV DC at Curley back when Curley was on our list to go to before the move to DE.. I coached with the then JV HC at Middle River and also repped Curley coaching at some combine and camps. . This was the year before starting the Harco Horns program, we also used Curley ( Calvert Hall, St Pauls, John Carroll and Loyola as well)  as one of our home fields with the Horns and sent Murph some pretty good players. McDonogh (eventually via Calvert Hall) ) got one of our best players though, Mylique McGriff.. fond memories of Murph, Curley and Baltimore area youth football scene..:)

Deonte Harris is a typical Curley kid too. Partial scholarship to D2 Assumption, works his ass off, makes multiple All-American teams, goes undrafted, makes the Saints roster as a UDFA and then is a Pro Bowl KR in his rookie season. 

Matt Hatton who is the AD at Curley now and I go way back. I always try to swing buy when I'm in the area. I love B Conference football, reminds me of what the A Conference once was. Plus a lot of them still play the 3:30 Friday kickoffs which means you can go hit their game and a 7:00 MIAA A or public school game in the same day with time for dinner in between.

Mylique was a a great player. Loved seeing him play in orange and black. Some real studs went through that Horns program!

9 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

lol.. true.. Murph's teams no splits, foot to foot.. ,,

That double wing brings me back. It was bad enough to play Curley in the regular season but we scrimmaged them one year and that was terrible. We did no prep work for them since it was a scrimmage and they kicked our ass up and down the field with that double wing. Defense just wasn't ready for it. We had a good team that year too.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

Deonte Harris is a typical Curley kid too. Partial scholarship to D2 Assumption, works his ass off, makes multiple All-American teams, goes undrafted, makes the Saints roster as a UDFA and then is a Pro Bowl KR in his rookie season. 

Matt Hatton who is the AD at Curley now and I go way back. I always try to swing buy when I'm in the area. I love B Conference football, reminds me of what the A Conference once was. Plus a lot of them still play the 3:30 Friday kickoffs which means you can go hit their game and a 7:00 MIAA A or public school game in the same day with time for dinner in between.

Mylique was a a great player. Loved seeing him play in orange and black. Some real studs went through that Horns program!

That double wing brings me back. It was bad enough to play Curley in the regular season but we scrimmaged them one year and that was terrible. We did no prep work for them since it was a scrimmage and they kicked our ass up and down the field with that double wing. Defense just wasn't ready for it. We had a good team that year too.

Mylique was a man at 10 yrs old .lol. Here he is our inaugural year on the 6th grade team...

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

We should have a USAA redux... on the anniversary of the spawning of the Bullshit Monster....

January ain't that far away, huh @GardenStateBaller?

bgw

Still no Federal charges, still no Wetumpka Herald article... ole Double D having a ball with his sons mini stockcar team though, MAYBE paid for by the USAA proceeds ( and CreditAvengers scheme) along with a new Bobcat and trailer for his other sons new landscape company. Now he got some robot stock scheme going lol  Guy even still has USAA founder and pic on his facebook page. LMAO.. Certainly doesn't seem like a man under any kind of investigations.. more GSBBS

ddfb.thumb.png.2dbf1f3ad788aef4c04fa9cb011d10f2.png1541259004_DustyDeVaughnFacebook.png.b9e12c1d9661c30cf1d3a18858b5d01f.png

122336959_137884714699020_4000422940435027444_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=4yaB7_WdPnkAX9webjo&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=bef025e0d967d8dfa470b9b6afbcad4d&oe=5FBE725B

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, CODBEARD said:

Still no Federal charges, still no Wetumpka Herald article... ole Double D having a ball with his sons mini stockcar team though, MAYBE paid for by the USAA proceeds ( and CreditAvengers scheme) along with a new Bobcat and trailer for his other sons new landscape company. Now he got some robot stock scheme going lol  Guy even still has USAA founder and pic on his facebook page. LMAO.. Certainly doesn't seem like a man under any kind of investigations.. more GSBBS

ddfb.thumb.png.2dbf1f3ad788aef4c04fa9cb011d10f2.png1541259004_DustyDeVaughnFacebook.png.b9e12c1d9661c30cf1d3a18858b5d01f.png

122336959_137884714699020_4000422940435027444_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=4yaB7_WdPnkAX9webjo&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=bef025e0d967d8dfa470b9b6afbcad4d&oe=5FBE725B

But, but, but #homeschoolersarepeopletoo....

bgw

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Frickin’ cool thread, thanks men!

bgw

Reminiscing about the good old days has been a lot of fun, definitely more than talking about some recruited up all-star team. This is the real Baltimore football community. A coach like Sean Murphy at Curley actually did all the good Biff claims to have done with 1/1,000 of the resources and without ever seeking attention. He took kids from awful situations, got them a great Catholic education and got them out of Baltimore. And he developed the unheralded kids coming to him with no offers and no 8th grade All-American accolades. You see the worst Baltimore has to offer on the drive into Archbishop Curley and it really restores your faith in private education to see a little, underfunded school in a 60-year old building still doing so much good in their local community.

Dom Damico, my HC at McDonogh used to drive down into one of the roughest neighborhoods in Baltimore every day during preseason practice to pick up one of our guys after he heard he was taking public transport to campus and walking a mile from the nearest metro stop. The kid was probably the worst player on our team but it didn't matter to Coach Dom. A lot of the public school coaches in Baltimore City have stories that seem unbelievable. Those guys are actually the ones saving kids' lives, and they help every kid who wants to play football, not just the few who can help them win a ring.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
On 10/28/2020 at 7:01 PM, eaglesinsider said:

Reminiscing about the good old days has been a lot of fun, definitely more than talking about some recruited up all-star team. This is the real Baltimore football community. A coach like Sean Murphy at Curley actually did all the good Biff claims to have done with 1/1,000 of the resources and without ever seeking attention. He took kids from awful situations, got them a great Catholic education and got them out of Baltimore. And he developed the unheralded kids coming to him with no offers and no 8th grade All-American accolades. You see the worst Baltimore has to offer on the drive into Archbishop Curley and it really restores your faith in private education to see a little, underfunded school in a 60-year old building still doing so much good in their local community.

Dom Damico, my HC at McDonogh used to drive down into one of the roughest neighborhoods in Baltimore every day during preseason practice to pick up one of our guys after he heard he was taking public transport to campus and walking a mile from the nearest metro stop. The kid was probably the worst player on our team but it didn't matter to Coach Dom. A lot of the public school coaches in Baltimore City have stories that seem unbelievable. Those guys are actually the ones saving kids' lives, and they help every kid who wants to play football, not just the few who can help them win a ring.

Eagles I actually played against McDonogh my senior year at Joppatowne... All I remember is everyone was all enamored with the fact y'all had horses on campus. Was like going to one of the Vanderbilt Farms to play for us Po' Harford County Folks....lol I remember you guys were pretty big up front and got my bell rung pretty good by one of your pulling guards. Not cool when your hung over.. just saying 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 10/29/2020 at 10:44 AM, CODBEARD said:

Eagles I actually played against McDonogh my senior year at Joppatowne... All I remember is everyone was all enamored with the fact y'all had horses on campus. Was like going to one of the Vanderbilt Farms to play for us Po' Harford County Folks....lol I remember you guys were pretty big up front and got my bell rung pretty good by one of your pulling guards. Not cool when your hung over.. just saying 

We always played like shit on Saturday morning games. Damn party animals they pissed me off with that shit. We lost to John Carroll on a Sat morning in a game that would have sent us to the play-offs and we were heavily favored too. All I asked was for them not to party that Friday night.. but nooooooooooo. they couldn't do that for one freakin Friday night..  fucking drunken clowns..😠

We were short on numbers ( the other half the team was academically inelligble SMH) but we were all Iron Men, pretty much all of us went both ways. ( no Cossacks not that both ways get your head out the gutter, well maybe a couple of them  lol)

The squad.... J-Towne!

69505778_10157202431265743_6764106873068060672_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=OagOzWKqpskAX_0LZTY&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=c87079f5012be249f87c2fe6f8aa314e&oe=5FC11CB4

I’ll never not be impressed by McD’s campus. They were blessed with those 1,000+ acres.

I always wished we played more public schools. Maybe just one or two a year. McD didn’t play a single public from the mid-90s until 2003 or from ‘04 until ‘13.

We played the public McDonough in ‘03 at their place and didn’t play one again until Franklin in ‘13 or ‘14.

Saturday games were the worst and we played a lot of them until DHB paid for lights. I was partial to the 3:00 Friday kickoffs tho, especially as we usually played terrible B conference teams in those games. Running clock win and your weekend was starting by 5. 

• Like 1
On 10/25/2020 at 7:14 AM, CODBEARD said:

Wish I could find that Red Lion/ Sills OTL piece.. It would be hilarious to see today.. Biff on there talking like he is the savior of high school football and its traditions. Talking like kids should be just kids and play multiple sports and enjoy the high school experience.. blah blah blah... for the record I agreed with him then... So did a friend of mine who read his book and thought so much of it and of him that he transferred his kid to Gilman to play for him. Didn't take too long for him to realize it was all bullshit, the book and Biff,  and transferred his kid out of there.. Another true story... 

You know there are coaches in every city, every year, at many privates schools and publics that help underprivileged, at risk or whatever you want to call them kids make it and get a way out.. It's been happening for years.. Those coaches don't need accolades or shine their way. They truly are for the kids and the young men they reach as a coach. Winning is secondary to them and they wouldn't cheapen their message of hard work and perseverance to be jaded by gaming the system, breaking or stretching the rules to win games or taking the easy way by buying their way to the table.. nope.. They just do their good works day in and day out without any need for adulation..In other words real coaches.. Pieces like this HBO bullshit is a slap in the face to the real ones out there doing it the right and hard way..

When you grossly stack the deck in your favor it's not winning. It's cheating

The reason why you probably can't find it is maybe you're looking up the wrong school name.  Remember, Red Lion did change its name to Eastern Christian Academy (ECA).  That was how they were known when they did those two or three games against Texas schools and had their highest national status.

53 minutes ago, Peanut Gallery said:

The reason why you probably can't find it is maybe you're looking up the wrong school name.  Remember, Red Lion did change its name to Eastern Christian Academy (ECA).  That was how they were known when they did those two or three games against Texas schools and had their highest national status.

umm no.. They did the OTL piece when Sills was an 8th grader at Red Lion.. They were filming all week leading up to Sills first game starting on varsity and then later vs Calvert Hall.. I was there.. So was Mel Kiper (Calvert Hall Alumni) lol.. The reason I can't find it is because it was 2010. I guess I could pay ESPN for access to their archives but it's not THAT important.